• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at the 2A rally?

Rich B

This is the guidance that DPS gave to the State Police:

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/7fd5472e-3f90-4b4a-84c7-ea345e5bb3a0 said:
STATE OF CONNECTICUT
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown. CT 06457

2nd Amendment Rally, State Capitol
April 10, 2010

A rally in support of the 2nd Amendment is currently scheduled for April 10, 2010 at 1300 hours on the north lawn of the State capitol. While the Capitol building and grounds are under the jurisdiction of the State Capitol Police, there is the possibility that State Police personnel may be asked to assist the Capitol Police, or may have occasion to observe and/or come into contact with individuals who are carrying firearms, either openly or concealed. In light of this scheduled event, specific guidance concerning law enforcement matters related to firearms at this event follows:

o State Police personnel should not arrest a properly permitted individual merely for publicly carrying a handgun in plain view.

o State Police personnel should not arrest individuals merely for publicly carrying a firearm other than a handgun in plain view.

o Exceptions to the general guidance stated above include, but are not limited to:

o It is prohibited for private citizens to possess firearms inside the State Capitol or Legislative Office Building (Conn. Gen. Stat. $ 2-1e).

o It is prohibited for private citizens to possess firearms in any Hartford city park (Hartford Municipal Code Article II, Sec. 26-39). Violations should be brought to the attention of Hartford Police for the appropriate enforcement action.

o State Police personnel should not request individuals to produce their pistol permits unless such individual has become the subject of a law enforcement investigative inquiry for another reason.

Whether or not probable cause exists to support an arrest depends upon the totality of the circumstances known to the Trooper at the time. Particular attention should be paid to those facts and circumstances which support an inference that an individual to be arrested intended or
recklessly created an unreasonable risk of danger or alarm. Troopers should be careful to document all of the facts and circumstances which justify any arrest which is made. As with all law enforcement action taken by State Police personnel, the safety of both the officer and the
general public is of paramount concern.

With those principles in mind, and with specific regard to matters involving firearms, State Police personnel should ensure that they strictly follow State Police policies and procedures.

KIX

I'll be there, open carry and I won't be paranoid.

The more the better, especially given the climate of potential legislation we had last year. We need to be recognized that normal Americans do have guns.

Jonathan

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'll be there, open carry and I won't be paranoid.

The more the better, especially given the climate of potential legislation we had last year. We need to be recognized that normal Americans do have guns.

Jonathan

I prefer the gov't not know what guns I own ... there are about 270 million guns in the US ... it that doesn't tell our legislature that we like our guns, nothing does,

KIX

I prefer the gov't not know what guns I own ... there are about 270 million guns in the US ... it that doesn't tell our legislature that we like our guns, nothing does,

Dude, you're off your rocker.

You think going to a rally would let the government know what guns you own? Not to mention, if you procured them legally over the last few decades, they already know.

You, seriously have issues.

Jonathan

KIX

Do you own a colt ar-15? I do ... and an AK47 ...

So? Congratulations for you. I have an AR-15 style rifle I built that surpasses the mil spec Colt. I like the Colt, but I like what I have no more. But to each is own.

We have stupid laws in this state. And yes, this is why we fight for our collective rights.

But it's all good. You can cuddle up with your AR and your AK at night knowing that while you do absolutely nothing to preserve your rights, there are many of us that will do that for you.

However, if we lose some of our rights, you lost all credibility about bitching about it later on as you obviously don't want to lift a finger to preserve the rights you have now.

Jonathan

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davidmcbeth

Why bother going -- the cops will just take your picture and mess with you later.

And why can't we own AR-15s ? Commies.

Please stop with this misinformation.

User davidmcbeth needs to read the rules, provide cites, and cease the dissemination of unsupported facts/heresay.
Those that do not follow the rules are subject to sanctions.

hobie16

my thoughts and q's?

To the many wise and experience members:
Does anybody know if they will be reissueing the notice from 2010 rally to State Police so that newer Troopers are aware?
Did the Capitol police recieve a similar notice in 2010?
Were there any issues at the 2010 rally? What do we do? Just hang out and get to know each other? I have only been gun owner/ permit holder/ forum member for a year so was just wondering what it was like. I plan on being there and finally meeting a lot of you fine folks. I have not made it to any CCDL meeting or other meet and greets but am looking forward to it!

For all members:
The farthest I have really OC'd is my front yard, okay maybe the gas station as well. I have heard on here of members Ocing in NL County {(I live in Norwich) but I am a little nervous. EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THE NEGATIVE ATTENTION IS FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. I have absorbed a lot of information on here and don't always post. I love the fact that we can OC and tell many people about the legality of it. I know the best way to appreciate my right is to do it {I got it Rich :)}..
Now to the point: Rich has offered to OC with people if they are nervous. I will taking this 2A rally as an opportunity to OC with MANY like minded individuals. I know there are members on here who may not have OC'd yet because they are nervous. What better way to get our feet wet than this?!?! This experience may give many of us the confidence boost we need! Still unsure? Rock your OWB holster covered by your sweatshirt or jacket and when you get there and realize we are all in this together, tuck your shirt between your body and holster and let it hang out!! Anybody else this will be a good 1st time to do it if you haven't yet? Let me hear it!
Thanks to all you guys do for the 2A community, I really appreciate it and hope to become more involved. Also, any media attention last time? Seems like a good opportunity to let people know OC is legal. I still have friends with permits who think they say concealed somewhere on it in invisible ink...LOL

Kyle Gless

Rich B

The farthest I have really OC'd is my front yard, okay maybe the gas station as well. I have heard on here of members Ocing in NL County {(I live in Norwich) but I am a little nervous. EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THE NEGATIVE ATTENTION IS FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. I have absorbed a lot of information on here and don't always post. I love the fact that we can OC and tell many people about the legality of it. I know the best way to appreciate my right is to do it {I got it Rich :)}..
Now to the point: Rich has offered to OC with people if they are nervous. I will taking this 2A rally as an opportunity to OC with MANY like minded individuals. I know there are members on here who may not have OC'd yet because they are nervous. What better way to get our feet wet than this?!?! This experience may give many of us the confidence boost we need! Still unsure? Rock your OWB holster covered by your sweatshirt or jacket and when you get there and realize we are all in this together, tuck your shirt between your body and holster and let it hang out!! Anybody else this will be a good 1st time to do it if you haven't yet? Let me hear it!
Thanks to all you guys do for the 2A community, I really appreciate it and hope to become more involved. Also, any media attention last time? Seems like a good opportunity to let people know OC is legal. I still have friends with permits who think they say concealed somewhere on it in invisible ink...LOL

Kyle Gless

If you are nervous about OCing in everyday life, I can't imagine starting to OC at the capitol building. With how many LEOs there will be, that is not the place to try and become comfortable IMO.

I would advise you walk before you run.

KIX

If you are nervous about OCing in everyday life, I can't imagine starting to OC at the capitol building. With how many LEOs there will be, that is not the place to try and become comfortable IMO.

Dunno about that..... he will be there with a lot of people already OCing. I'd think that would be comfortable. If he wants, right after the rally, he can simply cover up as he walks back to his car.

Keep in mind people, park on the south side of the capitol or in their garage or nearby if available. DO NOT park on the north side of the capitol (facing Union Station and the Soldiers and Memorial Park). It is a park on that side, thus, the Hartford ordinance kicks in about not carrying in parks.

I will repost this info as we get closer to the event.

Jonathan

hobie16

Dunno about that..... he will be there with a lot of people already OCing. I'd think that would be comfortable. If he wants, right after the rally, he can simply cover up as he walks back to his car.

Keep in mind people, park on the south side of the capitol or in their garage or nearby if available. DO NOT park on the north side of the capitol (facing Union Station and the Soldiers and Memorial Park). It is a park on that side, thus, the Hartford ordinance kicks in about not carrying in parks.

I will repost this info as we get closer to the event.

Jonathan

Thanks Jon (meant to do that earlier)

I am reposting your parking advice for you as I was looking for it and this should benefit others as well.