• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wearing holsters in schools

JesterP99

So, obviously I can't open carry into the community college here, but my question is whether or not I can get into trouble having my holster on my waist.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I participated in numerous empty holster protests while at GMU. I wore it to class and all over campus and didn't have any problems. I don't think you could get in trouble per se, but you might open yourself up to additional scrutiny. What community college do you go to specifically?

JesterP99

Piedmont community college, and I'm not technically a student, I am just here to get books.

It just looks funny,even wearing jeans and a polo tucked in, the gun ties the whole outfit together, lol.

Still, I as long as I can't get in trouble I don't care what people say. That being said, my gun is in the car, I hope the won't get me in trouble.

JesterP99

Yeah, okay, I didn't have any problem, even spent time in an administrator's office.

Thanks for the quick reply TheBigsd, I just wanted to make sure nobody had anything horrible to say about doing it.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Wearing an empty holster is protected "speech" under the 1A, and there are already court cases that support this right that were ruled against Universities that tried to prohibit it.

Unless the school you are visiting is LOOKING to start handing out stacks of money in the form of Federal Civil Rights lawsuit settlements, they probably won't say anything to you, whether you are a student or just a visitor...

Polynikes

My only concern is that less-than-law abiding individuals may put your car and the empty holster together and realize there's likely an unattended handgun up for grabs. That may just be my personal paranoia, but other than that, you shouldn't have any issues.

ncwabbit

unfortunately, polyikes that was also the first thought i came up with...
bad guy thought...
gee, lets see if their holsler is empty cuz he is tromping about campus, there must be a firearm somewhere and perhaps his vehicle is the logical place to check first...locked box or not!!

then it falls under the 'ah crap' situation if your vehicle is broken into and the firearm is stolen and the polizei need to be notified...sigh...

wabbit

Last edited:

Firedawg314

Good post.... for the most part... anyone, anywhere can ware a holster. Not to be funny... My Springfield holster works perfect to hold my mulitpurpose ulitity knife. THe people at my job laughed, but liked it.

It goes back to what people are "afraid" of. That, "I don't want to see it, it bothers me...". I have seen a line of "holster wallets" on ebay. Yeah, it looks like you have a shoulder holster on... but its really a wallet. I think its stupid, but funny.

Other people will see your holster and maybe laugh. The thugs will think... oh.. where's the gun? And put 2 and 6 together and try to break in your car. My advise on any weapon in the car... invest in a safe, they range from $30 and up and it can be tied to your seat breaket.

But if you are there that much, hopefully the law enforcement and others know that you are a "good" person and probably never say anything to you.

Jay

So PVCC has a policy against firearms, and according to the attorney general policy's do not mean anything to concealed permit holders. That does not mean that the school can not sanction you they could, but what I would do if you have your CHP shut your mouth don't brag about it and conceal carry. ;)

Daylen

The smart thing to do is simply conceal carry. If you wear a holster, it is obvious that you are trying to draw attention to yourself about weapons. This can backfire in a number of ways on a campus. Colleges are not safe places to use your first amendment rights, unless you are agreeing with the professor. Its a simple question: would you rather be armed for your security, or draw attention to yourself?

JesterP99

The smart thing to do is simply conceal carry. If you wear a holster, it is obvious that you are trying to draw attention to yourself about weapons. This can backfire in a number of ways on a campus. Colleges are not safe places to use your first amendment rights, unless you are agreeing with the professor. Its a simple question: would you rather be armed for your security, or draw attention to yourself?

Yeah, I think this was more of a one time thing. I just didn't really want to remove my holster from my belt. I wouldn't have any problems concealing at school, and I would if I had my CHP.