• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another movie to get your point across to someone; why 2A is important

Firedawg314

I just finished watching this movie called “Contagion”. It has Matt Damien and some other actors. Of course it’s another movie about people being sick and the world don’t know what to do.
What caught my attention, is where people where line up at a pharmacy to get a vaccine and the employee said, “We can only give out 50 today” at that second, people went crazy, fighting and looting banks, stores, etc.
Ok that was expected, even for the most “anti-gun” person. This one scene, Matt looked out the window like any other day, he seen two quick flashes at his neighbor’s house… he quickly called 911, and two men with mask on came running out. When 911 “answered” it was a recording. The message basically went like this;
“You have dial 911, due to our heavy call volume our automated service has been activated… if you need medical assistance press 1. If you need fire department, press 2. If you need police press 3. If you need a body picked up, press 4… etc.” So basically, you aint going to get help.
So later Matt went to different neighbor’s house (who’s probably dead), and “borrowed” his shot gun to keep at his house.

Yeah we laugh, but we know it’s true… something like that where to happen… we would probably do the same thing. If you haven’t seen it… you will get a kick in the end. Something like that is 99% to happen than a zombie attack… then again… this is the most likeliness of a “zombie attack” happening than the ones you see on TV.
In short, a few people who are close to me… now see me in a different light…
So, watch it and express your thoughts about it.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

And this movie shows part of the reason why I don't fly. I just a soon drive to where I need to go than to use any public transportation.

DrakeZ07

Does anyone on this forum actually speak English as their native language?

Why yes, good sir, but you see, since this is online, and we cannot talk to each other via a microphone, nor listen to one another via speakers, we generally resort to typing.

Perhaps you mean; "Does anyone on this forum actually write English as their native language?"

If that was the case, then yes, the majority of us write our native language of English; However, most tend to incorporate various dialects of the language into their writing.

I certainly hope this was both an educational joy, and fun experiance for you, as it was for myself.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I imagine that most of the members and guests of OCDO do, those members and guests who do not, may not understand your question. So, your question should be classified as rhetorical, with a qualifier for the non-English speaking members.

DrakeZ07

I imagine that most of the members and guests of OCDO do, those members and guests who do not, may not understand your question. So, your question should be classified as rhetorical, with a qualifier for the non-English speaking members.

Ya know, I think your version is better suited for the smarta** role than mine, plus yours is funnier :p

since9

Campaign Veteran
So later Matt went to different neighbor’s house (who’s probably dead), and “borrowed” his shot gun to keep at his house.

I love how uber-liberal Damon reverts to reality when it suits him, even if only as a character in a movie. I suppose he'd blow it off as "that's Hollywood," and for unlikely scenarios such as Contagion, I'd agree.

A far more likely scenario, that of the run-of-the-mill breaking and entering happens many times every day throughout the U.S. For those times, you never know when you'll be next, so it behooves us to "borrow" our neighbor's shotgun NOW, before...

Just kidding. It behooves us to be prepared with our own firearms to stop such criminal activity. If the SHTF in a Contagion-like scenario, however, I wouldn't have any qualms about securing a dead neighbor's firearms so as to prevent them from falling into the hands of criminals. If a known and good, but not-so-well-prepared neighbor came by asking for help, I'd have no problem saying, "This is our fort. Help secure it," and hand them a firearm.

In short, a few people who are close to me… now see me in a different light…

As much damage as Hollywood has done to our right to keep and bear arms, it has, often inadvertently, done some good, as well. :)

And this movie shows part of the reason why I don't fly.

Not I. Statistically speaking, I'm much more safe (about 11 times) flying to California to see my son than driving, not because of my driving (one accident in half a million miles) but because of the other guy (I've been nailed eight times in those half a million miles).

I just a soon drive to where I need to go than to use any public transportation.

I've also lived in Northern Virginia, and preferred the subway as opposed to driving around D.C. (though I've done both). While in London, public transportation was actually fun!

Around here, though, public transportation is spotty, at best. I'll take a shuttle from a park-n-ride to the football stadium, but I drive myself around town. There's little cost savings, a lot of expense in terms of the extra time it takes, no real advantage with respect to safety, and a serious increase in exposure to pathogens.

Why do you ask? Are you having difficulty understand what's been written in plain English?

I haven't, at least not in this thread. If you've a gripe with someone's grammar, spelling, or punctuation, may I suggest you find employment as a copy editor?

OC for ME

I actually liked yours better than mine, but a simple 'ditto' from me would've sounded lame at the time.