• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2a "Protests" and Starbucks

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I even wore my cowboy boots to accommodate his stereotype.

See the "Detained, no, not detained" thread for more of tonight's interesting events.

moneymaker

And from what i have read on many gun forums already this morning it was not a pleasant experience for many folks who did go this event.

Tony4310

I seen no issues. All I seen was support from other customers and staff. I visited 3 Starbucks myself yesterday.

Last edited:

moneymaker

Well its on GT,AR15.com,Defensive carry forum,ect.Sure the list will grow,Just why would you keep doing things to draw attention and keep getting negativity for something you want to pass?Why not push the Senate Bill 1st then OC after its LAW so there is no hassle?That is the only thing i dont see eye to eye about with you guys.

moneymaker

First time OC = Police called to Starbucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's the last time I'm going to ever open-carry, other than sanctioned events, gatherings, meetings, on the range, or off the beaten trail. Not again in public.

I showed up at one of the local Starbucks right at 2 o'clock (I didn't have $2 bills, so I figured if I timed it right...*lightbulb: idea!*) to protest the boycott that the Antis have their panties in a twist over. I had Mas's latest book, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. I had a black leather coat on, with my Glock 22 in a Tagua Gunleather OWB holster undernieth it. My plan was to, once I ordered my coffee, find a seat, take off my jacket, and relax.

After I ordered my Fappachino, I glanced around, and the place was packed. Luckly, there was an open leather seat at the back of the shop. I took it until a table opened up. As I got to the seat, I took off my coat, and a "hush" came over the shop. As I draped my coat against the back of the chair, I sat down and glanced up. There was more than a few eyes glancing my direction. I just ignored them, and continued my business, until the table in front of me opened up. When it did, I got up, draped my coat over the back of the opposite chair, and sat back down to read.

45 minutes later, I glanced to my right, noticing a black-suited-leg, and a voice called out "Hello Sir." I glanced up, expecting to see someone who supported the 2A, a gun-owner, or someone who objected to my presence with a gun.

Instead, it was a member of Vancouver's Finest. I said "hello sir." He asked if he could talk to me for a minute, and I said "sure, should we step outside?" He nodded politely, and I asked if I could leave my things on the table. He said "sure, no problem." I got up and followed him out.

As I stepped outside, I said to him "I can probably guess why you're here," with a small smile. His Seargent came walking up the sidewalk and stood politely next to me. He smiled and gently patted me on the shoulder to move me under the awning outside the shop (it was raining lightly, and breezy).

The officer nodded and said "yeah, you know...open carry, it's..."

"Controversial?" I offered.

"Yeah," he continued. "And yeah, Starbucks has a policy, but people see you in there with a gun, and they can't tell if you're a cop or not." (We were outside a 6-lane very busy road, that was extremely loud, and I was wearing hearing aids, so I listened very carefully, and I am pretty sure that is close to what he said).

"Completely understandable," I agreed.

He asked to see my ID, and I gave him both my CWP, as well as my license. "Got a Glock?" he asked, glancing at my gun.

"Yes sir, Glock 22." His Sgt. asked if I still lived at the same address, to which I responded "yes." He wrote down my info on his pad.

The officer who addressed me called the Sheriff's office (or dispatch, I'm not sure) regarding my permit. He asked my middle name, and his Sgt asked my for my DOB. I don't think his Sgt's radio was working.

I asked them if they were called out here, and he said "yes. Somebody gave us a call. We'll just check your ID, and be on our way."

I tried to explain that I was here protesting the boycott, and the officer said "in solidarity?" I said "yes sir".

Both men were very polite. I was very impressed at their professionalism. At the same time, I was sorry that they had to waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services.

After a minute, they gave my stuff back, and I was allowed to go back inside. I shook the officer's hand and thanked him. I believe he stepped back inside to talk to management, but by the time I reached my seat and looked back towards the door, I could see him outside, walking back to his car.

Once I got back inside, I noticed a couple of people staring at me and, after a minute, I glanced at my coat and thought "concealed means concealed." At the risk of having them called back out again, I went ahead and put my coat back on, where it stayed the rest of the time I was there.

For the first time since I got my permit when I was 21 in 2004; the first time I open-carry, the Cops get called. I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. I'm glad they didn't write me a citation or arrest me for "Unlawful Display". Now that would have been, not only embarrassing, but damaging to our cause to promote our 2A Freedom.

moneymaker

I too got the cold shoulder at starbucks today... No police but it was uncomfortable to say the least. I OC all the time but today was my first almost bad experience. Nasty looks and one of the employees talking under his breath. We left instead of sitting down to enjoy our coffee.

Festus_Hagen

First time OC = Police called to Starbucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's the last time I'm going to ever open-carry, other than sanctioned events, gatherings, meetings, on the range, or off the beaten trail. Not again in public.

I showed up at one of the local Starbucks right at 2 o'clock (I didn't have $2 bills, so I figured if I timed it right...*lightbulb: idea!*) to protest the boycott that the Antis have their panties in a twist over. I had Mas's latest book, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. I had a black leather coat on, with my Glock 22 in a Tagua Gunleather OWB holster undernieth it. My plan was to, once I ordered my coffee, find a seat, take off my jacket, and relax.

After I ordered my Fappachino, I glanced around, and the place was packed. Luckly, there was an open leather seat at the back of the shop. I took it until a table opened up. As I got to the seat, I took off my coat, and a "hush" came over the shop. As I draped my coat against the back of the chair, I sat down and glanced up. There was more than a few eyes glancing my direction. I just ignored them, and continued my business, until the table in front of me opened up. When it did, I got up, draped my coat over the back of the opposite chair, and sat back down to read.

45 minutes later, I glanced to my right, noticing a black-suited-leg, and a voice called out "Hello Sir." I glanced up, expecting to see someone who supported the 2A, a gun-owner, or someone who objected to my presence with a gun.

Instead, it was a member of Vancouver's Finest. I said "hello sir." He asked if he could talk to me for a minute, and I said "sure, should we step outside?" He nodded politely, and I asked if I could leave my things on the table. He said "sure, no problem." I got up and followed him out.

As I stepped outside, I said to him "I can probably guess why you're here," with a small smile. His Seargent came walking up the sidewalk and stood politely next to me. He smiled and gently patted me on the shoulder to move me under the awning outside the shop (it was raining lightly, and breezy).

The officer nodded and said "yeah, you know...open carry, it's..."

"Controversial?" I offered.

"Yeah," he continued. "And yeah, Starbucks has a policy, but people see you in there with a gun, and they can't tell if you're a cop or not." (We were outside a 6-lane very busy road, that was extremely loud, and I was wearing hearing aids, so I listened very carefully, and I am pretty sure that is close to what he said).

"Completely understandable," I agreed.

He asked to see my ID, and I gave him both my CWP, as well as my license. "Got a Glock?" he asked, glancing at my gun.

"Yes sir, Glock 22." His Sgt. asked if I still lived at the same address, to which I responded "yes." He wrote down my info on his pad.

The officer who addressed me called the Sheriff's office (or dispatch, I'm not sure) regarding my permit. He asked my middle name, and his Sgt asked my for my DOB. I don't think his Sgt's radio was working.

I asked them if they were called out here, and he said "yes. Somebody gave us a call. We'll just check your ID, and be on our way."

I tried to explain that I was here protesting the boycott, and the officer said "in solidarity?" I said "yes sir".

Both men were very polite. I was very impressed at their professionalism. At the same time, I was sorry that they had to waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services.

After a minute, they gave my stuff back, and I was allowed to go back inside. I shook the officer's hand and thanked him. I believe he stepped back inside to talk to management, but by the time I reached my seat and looked back towards the door, I could see him outside, walking back to his car.

