• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello from the New Kid on the Block

Boba Fett

Hello everyone! I've been stalking the forum for about a year, and have learned a lot! After hearing some rumors that one can possess a handgun at age 18, I decided to join the forum and begin learning more. I am currently 17, and my birthday will be this summer.

I've been heavily involved in airsoft combat simulation, and that's what has drawn me to firearms. I've been around guns for the past 7 years or so, and have a wide array of friends in the self-defense and tactical society. I'd love to answer any questions you have! I live in Fair Grove, and spend most of my away-from-home time in Springfield. I attend OTC twice a week.

I have some questions to shoot off...any advice would be massivly appreciated!

1. Can I own a handgun once I turn 18? if so, are there any further laws regarding possession or carry?

2. Is OC legal in Fair Grove? I live on a street across from a public school-owned football field. Are there any restrictions on carrying on my private property (mainly in my yard)?

3. Is OC legal in Springfield? What buildings are off-limits? Can I carry at my church (in Springfield)? Can I carry in my church on weekdays if I should visit during the Christian school's operating hours?

4. Is OC legal in Republic?

5. Is OC legal on the private property of others with thier express permission?

6. Is it legal to carry handcuffs?

Thank you ladies and gentleman very much for assisting me in my search for self-protection!

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Hello everyone! I've been stalking the forum for about a year, and have learned a lot! After hearing some rumors that one can possess a handgun at age 18, I decided to join the forum and begin learning more. I am currently 17, and my birthday will be this summer.

I've been heavily involved in airsoft combat simulation, and that's what has drawn me to firearms. I've been around guns for the past 7 years or so, and have a wide array of friends in the self-defense and tactical society. I'd love to answer any questions you have! I live in Fair Grove, and spend most of my away-from-home time in Springfield. I attend OTC twice a week.

1. Can I own a handgun once I turn 18? if so, are there any further laws regarding possession or carry?
http://opencarry.org/mo.html

Accordingly, there is no set age limit to Open Carry.

It is unlawful to knowingly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver any firearm to a person who is not eighteen years old without the consent of the custodial parent or guardian.
Meaning, that if your parents consent, from what I understand of the laws, you could openly carry a firearm that you have purchased through a private sale. Dealers won't sell to you until you are 21. Which is not a huge deal, twice a year in Kimberling City there is a gun show where every sale is done by private sellers.

2. Is OC legal in Fair Grove? I live on a street across from a public school-owned football field. Are there any restrictions on carrying on my private property (mainly in my yard)?
According to the Sullivan Publications website (which places online various city codes from cities that offer them): Cannot OC in Fair Grove except with a CCL

6. Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
D. Subparagraphs (1), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State.
With that said, I would recommend that you head to city hall yourself and look up the codes to make certain that Sullivan Pub's site is not outdated.
3. Is OC legal in Springfield? What buildings are off-limits? Can I carry at my church (in Springfield)? Can I carry in my church on weekdays if I should visit during the Christian school's operating hours?
Springfield you can OC in. As to where you can't open carry, well...

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

(2) Sets a spring gun; or

(3) Discharges or shoots a firearm into a dwelling house, a railroad train, boat, aircraft, or motor vehicle as defined in section 302.010, or any building or structure used for the assembling of people; or

(4) Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner; or

(5) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;

(6) Discharges a firearm within one hundred yards of any occupied schoolhouse, courthouse, or church building; or

(7) Discharges or shoots a firearm at a mark, at any object, or at random, on, along or across a public highway or discharges or shoots a firearm into any outbuilding; or

(8) Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof; or

(9) Discharges or shoots a firearm at or from a motor vehicle, as defined in section 301.010, discharges or shoots a firearm at any person, or at any other motor vehicle, or at any building or habitable structure, unless the person was lawfully acting in self-defense; or

(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.
So you cannot OC in a church or other place of worship, election precincts on election days, any government building, schools, school buses, or any place that is a location of a school sponsored/sanctioned function.
I am not 100% certain, but I believe that you can OC in Republic. Again, check with City Hall (ask them to email you a copy of their firearms statues).
Yes. If you have the property owner's permission, you can carry.
Yes it is. Using them on someone though tends to get murky, even if you are performing a citizen's arrest.
Thank you ladies and gentleman very much for assisting me in my search for self-protection!

No problem! Stick around and ask questions.

