• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Didn't realize how awesome Bullet proof vests really are (specifically IIIA)

NMadole

I got a weekend job at Brinks, we had to watch bullet proof vest demo videos today... the tester fired 6 rounds (.45 colt) at point blank range (one after another in the same spot).... and not only did none of the bullets penetrate... there was only 6 mm of depression on the opposite side... 44mm of depression or less is considered survivable. A .357 magnum round only made 11 mm of depression at point blank range... it was amazing

I feel much better about wearing a vest now... looking forward to getting mine

Anybody own kevlar? wear it?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
It'll still break ribs and you can still die from internal bleeding or trama.

I wore one for years. Make sure you buy the best trauma plate that you can afford. Also once summer arrives be aware that you will be very uncomfortable, but it's worth the peace of mind. I am sure you know this but just in case kevlar or other vests are vulnerable to high vilocity rounds (rifle) pointed weapons (knives).

NMadole

6 mm of displacement will not cause internal bleeding.... according to the specification set forth by the governing body... it will hurt but your will be fine.... the only round in the video that came close to internal bleeding/ broking ribs was a .357 on class II body armor...;

I will be getting (already ordered) IIIA .... with a hard plate (incase someone stabs me in the front)

malignity

I've got a friend who was shot with one on, he said it was equivalent to being hit with a baseball bat. Be careful.

As far as kevlar goes, I don't know if all kevlar is made equal, but during a motocross race, I had some top of the line Fox motocross pants tear during an accident when I broke my femur and had a good sized chunk of it rip through my skin and my pants. Triple reinforced kevlar knees, still ripped through the kevlar like it wasn't even there. As far as I know, it was triple layered/stitched.

HKcarrier

When would you wear these vests?

Some people would wear them more frequently... or even daily.... others would only keep them around for a SHTF scenerio or if there was an active intruder/shooter situation... sort of like a bedside shottie... throw it on in emergencies.

lil_freak_66

no vests at this time, but ive got a Kevlar helmet floatin around somewhere in my room, also have a military ballistic groin protector, i think its IIA for both of them. ;)

i collect cheap milsurp stuff...

Last edited:

DocWalker

I had to wear those dam vests for years when I worked LE, dam things are very uncomfortable. Make sure you get measured and fitted for your vest as it will make a big difference. Also some vests are not as good, I had one that basicly said it would stop a 9mm round but anything more was not guarrented. It also said a knife would go through it like butter....funny. That was the vest they issued me, most of they people I worked with went out and got their own vest.

Does this vest make me look fat....no it is all the big mac's...lol

NMadole

]Also some vests are not as good, I had one that basicly said it would stop a 9mm round but anything more was not guarrented. It also said a knife would go through it like butter....funny.

The vest I will have is rated to stop (with the person surviving the force) 9mm, .45 colt, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, and , .38 special +p.... I saw the training video with demo

Kevlar will not stop sharp trauma... that's why I have a hard plate in the front of the vest... adds weight but will stop a frontal knife attack

"Type IIIA
(.357 SIG; .44 Magnum) New armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 448 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1470 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). Conditioned armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 430 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1410 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 408 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1340 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, and II]."