Once I got back inside, I noticed a couple of people staring at me and, after a minute, I glanced at my coat and thought "concealed means concealed." At the risk of having them called back out again, I went ahead and put my coat back on, where it stayed the rest of the time I was there.

For the first time since I got my permit when I was 21 in 2004; the first time I open-carry, the Cops get called. I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. I'm glad they didn't write me a citation or arrest me for "Unlawful Display". Now that would have been, not only embarrassing, but damaging to our cause to promote our 2A Freedom.

Sounds like a good ending to me ! Thanks for sharing !

moneymaker

Being called upon when you OC and having to deal with a Officer as not all of them are on the same page,Well to me its not enjoying and not a good ending as if it is LEGAL then why are you being Harassed?What about the rookie officer or the officer who just had a very bad day or faught with his wife before his shift?I really dont want to be on the recieving end of haveing a man with gun call and getting a pissed off cop or one who has no clue of the law showing up?This is why i am not in agreement with photo ops,youtube postings,gatherings,I really think it should be spent efining the CCW and OC Law you are wanting to Have as a Missourian and then Implament a Law that requires all LE to recieve the Training to understand the Laws for CCW/OC for Citizens.

Oramac

Thanks again to all who came out! It was a good turn-out in OFallon. We had about 7 people or so come out that I know of. It was good to finally put faces with names. For any who didn't know, this was also my first time OCing. It went quite well, I'm happy to say.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MoneyMaker said:
I ordered my Fappachino

I laughed.

MoneyMaker said:
a member of Vancouver's Finest

This clearly shows the post as a troll. MoneyMaker claims to be from Missouri. Unfortunately, there is no Vancouver in Missouri. Busted.

Superlite27

He ain't talking about himself, he is propagandizing and copy/paste from another forum.

I was wondering where Vancouver Missouri was. He said he went to the Vancouver Starbucks. (Where else would one encounter "Vancouver's finest"?) I Googled it, but couldn't find any results.

Maybe someone could remind me: What do you call someone who relates some information, but that information turns out to be untrue?

I think the word starts with an "L".

Li...?

Lia...?

Something like that.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

I call ******** on that story.

"A hush came over the shop"

Right.. Like everyone in the place was looking at you the moment you took your jacket off and decided to stop talking, etc.

I used to think as well, that everyone takes notice of someone carrying. Until I started OC'ing and realize hardly anyone ever notices at all, let alone says anything.

Whoever wrote that story is a self important jackwagon that simply assumes himself/herself important enough to bring hush over a coffee shop full of people merely by taking their coat off.

Boba Fett

Exactly. Even a drop leg holster is rarely noticed, especially by employees at counters. And a dropleg is basically the second most prominent (after shoulder rigs). IMO this story is kuso.

moneymaker

Well it may or may not be true,but what i find here with you guys are you are full of yourselves and i am writing up a suggestion that in order for Mo to have a OC law passed that each individual be certified in Weapon Retention and only Holsters approved for LE,FBI ect can be used by the masses.I already contacted Jay Nixon and Brian Neives about this

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

I call ******** on that story.

"A hush came over the shop"

Right.. Like everyone in the place was looking at you the moment you took your jacket off and decided to stop talking, etc.

I used to think as well, that everyone takes notice of someone carrying. Until I started OC'ing and realize hardly anyone ever notices at all, let alone says anything.

Whoever wrote that story is a self important jackwagon that simply assumes himself/herself important enough to bring hush over a coffee shop full of people merely by taking their coat off.
Of course this is true. Haven't you ever walked into a bar full of different races than yourself? The record player ALWAYS scratches and the place becomes silent. They probably became quiet when they noticed a man drinking a Frappachino. :lol: Black coffee all the way!

I agree, this person is a major troll. Never has a true OCer had a perfectly pleasant LEO encounter and is completely turned off from OC. Hell, even an unpleasant encounter wouldn't deter me. Quite contrary, in fact.

moneymaker

From what i have witnessed on this site,You damn right i would not want 99 percent of you to be able to OC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!