Last edited:

Firedawg314

Here's the kicker in your question to OC... FROM MY UNDERSTANDING... you could not OC with a handgun until you are 21. Why... you have to be 21 to buy a handgun.... PLEASE don't be the first example of your local area and the state of this. Being 18 allows you to buy a "long gun". Then in those areas, (if still permitted) you can OC.. But why you want to OC with a rifle/ shot gun? In general, you can print off a copy of what is allowed for CC. Even though you are not old enough for it, yet. But I did hear that age have changed. I think it changed from 23 to 21 for a handgun.

As for as handcuff... its one of those "unwritten rules". If cops see you with it... they will think of a few things.
*you are a young cop... so they are going to ask if you are one
*you work for a security company...and why are you wearing them off duty?
*They think you might try to impersonate a cop

But here's a true but weird fact... we are a "Weapon" State. But the use of "knuckles" are illegal. But they sell "knuckles" and stun knuckles through out the state. Its like... you can buy them, but if you use them or caught with them you are in trouble.

Private property... yes its ok...but that thing about handguns come to mind...
And last... the best thing to do... contact a local criminal lawyer there. Most will talk to you for free and be glad to help you out. its best to talk to them know and get the truth than wait until you get fined and locked up.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
One must be 21 to purchase a handgun FROM A LICENSED DEALER (FFL). One CAN purchase a handgun from a private individual at 18, or receive one as a gift. However, if this many civiliams are confused about the law and think 21 is required for possession, imagine how many cops think the same thing? Prepare to be hassled, IMO.

I don't know the answer to your question about a minimum age to OC in your locality.

Boba Fett

I have heard the same thing about the age. I work at every gun show, so I have plenty of options with individuals.

Thanks for the info Verd! Very helpful!

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate

Greets young newbie!

I am an old fart and I sometimes post with a sharp edge and make no bones about telling someone I think they may well be a moron.

Now that we got the what for's out of the way, I have questions and I will answer questions number 5 and 6 as it looked like on a quick read verd got the others real well.

1. There is no "tactical society" there is however a tacticool one and trust me, it is not a pleasant group. Please use google and check out geko45 I believe but "mallninja" will most certainly get you a forum education worth having, please, by all means, check it out before even bothering to respond.

2. In some odd twist of laws, ownership and possession are separate issues. MO has good laws but not great ones yet. That means we have freakin loop holes one can fall into way too easy.

now getting on to your own questions.

5. Well now there kiddo you are thinking very good, far far better than some in the legislature! The answer is YES. See your land is just that and the government has VERY VERY limited sayso on your own land. Think of it like this, if it were not for private property laws, NASCAR would have cops writing tickets to everyone going over 55 right? The government can ONLY regulate public properties like that, not your own land and you can carry a 357 mag and deer hunt with a pistol without permission on your own land so to speak. Please by all means never forget this and hold such things close to the heart, your government would like to change that ASAP.

Now how about number 6 eh?

Well young person and I am going to ASSUME male here for now. If you are into kink and the BDSM scene they may serve you well. If you are not, chicks are going to run like the wind from a potential rapist!

In other words, unless you like the kinky side of life and are involved in it, the cuffs are going to do nothing but hurt you. Now for a non-sexual lesson regarding cuffs, leave them at home! You are not a cop, you should NEVER arrest anyone, no, not even a citizens as the civil liabilities will make you broke beyond my age. You are never to shoot anyone who is not a threat to your life and if you have to it is going to suck real bad. Not just legal problems, but the reality that you took a life, one that MIGHT have become president etc.

I am going to tell you now, I HOPE AND PRAY MY EFFORTS TO PRESERVE YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS TO CARRY A FIREARM AS YOU SEE FIT SERVE YOU WELL IN THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO MAKE THE DECISION TO PULL IT AND BECAUSE OF THIS VERY CONVERSATION YOU CONTINUE THE FIGHT TO PRESERVE THEM FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS.

Firearms make honest men and women equal with the dishonest persons of the world and prevent victims, they are not law enforcement tools, they are safety gear just like safety glasses, preventative tools.

Now, what classes are you enrolled in at OTC? I am curious.

Here's the kicker in your question to OC... FROM MY UNDERSTANDING... you could not OC with a handgun until you are 21. Why... you have to be 21 to buy a handgun.... PLEASE don't be the first example of your local area and the state of this. Being 18 allows you to buy a "long gun". Then in those areas, (if still permitted) you can OC.. But why you want to OC with a rifle/ shot gun? In general, you can print off a copy of what is allowed for CC. Even though you are not old enough for it, yet. But I did hear that age have changed. I think it changed from 23 to 21 for a handgun.

