Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't realize how awesome Bullet proof vests really are (specifically IIIA)

Didn't realize how awesome Bullet proof vests really are (specifically IIIA)

I got a weekend job at Brinks, we had to watch bullet proof vest demo videos today... the tester fired 6 rounds (.45 colt) at point blank range (one after another in the same spot).... and not only did none of the bullets penetrate... there was only 6 mm of depression on the opposite side... 44mm of depression or less is considered survivable. A .357 magnum round only made 11 mm of depression at point blank range... it was amazing

I feel much better about wearing a vest now... looking forward to getting mine

Anybody own kevlar? wear it?

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    It'll still break ribs and you can still die from internal bleeding or trama.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    I wore one for years. Make sure you buy the best trauma plate that you can afford. Also once summer arrives be aware that you will be very uncomfortable, but it's worth the peace of mind. I am sure you know this but just in case kevlar or other vests are vulnerable to high vilocity rounds (rifle) pointed weapons (knives).
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Still better than the alternative.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

6 mm of displacement will not cause internal bleeding.... according to the specification set forth by the governing body... it will hurt but your will be fine.... the only round in the video that came close to internal bleeding/ broking ribs was a .357 on class II body armor...;

I will be getting (already ordered) IIIA .... with a hard plate (incase someone stabs me in the front)

I've got a friend who was shot with one on, he said it was equivalent to being hit with a baseball bat. Be careful.

As far as kevlar goes, I don't know if all kevlar is made equal, but during a motocross race, I had some top of the line Fox motocross pants tear during an accident when I broke my femur and had a good sized chunk of it rip through my skin and my pants. Triple reinforced kevlar knees, still ripped through the kevlar like it wasn't even there. As far as I know, it was triple layered/stitched.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

When would you wear these vests?
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    anytime you don't want to die?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    Whenever you are cheating on your LEO wife.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    that too
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post

Some people would wear them more frequently... or even daily.... others would only keep them around for a SHTF scenerio or if there was an active intruder/shooter situation... sort of like a bedside shottie... throw it on in emergencies.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo

no vests at this time, but ive got a Kevlar helmet floatin around somewhere in my room, also have a military ballistic groin protector, i think its IIA for both of them.

i collect cheap milsurp stuff...
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 01-25-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Banned
    Doug is right, you can get seriously hurt or die from the trauma while wearing a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    but ive got a Kevlar helmet floatin around somewhere in my room
    With a hole in it.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I had to wear those dam vests for years when I worked LE, dam things are very uncomfortable. Make sure you get measured and fitted for your vest as it will make a big difference. Also some vests are not as good, I had one that basicly said it would stop a 9mm round but anything more was not guarrented. It also said a knife would go through it like butter....funny. That was the vest they issued me, most of they people I worked with went out and got their own vest.

Does this vest make me look fat....no it is all the big mac's...lol

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    LOL! You got a cite for that one?LOL!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    LOL! You got a cite for that one?LOL!
    No, just personal knowledge.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    ]Also some vests are not as good, I had one that basicly said it would stop a 9mm round but anything more was not guarrented. It also said a knife would go through it like butter....funny.
    The vest I will have is rated to stop (with the person surviving the force) 9mm, .45 colt, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, and , .38 special +p.... I saw the training video with demo

Kevlar will not stop sharp trauma... that's why I have a hard plate in the front of the vest... adds weight but will stop a frontal knife attack

"Type IIIA
    (.357 SIG; .44 Magnum) New armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 448 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1470 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). Conditioned armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 430 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1410 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 408 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1340 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, and II]."

I wonder how it'd do vs one if these in my 7.5" Ruger.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html
    Last edited by DrTodd; 01-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Activist Member
    I like the idea of some of the jackets with a bulletproof vest built into them, that you can throw on really quick, and could imagine wearing one when it would be comfortable, as well as things like backpacks with a bulletproof back, but I don't think I could stand wearing a typical vest that was on all the time under the clothes. Sounds too hot and uncomfortable.

Now, if they can release some bulletproof clothing that is like a regular T-shirt in thickness and comfort, then I definitely want one! Otherwise, I'll take the risk of being hit in the torso with a bullet some day over the guarantee of sweating bullets every day due to the heat!

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I wonder how it'd do vs one if these in my 7.5" Ruger.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html
    I wonder how IIIA holds up to .454 Casull, .50 AE, .500 magnum, and .460 XVR too.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 01-25-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    I wonder how IIIA holds up to .454 Casull, .50 AE, .500 magnum, and .460 XVR too.
    EDITED*** I found an answer.... This grade IIIA vest stops a .500 bullet... No penetration - No extreme blunt trauma

http://blutube.policeone.com/police-...by-us-cavalry/
    Last edited by NMadole; 01-25-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    With a hole in it.

NO holes in it, only a few depressions from when you shot it with me, but NO penetration even from multiple 9mm and .22LR hits to the same spot!
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    With a hole in it.
    well ya need some way to get your head in it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast