• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Treveling to Shreveport next Month.

bcannon87

Hi i am new to OCDO and just want to say howdy from East Texas!

I am posting this here because I have a few questions. I have read where the carry of a firearm is prohibited. I do have a Texas CHL and I understand that I must abide by LA laws while I am There.

Ok so now to my questions as I would like to OC while I am in LA.

1) What are some situations/places (for lack of a better term) that I need to look out for while open carrying?

2) As an Out of Towner what am i required to do if detained/questioned by a LEO?

3) What are your tips/pointers for an out of towner wishing to OC in LA?

Also any more information regarding OC in LA that might be helpful to me will be helpful and requested.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

HeroHog

This is the meat of what you asked from the LOCAL (Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League) web site:

What is Open Carry?
Open carry is shorthand terminology for "openly carrying a firearm in public", as distinguished from concealed carry, where firearms cannot be seen by the casual observer. The act of publicly carrying a firearm in plain sight. Plain sight is broadly defined as not being hidden from common observation; varies somewhat from state to state.

Is it legal to openly carry weapons in Louisiana?
Yes, as a general rule- however, certain places and people are restricted by law.

Can I open carry anywhere?

No! Some places are restricted by law. For example, school zones (if you are not in your vehicle, or on private property), government (state and local) buildings, any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises and any private property that posts signs expressly forbidding the carrying of firearms.

Who is prohibited from openly carrying weapons?
Anyone who is prohibited from owning weapons. In general, this means drug addicts, felons, those convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, and those under eighteen years of age. Louisiana does have some laws prohibiting possession of firearms, but Federal laws are more strict, so if you are OK by Federal law, you are likely OK by LA law.

How old do you have to be to open carry?

In Louisiana 17, but federal law restricts the age to 18. The federal law 'trumps' the state law, so 18.

Do I have to be a Louisiana resident to open carry in Louisiana?
No. Visitors to our State may carry just like residents.

Do I need a permit to Open Carry like I do to Conceal Carry?
No. There is no permit required to Open Carry in Louisiana.

Do I give up my right to open carry if I get a concealed handgun permit?
NO! This is misinformation that has spread around the State for some time now. Supposedly, certain individuals working for the State Police at one time were informing concealed handgun instructors to inform those who applied for a permit that, if approved, they would no longer be allowed to open carry. There is no basis for this in law.

Can I switch between open carry and concealed carry?
As long as you have your concealed carry permit, you can chose to do either one, as long as all laws/restrictions are followed. Having a concealed carry license does NOT take away your right to openly carry.

Can businesses prohibit me from open carrying?
Yes. A private property owner has the right to prohibit weapons on their property.

Can I open carry in my vehicle?
Yes.

Can my handgun be loaded?
Yes. You can carry your gun loaded and ready to use.

Can I open carry on private property?
Yes, provided you are not on someone else's property who does not want you to.

Do local law enforcement officers know that open carry is legal?
Some do, some don't- just like non-Law Enforcement Officers. Do not assume that someone who has been trained to enforce the law somehow knows everything there is to know about the law.

Can I be charged with disturbing the peace for open carry?
Not legally. RS 14:103 is the LA statute regarding disturbing of the peace. OC does not meet the standards for Disturbing the Peace.

Can I be charged with brandishing for open carry?
Again, not legally. Brandishing, by definition, requires more than an item to simply be visible. Refer to RS 40:1382 for more information about this subject.

Has anyone been arrested for open carry?
Yes. Carrying weapons always carries with it an increased risk of potential legal complications. However, open carry, in and of itself, is not illegal. Be aware that you could be at a significantly increased risk for being falsely arrested for openly carrying a weapon in some areas.

What holster method should I use for open carry?
That is a personal preference. However be advised that if you do not have a concealed carry permit you are at an increased risk of a criminal charge if your carry method can be construed as having been intended to conceal or obscure your weapon. It is often suggested that a quality retention style holster be used whenever possible when Open Carrying.

