• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc in truck

muccione

Loaded or unloaded... It doesn't matter. IMO if its unloaded you might as wall have a paper weight.

If you Have a CHP them carry it as you please.

If you don't have a CHP that carry iy where it can be seen if stopped by a LEO.

chiefjason

Personal truck or big rig? Well, actually it does not matter. Either are GTG as long as it's in plain view. My dads old truck had 36" tires, 3" body, and 3" suspension lift. He told a NCHP that he had a gun openly on the dash. The cop told him he could not see it. My dad told him it was not his problem he was too short. lol

REDFIVE48

CDL in an 18 wheeler, I have the same question, my buddy (who is a truck driver) once told me that by federal law (or regulation) that CDL truck drivers are not allowed to be armed. I thought it sounded like bull, but not having a CDL I wasn't going to argue with him.

ArmySoldier22

CDL in an 18 wheeler, I have the same question, my buddy (who is a truck driver) once told me that by federal law (or regulation) that CDL truck drivers are not allowed to be armed. I thought it sounded like bull, but not having a CDL I wasn't going to argue with him.

I've heard that before as well. But most truck drivers choose to arm themselves anyway due to some of the places they have to be at odd hours. I know I would.

rotorhead

I drove trucks for almost 2 years and was told by the company driving instructors that having a gun in the truck was illegal per federal laws/ regulations. This was in '98-'00. I never did look up the actual federal laws back then, I just sort of took people's word for it. If I had to guess, I would start looking in the Interstate Commerce laws/ regulations to find it. I thought it was pretty dumb that you couldn't have the means to protect yourself while on the job. Not only were guns prohibited, but other weapons like knives (certain sizes were ok, like folding knives with less than 3" blades), blackjacks, brass knuckles, etc. None of these weapons where allowed in the cab. Most people simply carried their winch/ tie down strap bars in the cabs as a form of protection. There wasn't much else legal to have in the cab.

I held my CDL until last year but haven't driven a commercial truck since 2001. I don't know what the rules are nowadays, but I can imagine they tightened up quite a bit since 9/11. I know the hazmat stuff got pretty stupid anyway.

Edit: I'm not sure why the phrase "commercial truck" would auto-set an external link but I didn't put it there.

Last edited:

chiefjason

The Feds are silent on gun carry in a CMV. It's the state law that applies. If you can legally carry in the state, you're GTG.

You cannot find a law that does not exist.

rotorhead

The Feds are silent on gun carry in a CMV. It's the state law that applies. If you can legally carry in the state, you're GTG.

You cannot find a law that does not exist.

I was just searching it to see what I could find. I found....nothing lol. What I was told was probably company policy more than an actual cite from a federal law.

I did find this, though. It pretty much says the same thing you are saying...

http://askthetrucker.com/cdl-federal-gun-law/

You're right though- if it's not there, it's not there. In that case, it would be legal according to the feds and the various state laws would be what you'd have to worry about, along with the company policy a driver works under.

Greg Parsons

carry in cmv

i have carried in cmv no federal law says you cant peaceable journy law says yes if keep locked seperate from ammo excluding glove compartmen but different citty and local laws may be differen on that and company policies

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i have carried in cmv no federal law says you cant peaceable journy law says yes if keep locked seperate from ammo excluding glove compartmen but different citty and local laws may be differen on that and company policies

Firearms Owners Protective Act (FOPA) has a big fish hook in it, in that if you stop for other than gas, food or sleep i.e. to make a delivery, buy a jacket or visit a friend you break the protective veil.
US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

bc.cruiser

What are the rules for having a gun in my truck in N.C. do I need to unload and lock up my 38. Every time I drive my truck? Also are their any changes to gun laws about OC'ing in N.C. ?

Help us out here. You've been asked if it is a personal or company truck; is it a REAL truck or a pickup? Either way, staying in NC you're okay for whatever type of carrying you are legal to do (OC/CC). Keep it loaded.

I am a CDL-A driver. I also have an NC CHP. This keeps me legal in most places; through NY and some others I "bite the bullet" and secure it just to avoid problems. Individual states allow/disallow OC/CC; the Feds allow you to 'transport' guns through anti-gun states.