• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for Open Carry of Revolver

ppardue1

First I would like to introduce myself as this is my first post. My name is Phillip, I just turned 21 and my birthday present was the money for a handgun carry permit. I, like many here, believe that having a method for self-defense is a responsibility that every citizen has. I have yet to buy myself any alcohol, but the first thing I did buy was a gun.

With my introduction out of the way, I will proceed with my question. My only handgun is a Colt 1860 BP revolver. (There are reasons I chose this gun and I realize that many would disagree with its viability as a weapon for self-defense. If you are one of those, PM me. I will be happy to discuss it there or in another thread.) My permit should be issued shortly and I need to decide on a suitable holster for this gun. I have looked around at all the options for popular guns such as the 1911 with their many levels of retention. It seems, though, that revolvers are far less refined in this area, especially considering the obscurity of my gun.

That said, what would those more seasoned recommend for carrying this gun? I have qualms with carrying in a holster that has no retention what-so-ever. The only holster I have been able to find that has any level of retention is this: http://www.cowboyneeds.com/310.html

Thank you for your help.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I applaud your choice. You are only going to find two types of retention holsters for such a great OC piece: the one you found and styles with a simple loop that goes over the hammer spur. I think you are better served with the strap, which should be fine for OC retention purposes. The comfort of a holster is one of my more important criteria, so I hope you find one that you can use comfortably, especially with such long sidearms.

But you are required to have a permit to OC a BP in TN? And were you required to be 21 to purchase a BP, or was that just because you were waiting until you could legally get the permit? In most places, I think you can mail order them at 18.

Welcome to the forum. I think the biggest disadvantage to your choice is the stability of the powder charge if it remains loaded for long periods of time without being fired, but I am NOT an expert on BP firearms.

Personally, I've collected a couple Ruger Old Army revolvers to use if laws were to limit me to such a weapon. Other than their weight and size, there is no denying the effectiveness for the task.

EDIT: On second thought, though they are not typically labeled for the BP guns, a good holster designed for a modern single-action cartridge revolver should serve you. For example, I have a Safariland vertical shoulder holster for a 7.5" Ruger Vaquero (the original large frame ones). It is comfortable for both OC and CC (the latter in the winter only!) Many holsters for a large six-gun of the same barrel length as your BP gun may work quite well.

Last edited:

ppardue1

But you are required to have a permit to OC a BP in TN? And were you required to be 21 to purchase a BP, or was that just because you were waiting until you could legally get the permit? In most places, I think you can mail order them at 18.

I didn't have a need for a handgun since I could not carry it. This is why I waited until I could legally carry a handgun before purchasing one. I live on a farm and am well stocked in terms of long guns so I didn't really need anything else until now.

In Tennessee you need a permit to carry in any capacity (obviously other than transporting).

Thos.Jefferson

period holster

Cabelas has hunter style holsters for a very reasonable price made to fit your side arm perfectly. I like your choice of weapon but personally prefer the Remington New model Army revolver as you can get spare cylinders for them which makes reloading a breeze.

fire suppressor

I think Mac has some good advice there I have never seen a serpa lock holster for black powder but wish they made them. Nice choice by the way its nice to see someone with such refined taste. I carry a XD as my EDC gun but have a Remington 1858 I just love. People are to quick to dismiss them they are amazing guns even by today's standards