• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate bills in Courts of Justice today

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I spent the whole afternoo there and videoed until about 4:00 but was trying to do a few other things, so I missed some of it. I'll try to watch the video tonight.

Here are some results:
SB 324 Continued until 2013
SB 224 Reported out of committee and is in Finance. Philip was a little miffed at that.
SB 323 Reported from Courts of Justice
SB 379 Passed by
SB 554 Reported from Courts of Justice with amendments
SB 648 Passed by
SB 612 This is a P4P bill that was continued until 2013

TFred

I spent the whole afternoo there and videoed until about 4:00 but was trying to do a few other things, so I missed some of it. I'll try to watch the video tonight.

Here are some results:
SB 224 Reported out of committee and is in Finance. Philip was a little miffed at that.
SB 323 Reported from Courts of Justice
SB 379 Passed by
SB 554 Reported from Courts of Justice with amendments
SB 648 Passed by
SB 612 This is a P4P bill that was continued until 2013
SB 324 is the full state agency preemption bill... any discussion on why they decided to put it off?

TFred

TFred

I wasn't in for that but am watching the video now.
So let me get this straight. You hike to Richmond, get to the meeting room early and stake out a good spot for your video camera, set it up, turn it on... then go away for a while to watch some other meeting(s), return later, pack up camera and go home, then pull out the tape to see what happened?

That's hard core there. :banana:

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So let me get this straight. You hike to Richmond, get to the meeting room early and stake out a good spot for your video camera, set it up, turn it on... then go away for a while to watch some other meeting(s), return later, pack up camera and go home, then pull out the tape to see what happened?

That's hard core there. :banana:

TFred

It's not quite that simple:lol:
I'm a Rural Affairs Lobbyist. I try to stay out of Gun Bills other than support VCDL although I did cheat a little on the "Give em to the Feds" Bills. I wasn't the only one though.

Anyway, I have other bills at stake and I have to do more than just watch meetings. These bills are decided a long time before the Committee meets. I talk to other lobbyists, Legislative Assistants, try to catch legislators going from one meeting to another and most of all, listen to what's happening with certain bills and why.

I also have to smoke a cigarette once in a while and drink some coffee.

So yeah, I did set the camera up and let it run while I was out but I spent more time in the meeting than I usually do.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll tell you who I didn't hear while I was in the room and he was there.
smile4.jpg

Makes you wonder what the NRA's real opinion on these bills is.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Rural affairs...is that like when your cousin marries your sister who is already married to your uncle?

Just kidding, thanks for taking the time to make all these videos.

Mike

Site Co-Founder

Here are some results:

Thanks for taping and posting this - I bet Philip was miffed - the committee never even took public comments against the bill!

Hopefully when they re-vote on these bills the committee will corrct this oversight.

SB 224 is an effort to shanghai Virginia law so as to make Virginia a Lautenberg state.

This back door effort needs to be crushed - if they want to make a single misdemeanor domestic assault and battery conviction a gun disability, then it should be done directly under Virginia law - one vote, up or down on the policy.

Besides, a second conviction for domestic assault and battery in Virginia is an automatic felony and gun DQ.

Finally, the White case noted that if the record of the conviction - the warrant - explicity states that the offense included the element of actual force or threat of actual force - that a Lautenberg disability would still arise. So in other words, on a first conviction, judges and prosecutors have the ability to generate a Lautenberg disability if they really want to.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Thanks for taping and posting this - I bet Philip was miffed - the committee never even took public comments against the bill!

Hopefully when they re-vote on these bills the committee will corrct this oversight.

SB 224 is an effort to shanghai Virginia law so as to make Virginia a Lautenberg state.

This back door effort needs to be crushed - if they want to make a single misdemeanor domestic assault and battery conviction a gun disability, then it should be done directly under Virginia law - one vote, up or down on the policy.

Besides, a second conviction for domestic assault and battery in Virginia is an automatic felony and gun DQ.

Finally, the White case noted that if the record of the conviction - the warrant - explicity states that the offense included the element of actual force or threat of actual force - that a Lautenberg disability would still arise. So in other words, on a first conviction, judges and prosecutors have the ability to generate a Lautenberg disability if they really want to.

If lawmakers feel domestic assault and battery is so bad, why don't they make it a felony?

Removing fundamental rights based on a
misdemeanor is offensive to me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If lawmakers feel domestic assault and battery is so bad, why don't they make it a felony?

Removing fundamental rights based on a
misdemeanor is offensive to me.

+1

I'll take it a little further. Removing fundamental rights is offensive.

Since when did the removal of the right to on a gun stop a determined killer?

Does the removal of voting rights somehow punish a felon?

Domestic assault, real assault is bad, but this law like most is abused by unhappy spouses. We can't legislate morality.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
peter nap;1692132[I said:
]----snip----[/I]

Domestic assault, real assault is bad, but this law like most is abused by unhappy spouses. We can't legislate morality.

That is one of the primary goals of much legislation though - prevent an act through statute. Has that ever worked - even once?
canstock0069806.jpg