Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the fourm Conisdering moving to CO

New to the fourm Conisdering moving to CO

Hi, i am new to the forum and was considering relocating to CO this year if i can sell my house. I was wondering if any one has input about Aurora and any parts i should avoid looking in. It seems to be a place i'd like to live and wondering if any one has any input into this and if the area is pro-gun.

thanks.

Needles86

Quote Originally Posted by Needles86 View Post
    Hi, i am new to the forum and was considering relocating to CO this year if i can sell my house. I was wondering if any one has input about Aurora and any parts i should avoid looking in. It seems to be a place i'd like to live and wondering if any one has any input into this and if the area is pro-gun.

thanks.

Needles86
    Compared to Illinois... Welcome to GunGuy Paradise.

I was wondering if any one has input about Aurora and any parts i should avoid looking in. It seems to be a place i'd like to live and wondering if any one has any input into this and if the area is pro-gun.
    Avoid Denver. >20 round magazine ban and no open carry. Depending on what kind of work you do, you should also look at Colorado Springs. Much smaller city.

O2

Colorado Springs is the best place I've ever lived. Conservative, pro-military, absolutely 2nd Amendment friendly, city and County (El Paso), and reasonable cost of living. Great climate and nice people. And the views of the mountains are incredible. Hopefully, a sinkhole will swallow the PDR of Denver sometime soon...
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Colorado Springs is the best place I've ever lived. Conservative, pro-military, absolutely 2nd Amendment friendly, city and County (El Paso)...
    Except that they are not....With the banning of OC in public buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Compared to Illinois... Welcome to GunGuy Paradise.
    ya pretty much no ccw or oc. i live in lake county out of the city you can own w.e you want have high cap mags Ar's ak's. no class 3 things though. No open land or outdoor shooting unless you go way south or north into Wis. which is a 2 hour drive with out traffic.

Aurora is like most cities, there are areas to avoid, areas that are usually OK, and areas that seem pretty good. I spent most of my youth in Aurora, and I think I turned out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by alang View Post
    Aurora is like most cities, there are areas to avoid, areas that are usually OK, and areas that seem pretty good. I spent most of my youth in Aurora, and I think I turned out OK.
    im pretty sure ill be out to look in the next few weeks i've been finding a lot of places around the city center and around the community college that look fairly nice. I've been told to look mainly south of Colfax.

im pretty sure ill be out to look in the next few weeks i've been finding a lot of places around the city center and around the community college that look fairly nice. I've been told to look mainly south of Colfax.
    mmm, that's not nesecariliy true. My uncle has a nice place in a nice neighborhood about a mile norrth of Colfax. There are good thisgs about north, and about south. If you'd like someone to play tourguide for a while I'd be up for it.

Pardon my lurking the Colorado section, I grew up in the Denver area (Lakewood/Golden) and spent a good deal of time further west in Glenwood Springs. I still visit Colorado on a regular basis, and, if my Florida counterparts will forgive me, IMHO, I'd take CO over FL any day. If opportunity and fate dropped an option to move back today, Florida would be in my rear view mirrors by nightfall tonight. And, I'm probably not exaggerating too much there to be candid. Life is keeping me here for the moment, but, Colorado calls me back constantly. It's just a matter of time and timing.

If you're set on the Denver area, I highly suggest finding someone who has current familiarity with the area. Like most major cities of Denver's size, there are areas you want, and those you don't. It's an incredible city and area, night and day when compared to anything out this side of the country IMHO. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Except that they are not....With the banning of OC in public buildings.
    Elaborate. If you mean with metal detectors, that's statewide for OC or CC. Sorry, see you mentioned OC only. With a CCW, it doesn't matter to me.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Elaborate. If you mean with metal detectors, that's statewide for OC or CC. Sorry, see you mentioned OC only. With a CCW, it doesn't matter to me.
    Yes and the 2A does not mention licenses or permits. If they were "absolutely" 2a friendly, they would not require a government permission slip to enter the place you get your marriage license (my only personal experience as I had to leave my firearm in the car.)

Yes and the 2A does not mention licenses or permits. If they were "absolutely" 2a friendly, they would not require a government permission slip to enter the place you get your marriage license (my only personal experience as I had to leave my firearm in the car.)
    Not sure where you went for the license. You can OC at the police and sheriff's departments. How many cities can say that?

Not sure where you went for the license. You can OC at the police and sheriff's departments. How many cities can say that?
    Jeffco Sheriff, yes. Lakewood PD, no.

