• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newark Mayor Encourages Snitches To Turn In Gun Owners (Welcome to the Nervous East)

Gil223

The following is a quote from 2nd Amendment TV ()...
"The mayor of Newark, New Jersey, is offering $1,000 to anybody who anonymously provides information on “illegal guns” in the city. In a video on posted on the City of Newark web page, the “Honorable” Cory A. Booker declares guns on the streets are unacceptable and he is offering the cash incentive to snitches.

However, there is a very obvious problem with the mayor’s program — how will the snitches tell the difference between an illegal and legal gun? How will the police tell the difference between a gang-banger with an illegal gun and a citizen exercising his or her right under the Second Amendment?

Greedy snitches will call in “tips” on everybody who owns a firearm. In fact, Booker’s video would have us believe all firearms are illegal. Booker makes the distinction near the end of the video, not that it matters — the distinction will be lost on snitches interested only in pocketing a thousand bucks (the mayor waves a fantail of cash in the video to make his point and entice the snitches)."

New Jersey - and Newark in particular - is known to have a very high crime rate, which can make Booker's position somewhat understandable (reputedly, when it comes to shootings, Newark, NJ is much like the old west). Do we see any societal benefits to his 'snitch and get rich' approach to the problem, or is there absolutely no up-side? Personally, I think it smacks of the Nazi's approach to identifying/collecting Jews in the 1930's and 1940's.

[video]http://www.2ndamendmenttv.com/videos/attacks-on-our-rights/1000-to-turn-in-your-gun-owning-neighbors-.html[/video]​

Pax...

jbone

I hope that have a similar campaign to get Illegal Aliens off the streets.

Firedawg314

I probably should get that question answered before I invest in a large number of cheap handguns for which I can "anonymously" sell for $1000.00 a piece. :D

DAMN, you read my mind. I was about to call in myself...no I bought my gun at Cabelas... but for $1,000 for each gun...hmmm...

But for real....
its just another way to have "PC" on you, go into your house, job, car, etc. I'm willing to bet that for each gun they get "illegally" 100 people are falsly searched.

This is another way to get those people with "outstanding" warrants, parking tickets etc. I know very little of the law or East Coast, but I know a "trick" when I see one.

Let me guess... how do you know if they owe you a $1,000 for turning that person? Are they going to take out taxes? And fees for going to and locking that person up? Will that money be included on your income taxes?

We had a program here in St. Louis, called "Cash for Guns". NO info need, just show up and turn in, and leave with $50 per hand gun and $100 per long gun. I think the city spent over $5,000 in that program and they claimed " it worked". So, if that city is willing to give $1,000 for snitching... you might as well say... they are giving $100,000... because, you are going to make it so that people will snitch. And even then... you better not have any warrants, etc.

Gil223

Apparently some of you didn't bother to check out the video link. According to the video, the informant stays anonymous, and the city gives them a number which they can take to any bank and gets $1K cash for it. The persons in possession of "illegal guns" apparently have the gun confiscated and are arrested (I guess - the Mayor really didn't say) for unlawful possession of a firearm, or unregistered handgun, or whatever the case may be. (The hidden, associated taxpayer costs - besides the $1K up-front cost - will be in incarceration, feeding, medical care and trial costs) THIS IS NOT A "BUY BACK" PROGRAM! IT'S A TURN IN YOUR NEIGHBOR FOR MONEY PROGRAM! :eek: Pax...

Last edited:

OC for ME

Call in tips on every local politician, bureaucrat. There is no way that any of the folks I mention are clean as the wind driven snow, it is Newark NJ after all. I'll betcha a dollar to a doughnut that many of those folks have at least one 'unregistered' gun.

Dreamer

(reputedly, when it comes to shootings, Newark, NJ is much like the old west).

Newark can only DREAM it's homicide rate was like that of the "Old West". In the period between the end of the Civil War and the beginning of the 20th Century, the "Old West" had a lower homicide rate than ANY major city in the East.

Know your history...

Gil223

Newark can only DREAM it's homicide rate was like that of the "Old West". In the period between the end of the Civil War and the beginning of the 20th Century, the "Old West" had a lower homicide rate than ANY major city in the East.

Know your history...

Key words: "shootings" (shots fired at a human being with the intent to do bodily harm, not just homicides - I didn't mention "homicides")
and
"reputedly" (according to reputation or popular belief) ;) Pax...

P.S. In Newark, a city with a population of 277,140, the year 2011 ended with 91 homicides and 429 shootings (they don't count failures), both up from 2010 (that's one homicide every 96 hours, and 1.2 shootings per day). And, I was surprised to find out that Newark has an electronic "Gunshot Detection System".
By way of comparison, the entire state of UT (pop: 308,745,538) had 53 homicides (Salt Lake Tribune). I could find no stats on simply "shootings" in UT.

Last edited: