• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm only 19, can't get my CCW until I'm 21... so I OC

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Congratulations on making the decision to be responsible for your self.

Unless you are doing something to call attention to the fact that you are OCing you should get little attention, as most folks will either a) not notice or b) prresume you are some sort of cop or otherwise "authorized" to OC.

As for the folks who have questioned you about OCing - I hope you have practiced a few stock answers and memorized a few things about the legality and benefits of OCing. Being an ambassador for "the cause" is always good, and helping other folks realize they can do it too never hurts.

I'm guessing you know to stay out of Denver, Boulder and whatever county they are in as those seem to be the trouble spots with laws against OCing without a permit, or OCing at all (can't remember just how hoplophobic they are).

As for carrying SOB, just remember that you need to keep some good friends who will be willing to push your wheelchair if you ever fall hard on your handgun. But if that's the way you like to carry, I'm not going to say you can't or shouldn't.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Kudos for making a responsible decision - anything else to report over the last few months?

By now you should be much more comfortable OCing.

videokrue

Everyday Life

Over the past months, I've become much more comfortable open carrying.

Something I recently discovered is that El Paso County parks (which includes all of Colorado Springs) have a "no open-carry policy" that isn't posted. So, I've been asked to leave the park by not-so-nice plain clothes officers. Since then, I've looked into the law and wrote a formal letter to the El Paso County Park Director, asking him to make an exception for me specifically. Interestingly enough, there is a clause stating he is allowed to do this at his own discretion. Though, I got a very short reply that, summed up, was a "no". All the same, I plan on continuing to open carry on the occasions I visit any local park; I simply risk being asked to leave. :p

I did have a frightening experience, just last week. I was searching for a hardware store and must have missed my turn, because I ended up on a back road that runs parallel to the interstate. The road was practically empty with the exception of one oncoming pickup truck. Waiting until the truck had passed, I swung a sharp u-turn in my little Toyota Tercel and was on my way again. Within seconds, the pickup truck that was now ahead of me, pulled off to the side of the road, and a male driver exited the vehicle. I pulled to a stop about 25 feet behind him, still in my lane, rolling the passenger window down (probably farther then I should have). The man, who looked to be in his mid 40's, approached my car from the front, waving his arms wildly, mad as a hornet. "What the f*** do you think you're doing pulling a **** ******* back there!!!" Then in a much more serious, yet still furious voice, "Are you looking for ME?"

How does one answer this question?? In that moment, I knew from the look in his eyes alone, if I didn't respond correctly, he was probably going to try and do very unpleasant things to me. :eek: I honestly haven't been that scared in several years; my heart was pounding. The first thought that popped into my head, was to ask myself (without breaking his eye contact) what gear I had left the car in. If he took another step closer and was at the window, could I accelerate before he had reached into the car? By this time, my mind felt like it was wading in mollasses, I had a hard time even thinking through how to use the thumb break on my paddle holster; which was conveniently on my weak side, hidden from his view by the steering wheel and my body. Thankfully, today I wouldn't need to attempt a crossdraw. While my heart was racing and my head was paralyzed form fear, my mouth seemed to have a mind of its own. I calmly, yet quickly apologized, trying to explain that I had simply made a wrong turn and was lost. I even managed to throw in the words "bro" and "dude" as if speaking his languge would help the situation. :D

I'll never know what he thought of my mumbling, because in that moment another truck came rolling up behind us; and would have to stop, seeing as I was parked in the lane. The sketchy, still angry man, seeing the oncoming truck walked back to his vehicle. I took the opportunity to find first gear with my shaky hand, and slowly drive off. Thankfully, this strangers' truck drove the whole way back to the main road in-between my car and the scary man's truck.

Long story short, I didn't have to shoot -or run over- anyone that evening. Talking without thinking actually paid off, considering my mind was useless.

I'm still debating what side to OC my paddle holster, considering I draw with my right hand? :eek:
Thoughts?

JamesB

Over the past months, I've become much more comfortable open carrying.

Something I recently discovered is that El Paso County parks (which includes all of Colorado Springs) have a "no open-carry policy" that isn't posted. So, I've been asked to leave the park by not-so-nice plain clothes officers. Since then, I've looked into the law and wrote a formal letter to the El Paso County Park Director, asking him to make an exception for me specifically. Interestingly enough, there is a clause stating he is allowed to do this at his own discretion. Though, I got a very short reply that, summed up, was a "no". All the same, I plan on continuing to open carry on the occasions I visit any local park; I simply risk being asked to leave. :p

El Paso County parks may have a "policy," but if it's not posted, it's not legal. You can carry there without worry. (make REAL sure that it's not posted)
Officers can ask you to leave...they can't order you to.

XD40coyote

SOB open carry? How about retention? You should use a retentive holster like a thumb break or serpa level 2, and it should be on your hip or more in front. Having it anywhere not on your back allows you much more easily thwart any attempt to grab the gun by someone. Get some retention training too. Keep the situational awareness up as well, it needs to be sharper when OCing.

bwyand92

Can I ask why you OC to begin with?

I am not judging, I am just curious. I just learned I can OC under 21 in AZ, and will be getting a glock 9 tomorrow. I want to carry because I deal cell phones, meet people all over the phoenix area (half the time I have the slightest clue where I am going, I just know how to get there). I have found myself in the straight hood there at some rinky dink gas station at 130am meeting people, and thinking to myself I am f****** insane for not carrying, and was about to consider just doing it anyways regardless of the law. Basically, my life > lawyer fees. First off a cop would never have any reason to search me, so it would never come to that anyways.

But at the same time I feel weird carrying a gun around. Like I live at a frat house, and I could only imagine rolling in on my bike with a bunch of phones, cash, and a strap lol. The president is already upset I hide an ar-15 under my bed haha.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
As a fellow 19 year old, I can not stress to you both how important it is to follow the law, regardless of how stupid it is. All it takes is a few 18-20 year olds to cc illegally and its one more reason to ban our already wish washy rights in most of the states. I carry a p-3at concealed/open at my home and cc at my fixed place of business, while putting it in my center console when I'm driving. This is about all I can do legally to carry without a permit in fl (besides OC fishing trips) but its important to become skilled with your tool of choice so that when you become 21 and have the ability to choose between CC/OC (fl is nearly no-OC) you'll actually be able to use your tool.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

HolyOrangeJuice

I'm 20 and in the same boat. However in Wisconsin there are still issues with OC so it makes it a pain for vehicles. I still do what we call the dance. Unload, encase, put out of reach. Just to stay safe and I work with the police department. I would much rather conceal but for right now its a G17 in serpa lvl 2. People will be people and the police officers know me. So I don't expect any troubles unless i'm forced into a situation to use my weapon...which I'm ready to deal with.

NoTolerance

However in Wisconsin there are still issues with OC so it makes it a pain for vehicles. I still do what we call the dance. Unload, encase, put out of reach.

Completely unnecessary after the passage of Act 35 (so long as you avoid the magical GFSZ, that is). Loading/unloading in the vehicle is okay, driving while loaded and chambered is okay. If the firearm is encased or hidden in any way, it must be out of reach. Otherwise, keep it in plain view.

Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(b):
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless one of the following applies:
1. The firearm is unloaded or is a handgun.

From the DOJ FAQ:

If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle?
A. Handguns
The law now allows a person to do the following without a CCW permit:
• place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(b).
• load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(c).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be hidden or concealed and within reach.

Underlining/Bolding marks are mine.

Last edited: