• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aftermarket recoil spring and guide rod?

11B2O

Anyone have any experience with an aftermarket recoil spring and guide rod for a Glock? I have a Glock 23 and was just wondering if it made any difference in performance.

Gil223

Anyone have any experience with an aftermarket recoil spring and guide rod for a Glock? I have a Glock 23 and was just wondering if it made any difference in performance.

I'm very satisfied with replacement springs made by Wolff (for Glock see http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5), but have had no reason or desire to replace any of my Glock guide rods. The nice thing about Wolff springs is that you can 'tune' your Glock to satisfy whatever your intended purpose. Stronger, weaker, in the middle... whatever you feel that you need and aren't getting from the spring(s) you are replacing. I have used Wolff springs in my Glocks and my 1911s. Pax...

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
I just tested my friends .40S&W Glock compact with a tungsten guide rod and then without. The heavier rod had a significant reduction in recoil. I was impressed enough to order one for my G36. The slight increase in overall weight is not a concern to me.

matt2636

i wouldnt do it theres no need. some people have issues after putting them in. the only after market stuff you can put on is night sights and a 3.5 connector. you start "enhancing" and messing with springs your gun wont be as reliable and safe. even the 3.5 connector is a factor part so i wouldnt even call it a after market part. ive seen a james yeger on youtube did a 1000 test with his glock 19 and his guid rod melted and fell out and it still functioned just fine. parts can break in your glock and it will still run. its when you take it apart is when it wont work anymore until you replace the part. then again they dont break to often. your money is better spent on buying factory replacement recoil springs.

AirBear

Just purchased and installed a Lone Wolf Stainless steel guide rod and 17 pound factory rated spring for my G-19.
This past weekend went out to test fire the combination with both 115gr. and 124 gr. ammo and had absolutly no malfunctions.
I like the idea that its a couple of ounces heavier than the plastic stock rod, and can't chip or flex during firing. Rod and spring together were just around $20.
Used Blue loctite to secure the screw onto the end of the rod after installing the spring. Of course, the way the Glock is designed. the end of the recoil spring is captured in the recess of the slide and cannot come out during firing even if the scre backs out and falls off. The screw is there for the sole purpose of capturing the spring when the rod assy is removed from the slide for cleaning.