Centennial Hall, El Paso County Clerk and Recorder's office on South Cascade Avenue. Sign said no display of weapons. Colorado has the ordinance in place to allow the posting of building making them off limits to those who do not wish to seek the government's permission to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSeller View Post

If you're set on the Denver area, I highly suggest finding someone who has current familiarity with the area. Like most major cities of Denver's size, there are areas you want, and those you don't.
    yah i agree with you on that i have family who live near 5 points by where Rockies play. and know some people by cherry creek. none of them really know much about aurora or area's around there. But, i ll check it out regardless gotta see for my self. lol

My advice would be to stay the hell out of Denver (city and county) as it's the only NO OC location routinely available to the public here in the otherwise sane state of Colorado.

The many other cities which make up the Denver Metropolitan Area are fine. Just be sure you check the county line on a map...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    My advice would be to stay the hell out of Denver (city and county)
    +1

Centennial Hall, El Paso County Clerk and Recorder's office on South Cascade Avenue. Sign said no display of weapons. Colorado has the ordinance in place to allow the posting of building making them off limits to those who do not wish to seek the government's permission to defend themselves.
    CC is perfectly legal there. Admittedly, OC is more problematic in any free state.

Jeffco Sheriff, yes. Lakewood PD, no.
    Talking about El Paso County only. Is Lakewood posted no open carry or no display of weapons, the more common term?

CC is perfectly legal there. Admittedly, OC is more problematic in any free state.
    What does CC have to do with anything?

Talking about El Paso County only. Is Lakewood posted no open carry or no display of weapons, the more common term?
    Lakewood PD is located in the same building as Lakewood Municipal Court. I don't think you can even take in a bottle of water, let alone a pocket knife.

Specifically it says no weapons, and they do have the metal detectors in place.
    Last edited by JamesB; 01-27-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Howdy!
    Meanwhile.... back at the original thread.....

I live in Aurora. I am just a couple of blocks north of Colfax. We've had miscreancy here in the past, but it has died down considerably since I started OC'ing. Now many of the bangers think I'm a cop. I've never said anything of the sort to any of the young brigands, but so long as they think I am, they tend to behave themselves anywhere near my house. It seems to be serving me well.

Aurora is OC friendly, and I have never been bothered about carrying my sidearm anywhere in Aurora. I've had cops come right up on me, and we've had chats about other matters, but they never seem disturbed by my handgun holstered on my hip. If anything, they'll start up a conversation about what sort of pistol it is, what calibur, how I like it, how it shoots, and all manner of that sort of discussion, but none have been the least bit apprehensive about my carrying the thing.

Aside from the obvious "stay out of the PDR of Denver", I've never had any trouble anywhere I go. My hobby is metal detecting and I often travel in what folks describe as "bad neighborhoods". Nobody has ever bothered me. Considering I often go hunt for gold and silver at all hours of the night (using headlamps), you'd think I'd be easy prey for baddies. Nobody has ever bothered me. Then again, even when I must leave the handgun in the car, I am not unarmed. ASP 26 inch expandable baton, pepper spray, and other items I carry ensure relative safety.

So far as any 'bad neighborhoods' in Aurora, I don't know of any south of Colfax and east of I-225. I'm sure they must exist, but I do not know of them.

It's a pretty darn nice place to live, and I'd be happy to show you around. James already offered, but we can throw in a place to crash in the bargain! My pardner has moved in with a woman he's gotten friendly with, and I'm transforming the front room into an office for my new business now starting up. There is a futon in there, and it can be a decent sleep if you need to scotch your cash. Hotels are expensive and why not enjoy a bit of Coloradoan hospitality and a place to lay your head for free? Just a suggestion, in case you need a place to hole up while in town.

I can already guess you wouldn't be alarmed by the presence of a fair number of firearms in the house! LOL!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

What does CC have to do with anything?
    It has to do with my CCW allows me to carry a handgun virtually anywhere in Colorado and 34 other free states. And getting one is easy for any citizen. OC will never be the best way to carry a PD weapon, despite our wishful thinking. Real world practicality, unless and until Con Carry is the law of the land, will always revolve around having a CCW to fill in the gaps. While I am fully supportive of OC--and especially Con Carry, I am also a realist.

Lakewood PD is located in the same building as Lakewood Municipal Court. I don't think you can even take in a bottle of water, let alone a pocket knife.

Specifically it says no weapons, and they do have the metal detectors in place.
    Yeah, typical of any courthouse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast