Thread: Voice recorder on Federal property

Voice recorder on Federal property

Security issues aside, such as sensitive military areas, are there any Federal laws or regulations that would override Virginia's one-person consent status for recording conversations on Federal property?

What about non-sensitive areas of military bases, such as a trip to the credit union, or the Exchange, etc?

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Federal property is exempt from Va Law TFred. Military bases are further governed by another set of laws yet.
    That aside, I don't know of a Federal law that prohibits voice recording aside from some vague provisions in the Patriot act and it's siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Federal property is exempt from Va Law TFred. I know federal property is regulated under/by federa; ;aw, but I was under the impression that they had a choice of using federal or state law to nail you. Please edumacate me where I went wrong on that.

Military bases are further governed by another set of laws yet. Yjose are not laws, but military regulations. And yes, some of those military regulations say that civillians violating the regulations can/will be prosecuted under federal law. Just being a pedant about stuff - because military regulations can go way beyond what the federal law says.

That aside, I don't know of a Federal law that prohibits voice recording aside from some vague provisions in the Patriot act and it's siblings.
    If I remember stuff correctly, any place/activity* that restricts recording must be prominently posted.

stay safe.

* For those not familiar with the way the feds mix terms, an "activity" can be either a place/location or a physical action. As a child I used to engage in the activity of watching the girls at the O-Club pool at the research activity where Dad was employed. Both places had their own regulations, many of which conflicted with each other.
    Last edited by skidmark; 01-25-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit