• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elle and pro gun?

nuc65

Activist Member
This was a surprise to see in a magazine a friend of mine reads...

http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Society-Career-Power/Should-I-Buy-a-Gun

...As Lindsay McCrum, a photographer who published the bluntly titled book Chicks With Guns, has said: “When you get outside of the blue-state cities, everybody has a gun.” ...

my warning would be that it is a girly article...

This friend is female and often sees me carrying, although it has long since stopped being an issue with her.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So the author has started thinking. That's good.

But until she answers the very personal and powerful question of "Will I kill another human being?" she is just as vulnerable with the handgun there next to her bed (even moreso because it's unloaded) than she was before she brought it home - and maybe even more vulnerable because she thinks it is some magic talisman.

Firearms can only protect us if we are willing to use them - unhesitatingly willing.

It is a difficult decision to make and the consequences of the choice - to kill or not to kill - may someday define one's entire future. This is something that I often think is purposely left out of the discussion of whether or not to own/carry a firearm for personal defense. It's scary to think that way. It's unsettling - to say the least. It makes one confront every belief and value they hold and decide if they are true expressions of the person we are saying we want to be when we say we want to defend ourself against aggression that could cause us death or serious bodily injury. If we have not already made the decision it may be too late to do so in the parking deck or on the street or in the convenience store when life hangs on the split-second it takes to pull or not pull the trigger.

My very biased opinion is that it is not the public answer we give that is the expression of that decision, but the one we arrive at in the small dark hours of the night when we think something is happening that may cause us to carry out the decision.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So the author has started thinking. That's good.

But until she answers the very personal and powerful question of "Will I kill another human being?" she is just as vulnerable with the handgun there next to her bed (even moreso because it's unloaded) than she was before she brought it home - and maybe even more vulnerable because she thinks it is some magic talisman.

Firearms can only protect us if we are willing to use them - unhesitatingly willing.

It is a difficult decision to make and the consequences of the choice - to kill or not to kill - may someday define one's entire future. This is something that I often think is purposely left out of the discussion of whether or not to own/carry a firearm for personal defense. It's scary to think that way. It's unsettling - to say the least. It makes one confront every belief and value they hold and decide if they are true expressions of the person we are saying we want to be when we say we want to defend ourself against aggression that could cause us death or serious bodily injury. If we have not already made the decision it may be too late to do so in the parking deck or on the street or in the convenience store when life hangs on the split-second it takes to pull or not pull the trigger.

My very biased opinion is that it is not the public answer we give that is the expression of that decision, but the one we arrive at in the small dark hours of the night when we think something is happening that may cause us to carry out the decision.

stay safe.

Well stated Skid!
We all have to set our parameters, then train ourselves to react without hesitation when they are crossed.