Can I open carry in other States?
Yes, open carry is allowed by law in many States. Louisiana is one of more than 40 States where citizens may Open Carry handguns. Laws vary so research each area carefully.

What can I do to help further the cause of Open Carry?

Simple, just carry openly! Be a good representative for everyone exercising their open carry rights. Follow all local laws, including non-firearms related laws. Become a LOCAL member by clicking the JOIN LOCAL button on this webpage.

Louisiana Open Carry Statutes

The LA State Constitution - Article 1, Section 11

"The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person."

State v. Fluker 311 So. 2d 863

A 1975 State Supreme Court case regarding the determination of concealment of a firearm in LA.

State v Ferrand 664 So.2d 396

"As the officer acknowledged, the public possession of an openly displayed handgun is not a crime in Louisiana and does not alone provide probable cause for an arrest."

State v Snoddy 389 So.2d 377

"The acts of defendant patrolling his property at night with a shotgun in a secluded area certainly did not constitute criminal activity." Cited in State v Ferrand.

Attorney General Opinion No. 97-485 - The AG says, "There is no Louisiana law which in general prohibits carrying a handgun if that handgun is not concealed."

Attorney General Opinion No. 79-1212 - The AG replies to a Ms. Irene W. Pressley of the Westlake, LA Police Department, answering her question of "1. Are there any laws prescribing when it is legal to carry a gun?" The AG answers, "It is the conclusion of this office that it is legal to carry a gun when it is exposed on one's person. The LOUISIANA Supreme Court has affirmed this conclusion. State v. Fluker, 311 So.2d 863 (1975). However, the legality of carrying even an exposed gun is subject to certain limitations of law." and "Therefore, it is the opinion of this office that a gun may be carried legally if it is in open view;..."

Attorney General Opinion No. 78-795 - The AG replies to two questions: "1. Is it legal to carry an exposed handgun?" and "2. Do Parishes and/or Municipalities have the power to regulate the carrying of exposed handguns?" The AG responds, "the carrying of an exposed handgun is not illegal, except as provided in LSA R.S. 14:95.1." And citing City of Shreveport V. Curry and City of Shreveport V. Bukhett, 357 S.2d 1078, (LA. 1978) the AG answers " It is the opinion of this office that the state statutes aforementioned have the purpose of establishing a general scheme to control weapons (handguns) and that a fair reading of those statutes show this would constitute an area in which the state has preempted the legislative control and has implicitly authorized the carrying of unconcealed weapons. Therefore, an ordinance enacted by a Parish and/or Municipality regulating the carrying of exposed handguns would be without effect as being in conflict with State Law.

Attorney General Opinion No. 78-1288 - The AG states," it is pertinent to observe that any citizen may bear arms that are not concealed." and, citing State vs. Fluker, says "that a weapon is not concealed, even if not in full, open view, if it is sufficiently exposed to reveal its identity."

Gun related statutes you should be familiar with...

Look up Revised Statutes and other laws at the Louisiana Legislature webpage: http://www.legis.state.la.us/

RS 14:95 - Illegal carrying of weapons

RS 14:18 - Justification; general provisions

RS 14:19 - Use of force or violence in defense

RS 14:21 - Aggressor cannot claim self defense

RS 14:95.8 - Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

RS 14:95.1.1 - Illegally supplying a felon with a firearm

RS 14:95.1 - Possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of certain felonies

RS 14:95.2 - Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or non-student on school property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone

RS 14:95.5 - Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

RS 14:95.6 - Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties

RS 14:22 - Defense of others

RS 14:17 - Mistake of law

RS 14:16 - Mistake of fact

RS 14:91 - Unlawful sales of weapons to minors

RS 40:1796 - Preemption of state law

RS 14:20 - Justifiable Homicide

DISCLAIMER: RESEARCH EVERYTHING FOR YOURSELF OR CONSULT AN ATTORNEY

Nothing posted here should be considered, nor is it intended to be considered as legal advice.