As for as handcuff... its one of those "unwritten rules". If cops see you with it... they will think of a few things.
*you are a young cop... so they are going to ask if you are one
*you work for a security company...and why are you wearing them off duty?
*They think you might try to impersonate a cop

But here's a true but weird fact... we are a "Weapon" State. But the use of "knuckles" are illegal. But they sell "knuckles" and stun knuckles through out the state. Its like... you can buy them, but if you use them or caught with them you are in trouble.

Private property... yes its ok...but that thing about handguns come to mind...
And last... the best thing to do... contact a local criminal lawyer there. Most will talk to you for free and be glad to help you out. its best to talk to them know and get the truth than wait until you get fined and locked up.

Can you cite from the RSMO where it unlawful for a person age 18 to 21 to OC and or purchase a handgun from a private individual or receive one as a gift?

You are confusing the drop of minimum age of 23 to 21 to apply for a CCW with other things. It would be a tremendous help if you would get the facts straight before posting false information.

OC for ME

I have some questions to shoot off...any advice would be massively appreciated!

5. Is OC legal on the private property of others with their express permission?

OK....where to start?

If you have been stalking (the term is lurking) for about a year, what is it that you have learned. Based on the questions you have posted, you have not learned very much. Asking questions is very good, this is how we all learn. What is more important, is to learn what questions to ask before you ask them.

I applaud anyone, especially younger folks, who choose to search for answers to their questions. Especially where our 2A right is concerned.

What do your parents(s)/guardian(s) have to say about your interest in OCing at your first lawful opportunity? This will be the first major hurdle to overcome. If your 'mom' does not like (agree with) you carrying, even though you are 18, a legal adult, your lawful exercise of your 2A right could be nipped in the bud with a simple telephone call to LE.

Typically, as far as civilians are concerned, in my view, airsoft combat simulations are the very last thing a new carrier should rely upon when they first arm themselves. Airsoft toys are just that, toys. Anything you 'learn' from airsoft will be of little value to you when learning how to properly and SAFELY handle a real firearm. Which means that you DO NOT HANDLE YOUR FIREARM IN PUBLIC. All that your airsoft 'experience' does, is ingrain false and unsafe habits.

You must unlearn....what you have learned. (my best Yoda voice)

The worst case scenario for a airsoft 'BB' injury may be that you 'put your eye out'. The worst case for a real firearm, is that folks get dead, right quick and in a hurry.

The first thing you must learn, is what is your motivation for carrying a firearm. Self-defense is the obvious answer, but you must discover and then accept the fact that you may not have the temperament to carry a firearm in public at this time.

Start out on your own private property for a spell, a long spell. See if you can catch yourself doing something that would get you in trouble with the law if done in public. The problem with new carriers is that they obsess over their firearm while carrying. Which ultimately leads to unwanted attention from any LEOs in the vicinity.

What it is that you do with the firearm when not actually thinking about the firearm. Many a new carrier 'fiddles' with their pistol when standing around doing nothing. Just resting your hand on the grip will get you in some serious trouble. It will likely be too late, that you realize that you did not realize, that you were even touching it.

Touting your airsoft experience is a red flag in my view.

Try this until you reach legal age. OC your airsoft pistol around town and practice. Gain experience out in public. The down side is that you may gain a reputation for yourself with LE who get a MWAG call due to your OCing a airsoft pistol. That would be some valuable experience. Do you have a valid state issued picture ID?

With age comes experience and hopefully wisdom. Airsoft are toys, firearms are tools, and never the two should be confused.

Welcome to OCDO. 18 is not that far off, good luck and stay safe.

Oramac

I'm not going to add to the walls of text about laws or anything. I just wanted to say I love your username!

Oramac

hopefully it is not an unconscious desire to emulate the star war character since he asked about handcuffs...sigh

wabbit

Hey, I play Star Wars: The Old Republic too. One of my characters is even a Bounty Hunter. It's all good. So long as we keep the "I am Boba Fett" stuff in game.

Boba Fett

OK....where to start?

If you have been stalking (the term is lurking) for about a year, what is it that you have learned. Based on the questions you have posted, you have not learned very much. Asking questions is very good, this is how we all learn. What is more important, is to learn what questions to ask before you ask them.

I applaud anyone, especially younger folks, who choose to search for answers to their questions. Especially where our 2A right is concerned.

What do your parents(s)/guardian(s) have to say about your interest in OCing at your first lawful opportunity? This will be the first major hurdle to overcome. If your 'mom' does not like (agree with) you carrying, even though you are 18, a legal adult, your lawful exercise of your 2A right could be nipped in the bud with a simple telephone call to LE.

Typically, as far as civilians are concerned, in my view, airsoft combat simulations are the very last thing a new carrier should rely upon when they first arm themselves. Airsoft toys are just that, toys. Anything you 'learn' from airsoft will be of little value to you when learning how to properly and SAFELY handle a real firearm. Which means that you DO NOT HANDLE YOUR FIREARM IN PUBLIC. All that your airsoft 'experience' does, is ingrain false and unsafe habits.

You must unlearn....what you have learned. (my best Yoda voice)

The worst case scenario for a airsoft 'BB' injury may be that you 'put your eye out'. The worst case for a real firearm, is that folks get dead, right quick and in a hurry.

The first thing you must learn, is what is your motivation for carrying a firearm. Self-defense is the obvious answer, but you must discover and then accept the fact that you may not have the temperament to carry a firearm in public at this time.

Start out on your own private property for a spell, a long spell. See if you can catch yourself doing something that would get you in trouble with the law if done in public. The problem with new carriers is that they obsess over their firearm while carrying. Which ultimately leads to unwanted attention from any LEOs in the vicinity.

What it is that you do with the firearm when not actually thinking about the firearm. Many a new carrier 'fiddles' with their pistol when standing around doing nothing. Just resting your hand on the grip will get you in some serious trouble. It will likely be too late, that you realize that you did not realize, that you were even touching it.

Touting your airsoft experience is a red flag in my view.

Try this until you reach legal age. OC your airsoft pistol around town and practice. Gain experience out in public. The down side is that you may gain a reputation for yourself with LE who get a MWAG call due to your OCing a airsoft pistol. That would be some valuable experience. Do you have a valid state issued picture ID?

With age comes experience and hopefully wisdom. Airsoft are toys, firearms are tools, and never the two should be confused.

Welcome to OCDO. 18 is not that far off, good luck and stay safe.

First I want to thank you for being outspoken and honest, I value your advice and your opinion.

If it wasn't for airsoft, I would not be here. I would not know how to index a finger, clear a firearm as soon as I pick it up, have automatic muzzle awareness, or have a clue about general firearm safety. I have also been taught proper self-defense shooting techniques using airsoft handguns and real-world tactics. I have been carrying airsoft guns on my private property for 3+years. In this time, I have never brandished an airsoft replica in public, an have made the utmost efforts to ensure the survival of airsoft as a sport by promoting gun safety and responsible airsoft ownership. I have also personally authored an entire code of conduct and safety manual regarding airsoft ownership and game operations. IMHO, airsoft has made me a much better and safer person.

In fact, without a gun on my hip, I feel rather naked. I frequently carry airsoft guns in my home, and it has become second nature never to touch the item and to be conscious of the area added to my profile.

In my area, players get bawled out and kicked off of fields if they do not treat their airsoft guns as if they were real guns. Mags out or handguns holstered and safeties on is the rule here.

Now that I've gotten of my little soapbox, I am confident in my safety ability with firearms.

As far as my parents' permission and comfort with me carrying, they're quite used to me and my guns, as are most all people who know me. In fact, I don't go many places that people don't know me. lol

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

OC for ME

Good to hear that you have a strict safety regiment. I wouldn't mention that last part anymore on a open forum.

Just remember, real guns will change your mindset. You have been training yourself on a toy gun for three years.

Good luck.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the forum, Boba Fett. I think your questions have been pretty well answered above so I don't have much to add to that.

Just to give you some perspective on why you get some flak about air soft, as posted above, gun forums have for years had to deal with "mall ninjas" and "tacticool" people, often teens, who, well, I guess you could say, approach defensive firearm carry as a real life viideo game. They tend to ask a lot of questions about tactical gear and firearms impractical for daily defensive carry/use. The one thing most of these types seem to have in common in a background in air soft. Because of that, those of us who have been on firearm forums since before you were in kindergarten (or even bulletin boards before you were born), there is an instant association between air soft and a 15 year old kid walking around wearing what he thinks makes him look like GI Joe or a bunch of kids playing army in the woods being lucky not to put out someone's eye.

Not putting it down as the "sport" has clearly evolved in many ways including seeming to have the above types as more of a fringe than the norm (at least so I hear). You seem to have your head genearlly screwed on straight about this. And in all fairness, I have a cheapy airsoft pistol and an airsoft target set I use in the basement. I have found it effective in improving my instinctual shooting and plan to get a better quality airsoft that matches my changed carry sidearm to practice out of the holster work and from longer distances inside. I certainly have come to believe that airsoft can be an effective training tool between dry fire exercises and live fire.

In the vast majority of real life self-defense, from all I have seen, read and been taught in various classes, no shots are fired and the BG generally runs away. In the cases where the firearm is discharged, rather than a tactical activity, it is a matter of 10 seconds or less of violence and fear followed by days and weeks of second-guessing and self-analysis, perhaps longer if severe injury or death is involved. I think it is in this reality that the airsoft background may not serve you so well. You know, you don't have to be 21 to take the CC class and the training does't expire. When I took the class several years ago, we had a few people still in their teens and that was when you still had to be 23 to get your CCW. I just mention this because, while we are discussing OC, the CC class will give a perspective about real life carry. Just to save yourself grief, you may not want to mention OC in the class.... Anyway, taking the class may be informative and then, in a few years, if you decide to get your CCW, you already have that done.

I write none of this as discouragement. I wish there had been information and resources like this available when I was younger. It certanily would have led to different choices and caused me to earlier more actively pursue my enjoyment of shooting sports as well as the exercise of my right to bear arms.

Boba Fett

Very well put sir. I had not realized the connotations involved with airsoft int he real steel community. I realize that I spend well over $2000 a year on very militarized airsoft gear in addition to practical carry gear, but I am quite strict in making sure my loadouts are not influenced by popular media. I don't play video games or watch action movies or TV, just so you know where I'm coming from. Most of the airsofters I'm around are 18+ and extremely gentlemanly and professional in attitude and demeanor.

But yes, there are many different aspects and user groups in airsoft, just as there in any sport or hobby. If it had not been for my familiarization with weapons and tactics learned through airsoft, I would not feel comfortable owning and carrying a firearm as soon as I'm old enough. As it is, I've been preparing myself for a while. I've also made a bit of money selling accessories to both airsofters and firearm shooters. ;)

I've already had a limited amount of training time with instructors, and plan to take Matt Canovi's Practical Handgun Course as soon as I purchase a handgun.

I've also been asked if I'm a police officer on many occasions for various reasons. I also make it my business to explain Open carry to people who didn't know we had the right to bear firearms without having to acquire a permit or license whenever the opportunity presents itself.

What is your new carry gun? I can probably point you in the right direction for an airsoft replica.

And I did the Boba Fett stuff back in the day, but I had to sell a lot of my Mandalorian armor and such to buy tactical gear and airsoft guns.

Oh and to answer a previous question I'm at OTC for an Associate of Arts General transfer Degree. Taking Environmental Science, Intermediate Algebra, History: Reconstruction to the Present, and World Geography this semester.

I sincerely apologize if anyone has gotten the wrong impression of my personality, of course it's only text on a computer screen, so it's always harder to understand a person that you can only see their words.

If anyone's at a Springfield gun show stop by and see me! If I don't a have a table I'll be working in the concession stand. :)

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I've moved to 1911s and just purchased a new full-size 1911 that will roll into my carry selection as soon as it is proved on the range and I find a holster I like. I dont want to spend a lot of money on an airsoft and am not worried about accurate weight, howevver, I do want something with enough oomph to tick over the targets from at least 7 yards and have multi-shot capability. The cheapy I bougtht to try out the concept is just single shot (13 rd magazine but has to be cocked each time). I bought it at Wal-Mart on clearance for $7 to try out the concept. Works pretty well for 10' in training for instinctive shooting. If you have suggestions for an inexpensive but functional 1911 airsoft copy I'll appreciate the advice.

Boba Fett

WE Tech makes a huge selection of full-metal 1911 GBB's (Gas Blow-Backs) that are exactly what you need! They are also the cheapest GBB's on the market, running about $80-$130, and mags only being about $20-$30. 14 or 25 round mag caps. Some WE 1911's even come with an extra magazine!

Here's their site, with 5 pages of handguns to choose from! http://www.weairsoft.com/product.php?s_id=2

I recommend buying from weaponblender.com, airsoftgi.com, ehobbyasia.com, airsoftglobal.com, or airsoftmegastore.com, or ebay.com.