• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NM OCers: Enjoy Starbucks while "Open-Carry & Coffee" is still legal...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
From FOX News:

"Starbucks is realizing that coffee and wine do mix, it hopes.
The world's biggest coffee chain introduced beer and wine to a Seattle café in October 2010. Buoyed by that success, it announced plans Monday to sell booze in as many as 25 locations by the end of the year. It says it will focus on new or remodeled stores in California, Atlanta and Chicago." -- Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012...and-wine-sales/?intcmp=features#ixzz1kOml5T1E

...so I wonder how long it'll be until they get to NM? A while I'd say -- while they look at sales numbers and customer comments/feedback -- but still, it looks like at SOME point in the future (if alcohol sales DO work for Starbucks) it's only a matter of time before our OC days there are history.

I mentioned this issue to some of the OCers at our recent 2nd Annual ABQ/RR OC Get-Together (Village Inn, Rio Rancho) that some years ago, I HAD bought alcohol at an ABQ Starbucks (see attached pic of my "Starbucks collector items" below -- one on left is unopened, the other opened but almost full) but apparently it was for off-site consumption -- I don't think it'd have been legal to pop one open and pour drinks at your table! But I guess that was either an experiment or, it didn't sell well. Who knows.

So they're looking NOW (again?) to sell alcohol but this time for on-site consumption...which means we can neither OC nor CC, so besides not being able to accomplish some of the goals for OCing (educating/desensitizing the general public re: citizens with guns), we also will be sitting ducks for any psycho/criminal(s) who decide to shoot up the place. If they only sold it for off-site consumption, we could still CC (at least not be UNarmed) but if they allow on-site consumption, it's over.

The only way around that comes to mind would be for NM LAW to change, but I don't see NM being that "progressive" like some other states which DO allow OC in a bar. Here in TX, we have that "51% rule," loosely meaning even if a place does sell alcohol, if they don't get more than 51% of their income from it (some states have a higher %), you're okay to CC there (TX does not have OC). I don't know if similar law would help "fix" this in NM, meaning you COULD CC/OC there IF it wasn't actually a bar, but simply a restuarant with alcohol "on the side" if you will, not their main sales generator.

I enjoyed going to several ABQ Starbucks this past December while there on my annual Christmas Trip, so visiting Starbucks is one of the things I do. It wil be sad when/if it comes to an end.

Whatever, if any of you also like to OC while at Starbucks, you might want to keep up on this story also. For now, enjoy it while you can!

I know I will if *I* can, come the next time I'm up there: For our 3rd Annual 2012 ABQ/RR Get-Together! That should be enough time to see where this is going...and whether it's coming to NM -- or not.

Last edited:

awnuts

From FOX News:

"Starbucks is realizing that coffee and wine do mix, it hopes.
The world's biggest coffee chain introduced beer and wine to a Seattle café in October 2010. Buoyed by that success, it announced plans Monday to sell booze in as many as 25 locations by the end of the year. It says it will focus on new or remodeled stores in California, Atlanta and Chicago." -- Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012...and-wine-sales/?intcmp=features#ixzz1kOml5T1E

...so I wonder how long it'll be until they get to NM? A while I'd say -- while they look at sales numbers and customer comments/feedback -- but still, it looks like at SOME point in the future (if alcohol sales DO work for Starbucks) it's only a matter of time before our OC days there are history.

I mentioned this issue to some of the OCers at our recent 2nd Annual ABQ/RR OC Get-Together (Village Inn, Rio Rancho) that some years ago, I HAD bought alcohol at an ABQ Starbucks (see attached pic of my "Starbucks collector items" below -- one on left is unopened, the other opened but almost full) but apparently it was for off-site consumption -- I don't think it'd have been legal to pop one open and pour drinks at your table! But I guess that was either an experiment or, it didn't sell well. Who knows.

So they're looking NOW (again?) to sell alcohol but this time for on-site consumption...which means we can neither OC nor CC, so besides not being able to accomplish some of the goals for OCing (educating/desensitizing the general public re: citizens with guns), we also will be sitting ducks for any psycho/criminal(s) who decide to shoot up the place. If they only sold it for off-site consumption, we could still CC (at least not be UNarmed) but if they allow on-site consumption, it's over.

The only way around that comes to mind would be for NM LAW to change, but I don't see NM being that "progressive" like some other states which DO allow OC in a bar. Here in TX, we have that "51% rule," loosely meaning even if a place does sell alcohol, if they don't get more than 51% of their income from it (some states have a higher %), you're okay to CC there (TX does not have OC). I don't know if similar law would help "fix" this in NM, meaning you COULD CC/OC there IF it wasn't actually a bar, but simply a restuarant with alcohol "on the side" if you will, not their main sales generator.

I enjoyed going to several ABQ Starbucks this past December while there on my annual Christmas Trip, so visiting Starbucks is one of the things I do. It wil be sad when/if it comes to an end.

Whatever, if any of you also like to OC while at Starbucks, you might want to keep up on this story also. For now, enjoy it while you can!

I know I will if *I* can, come the next time I'm up there: For our 3rd Annual 2012 ABQ/RR Get-Together! That should be enough time to see where this is going...and whether it's coming to NM -- or not.

I think the 51% thing we got here applys to restaurants that serve alcohol.Starbucks doesnt offer a full meal menu. Unless you think a dozen rolls are a meal lol. Now when they ban guns at Dunkin Donuts I'll scream.

castiel

You can conceal carry in places that sell beer and wine right now. The only thing that will change is you won't be able to open carry if they sell beer and wine. Also if you were open carrying when you bought those bottles years ago you broke the law. You can't open carry anywhere that sells any kind of alcohol regardless of where it's meant to be consumed.

I don't really understand the point of beer and wine at Starbucks and hope it doesn't become popular. I try to get my coffee and get out as quick as I can and I thought most people did that too. There is hardly any seating and it's always taken by hippies using their macbooks. I guess they might like the wine though ...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
1. I was mainly concerned about not being able to OC there anymore. As mentioned, educating/desensitizing the public is an important task -- can't do that CCing (not to mention I can't CC a big gun).

2. No, years ago I wasn't OCing.

3. I'm at Starbucks mainly for their WiFi but I'm certainly no "hippie" -- you know any hippies that carry (if they CC, do they OC)? Besides, I don't even own an Apple product, never have (just a cheap Acer netbook works for me). But I do agree that the usual Starbucks customers are probably "hippie" liberals -- or yuppie liberals more likely -- and Apple owners (iPads nowadays)! But maybe neutral (at best) re: guns if not outright anti (not sure where ABQ/Rio Rancho Starbucks customers stand on the issue).

I wonder, however, what all those other people in those ABQ Starbucks I was in -- all those "hippies" you speak of -- thought about me OCing. That huge stainless-steel Colt 1911 (crossdraw, out in front next to my belt-buckle) was kind of hard to miss but no one said a thing. Not even any harsh/disapproving looks. Maybe I looked like Homeland Security...

;-)

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

I think the 51% thing we got here applys to restaurants that serve alcohol.Starbucks doesnt offer a full meal menu. Unless you think a dozen rolls are a meal lol. Now when they ban guns at Dunkin Donuts I'll scream.

Agreed! As I will soon be a Semi-Perm resident that would be annoying! I would like to meet up with some New Mexico OC'ers when I get there as well, no better way to learn than from the troops on the ground!