HeroHog

Now for specific responses...
Q1) What are some situations/places (for lack of a better term) that I need to look out for while open carrying?

A: If they serve alcohol there, or it is a Federal Building/property, don't carry there period. Not 100% right but 100% safe OK nit pickers?

Q2) As an Out of Towner what am i required to do if detained/questioned by a LEO?

A: Nothing extra ordinary. Use your head! Don't touch the gun unless asked to. No sudden movements (simply for your safety). Be nice, honest and know the law as best you can for your own protection.

Q3) What are your tips/pointers for an out of towner wishing to OC in LA?

A: Go for it. I OC in Shreveport daily without issues. Yes, I HAVE been asked to leave a local hospital and walked out by a bevy of cops BUT, they were polite, apologetic and never demanded my gun and didn't try to "trip me up" or any such nonsense. I carried into an unmarked hospital and they called the cops to hunt me down and flush me out even though their policy is not made public as was acknowledged by the police. If I were carrying concealed (with proper permit) it wouldn't have been an issue as they would not have known it was there in the 1st place. Had they noticed it or had I been ratted out, then the scenario would have been the same I am sure.

Q4) Also any more information regarding OC in LA that might be helpful to me will be helpful and requested.

A: As long as you dress and act normal and don't handle the gun, in MOST places you will be fine. ALL Circle-K gas stations are posted and I believe all the local hospitals are either posted or have hidden policies against carrying. The VA grounds are 100% gun free! Don't even have it in your car! You have been warned! TECHNICALLY, no guns on post office property. Put your gun in the glove box BEFORE you roll in and don't remove it until you are off the property and you will be OK more than likely though you are running a slight risk as the unforseen CAN happen and you possibly could be busted for it.

Last edited:

bcannon87

I don't think I could ask for a better response! Thank you! I will definitely take it all and with my continued research I think I will feel pretty confident in carrying.

Couple more questions:
Have you OC'd in the supermarkets ie. Walmart/ brookshires?

And did you have any problems while carrying there?

And where is a good shooting range in the Shreveport/ bossier city area?

Last edited:

HeroHog

I don't think I could ask for a better response! Thank you! I will definitely take it all and with my continued research I think I will feel pretty confident in carrying.

Couple more questions:
Have you OC'd in the supermarkets ie. Walmart/ brookshires?

And did you have any problems while carrying there?

And where is a good shooting range in the Shreveport/ bossier city area?

I carry EVERYWHERE it is legal to do so: Regions Bank, Michaels Jewelers, Super-1, Wal-Mart, CVS Pharmacy, Hobby Lobby, Brookshires, Lowe's, EVERYWHERE it is legal and haven't had ANY issues with one exception at a local un-posted hospital who sent a bevy of apologetic officers to ask me to please leave and I did.

There is an indoor range in Bossier that charges (I believe) $15/hr and $1/store target (large torso range type)
Shooters USA
(318) 747-5811
357 Magnum St, Bossier City
Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Magnum St and Macks Dr Neighborhood: Eastwood Bossier City, LA
Get Directions

Last edited:

bcannon87

Again thank you so much for the information!! I am looking forward to open carrying while I am there! You were a great help!

stunter2b

There is an indoor range in Bossier that charges (I believe) $15/hr and $1/store target (large torso range type)
Shooters USA
(318) 747-5811
357 Magnum St, Bossier City
Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Magnum St and Macks Dr Neighborhood: Eastwood Bossier City, LA
Get Directions

Just a heads up that 15$ isn't per hour its for the whole day you can stay as long as you want, or leave and come back.

I actually can't wait to go back with the wifey and shot some more.. Sure wish bullets weren't so expensive.

PS. Enjoy your trip..

HeroHog

You are right, it is 15/DAY, my bad. We finally discovered the Bodcau WMA range the other day and HIGHLY reccommend it! 100% FREE, nicely maintained and managed too!