• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice recorder on Federal property

TFred

Security issues aside, such as sensitive military areas, are there any Federal laws or regulations that would override Virginia's one-person consent status for recording conversations on Federal property?

What about non-sensitive areas of military bases, such as a trip to the credit union, or the Exchange, etc?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Federal property is exempt from Va Law TFred. Military bases are further governed by another set of laws yet.
That aside, I don't know of a Federal law that prohibits voice recording aside from some vague provisions in the Patriot act and it's siblings.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Federal property is exempt from Va Law TFred. I know federal property is regulated under/by federa; ;aw, but I was under the impression that they had a choice of using federal or state law to nail you. Please edumacate me where I went wrong on that.

Military bases are further governed by another set of laws yet. Yjose are not laws, but military regulations. And yes, some of those military regulations say that civillians violating the regulations can/will be prosecuted under federal law. Just being a pedant about stuff - because military regulations can go way beyond what the federal law says.

That aside, I don't know of a Federal law that prohibits voice recording aside from some vague provisions in the Patriot act and it's siblings.

If I remember stuff correctly, any place/activity* that restricts recording must be prominently posted.

stay safe.

* For those not familiar with the way the feds mix terms, an "activity" can be either a place/location or a physical action. As a child I used to engage in the activity of watching the girls at the O-Club pool at the research activity where Dad was employed. Both places had their own regulations, many of which conflicted with each other.

Last edited: