• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

showing a pistol?

G30Mike

actually, i have fired glocks alot, never thought if getting a pistol. ruger was a GREAT choice for a first start. before the incident(about 2 hours before) i shot around 1K rounds through the chamber to get used to the pistol and the conditions they have. never once locked up on me.
This is not directed at the OP but rather those who really need to learn reading comprehension. He said he shot 1K rounds 2 hours BEFORE the incident occured. Who knows, he could have been at the range for hours.:p

Last edited:

Schlepnier

I associate with firearms enthusiasts as such on occasion some have wanted to see my sidearm out of it's holster. in such cases i usually take them to an area out of general view(indoors) on private property. if they just want to see it i do so by holding it in my hand, if they want to hold it i drop the magazine and clear it before i safety it and hand it to them. it's all about being responsible and smart.

:banana:

SpyderTattoo

Think of it this way... If you don't have a CPL, you're not allowed to have your gun, loaded, in your vehicle. So, you're supposed to unload the gun before entering the vehicle. Then you must exit the vehicle to reload the weapon (if you want to) once you reach your destination. So, the way the laws have been written, there must be some allowance for people to load/unload before exiting/entering a vehicle if they choose to not hold a CPL. This would not meet all the requirements of .270.

I must say that unholstering your weapon to show someone is really stupid. Leave it in the holster. Any time you handle it has more potential for disaster than just leaving it holstered. It doesn't matter if there is not a round in the chamer. A magazine inserted is considered a loaded weapon.

Trigger Dr

This is not directed at the OP but rather those who really need to learn reading comprehension. He said he shot 1K rounds 2 hours BEFORE the incident occured. Who knows, he could have been at the range for hours.:p

Re read post 19. Reading comprehension ?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Also he said there was no round in the chamber, why not? He likes paper weights? Any way "he" asked to see it, so that would not constitute "brandishing". There was no menacing waving about.

jbone

I'm guessing by the comments made of your show and tell that you now understand that it was a big no-no. If you hear "Well are you going to pull those pistol or whislte Dixie" That's a differnet story, as it may be do or die, but if you hear "Well are you going to show that pistol or work on my car" just work on he car!

Glad to hear you won't do it again.

PistolPackingMomma

actually, i have fired glocks alot, never thought if getting a pistol. ruger was a GREAT choice for a first start. before the incident(about 2 hours before) i shot around 1K rounds through the chamber to get used to the pistol and the conditions they have. never once locked up on me. after about the 5th clip i got very accurate with it.

Just to share a little knowledge with you; it is a magazine, not a clip.

I also can't tell by the first sentence you typed if you meant that you've fired lots of glocks before, but never thought of getting your own pistol, or if you aren't aware that handguns are pistols.

Metalhead47

Oh what the hell...

73764344.jpg

Metalhead47

I will call your "Oh what the hell" and raise you a "Oh yeah!"

http://www.nraila.org/issues/firearmsglossary/

That probably is a real peeve of some when the NRA says clip and magazine are synonymous.

As well as Remington Arms:
http://www.remington.com/products/a...ips/models-six-7600-760-76magazine-clips.aspx

This is a Remington Magazine Clip:
7600magazine.ashx

And according to Brownells, this is a Clip Magazine:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7944/Product/-22-RIMFIRE-CLIP-MAGAZINE
p_533400567_1.jpg

Oh Gawd. Think we set a new record this time:

View attachment 7821

.45ACPaddy

Here's my take, I am not a lawyer.

To the best of my knowledge, the term "brandishing" is not defined in any Washington state law. As others have posted, look at RCW 9.41.270 and if you have any further questions, contact a lawyer for solid answers.

If I'm at my own house, on my own property, and someone asks to see my gun... assuming it's a person I trust... I'm at home so I have no problem showing it to them. I'm on private property where I live! If it leaves the holster, it's gonna be pointed in a safe direction and, obviously, body language won't be showing any sort of threatening gestures or mood. Think: Two guys shooting the breeze (no pun intended) and talking about a piece of steel vs. one guy getting all hyped up and the other looking like he needs to change his pants. In my opinion, intent is a huge factor in the legal situation. In my neighborhood most of my neighbors are law abiding gun owners and don't blink twice at the sight of a gun in a neighbor's hands. If I were in a neighborhood where the neighbors didn't like guns, or were unfamiliar with the sight of them, I'd bring the person inside first, and then show it to them.

However, if I were out in public and someone asked to see my gun, I'd say "Well, it's right there in the holster so look with your eyes all you want! I won't unholster it though. Only at the range or at home when I'm cleaning, inspecting or putting it away, or if I need it as an absolute last resort to save my own life, or that of a friend or family member."

Your house, your discretion I say. When out in public, though, I wouldn't unholster it unless you're at a range or you're defending yourself in accordance with the law. It all boils down to common sense, really.

We could all go into "Well what if <insert situation here> happened?" There's millions of different things that could happen. Personally, if I'm practicing common sense, not doing anything unsafe (i.e. stupid) and I'm not breaking the law, then I'm not going to worry too much.

If you're really worried about all the "what-ifs" then just go inside and show your friend your gun. Safely, of course. :p

RugerSR9

your right :) but it shows that people are trolls here.. getting WAY off subject.. and btw, I spend that much on a ruger.. i love my ruger.. and it does not matter how much some one spends on ammunition. i also reload my own(beginning) so back to the subject, and for those who want to troll, get the hell off this site.. this site is ment to be informational. to teach others like myself, about the rules the go along with carrying a hand gun. the do's and don'ts.. the how to's.. the LAW. to get on here and accuse someone of being "BS" as you say is immature.. im 22.. and have the right to ask questions without being ridiculed about what i say. In that case, thank you all who have put in a SEROUS post.