• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Bill (HB1369) progress

mspgunner

HB 1369 has been assigned to a committee "General Laws". Many of the House members on this committee are pro-2A.
More infromation soon.

Missouri House of Representatives
96th General Assembly, 2nd Regular Session
General Laws

Committee
Franz, Ward, Chair
Richardson, Todd, Vice Chair
Colona, Mike
Cross, Gary L.
Day, David
Funderburk, Doug
Houghton, Jay
McCaherty, John
McCreery, Tracy
McDonald, Tom
Parkinson, Mark
Pollock, Darrell
Scharnhorst, Dwight
Schupp, Jill
Swearingen, Jay

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
HB 1369 has been assigned to a committee "General Laws". Many of the House members on this committee are pro-2A.
More infromation soon.

Well take a look folks, an OC bill that is actually moving!

No, it ain't 680 and no, it ain't constitutional carry, but it IS progress.

Time to start thanking our reps for their support and stand behind BOTH bills!

I want 680 so bad I can taste it, but as we have seen before, OC bills have always died noiseless deaths including previous ones like this for OC with a CCW. I am going to shoot off notes tomorrow, hell I want to see them BOTH PASS lol, I want it heard across the state that we are here and law abiding citizens want their rights back!

Letters, phone calls, and thank you notes are what is going to get it done and every person writing them is the reason this is happening!

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Well take a look folks, an OC bill that is actually moving!

No, it ain't 680 and no, it ain't constitutional carry, but it IS progress.

Time to start thanking our reps for their support and stand behind BOTH bills!

I want 680 so bad I can taste it, but as we have seen before, OC bills have always died noiseless deaths including previous ones like this for OC with a CCW. I am going to shoot off notes tomorrow, hell I want to see them BOTH PASS lol, I want it heard across the state that we are here and law abiding citizens want their rights back!

Letters, phone calls, and thank you notes are what is going to get it done and every person writing them is the reason this is happening!

Same here, I can taste 680 I want it so badly.

OC for ME

Support both, but support SB680 first and foremost. HB1369 is a 'hold your nose' bill in my view. A back-up plan, a 'well it's better than nothing' bill.

My views on HB1369 and SB680

If HB1369 gets the nod and then Nixon's signature it is unlikely we will see preemption let alone constitutional carry in our kid's life times.

jad316

Just curious, how long does it take for action to follow on these bills? I just can’t imagine Governor Nixon signing this. Hopefully I'm WRONG. This is election yr and strange things can happen....FINGERS CROSSED

OC for ME

Perusing the three threads on this topic, it seems that SB680 will be/is being left behind.

HB1369 seems to be the anointed legislation.

Folks giving lip service to SB680. SB680 better, HB1369 good, but we won't discuss SB680 because it talks about the 'P' word. So, by default, HB1369 is the better legislation.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Perusing the three threads on this topic, it seems that SB680 will be/is being left behind.

HB1369 seems to be the anointed legislation.

Thats because you keep trying to make 1369 into something it never was and are pretending there is some kind of agenda.

Perhaps there is, are you here from another group just trying to trash the folks who brought sb680 to the floor of the senate? Seems like a good stratigy if your goal is to retain control of the gun legislation in MO. When a new group starts up and gets active, fire off a far less popular legislation and then be critical of the group for supporting it.

Sounds a lot like MO politics to me and it souds like a lot of gun group history as well.

mspgunner

Bravo, So what exactly does the committee do? How does it get to a vote by the rest of the house members?

Doc

The "Committee" wil lhold a public hearing. Those for a bill speak first, those against speak next. There is no rebutal!
The committee will then vote to "pass" or "do not pass", then it goes back to the House for debate and vote ""yes" or "no".
If "NO", it's dead, if "yes" it goes to the senate for basically the same proceedure.

OC for ME

LMTD,

Wrong, I am no agent provocateur. I am the same OC For ME that frequented the MoCarry site until I got a good dose of CCW is the end all and be all from a senior member.

HB1369 is what it is and it seems to be gaining some ground here on OCDO as the acceptable alternative even before anyone knows which way the wind is blowing for either bill. This is understandable given what little some of us know other than what has been posted here. But, the focus must be on 'our' bill, SB680 and not HB1369.

If my bad mouthing HB1369 upsets some folks, tough, that bill is not preemption and will have little real impact in Missouri in my view (I've explained this elsewhere). Make no mistake, I'll take it if that is all we get.

mspgunner

LMTD,

Wrong, I am no agent provocateur. I am the same OC For ME that frequented the MoCarry site until I got a good dose of CCW is the end all and be all from a senior member.

HB1369 is what it is and it seems to be gaining some ground here on OCDO as the acceptable alternative even before anyone knows which way the wind is blowing for either bill. This is understandable given what little some of us know other than what has been posted here. But, the focus must be on 'our' bill, SB680 and not HB1369.

If my bad mouthing HB1369 upsets some folks, tough, that bill is not preemption and will have little real impact in Missouri in my view (I've explained this elsewhere). Make no mistake, I'll take it if that is all we get.

Ok, you are "Happy' with the status quo or we get pre-emption or constutionall carry? Sorry we are not in wonderland, we are in Missouri.
It took 6 years to get CCW. Some of us don't want to slug it out for 6 years and some of us have worked and are still working vary hard every day to get what progress we can on OC.
So far we have nothing different, we are stilll working till the fat lady sings.

You can post anything here you like, want to make a"real" difference? Learn how to play with the big boys, the ones who have the 'POWER". It takes a bit of commitment to make things shake in Jeff City, not just posts on a web site!
I'm not here to tell you how!

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Support both, but support SB680 first and foremost. HB1369 is a 'hold your nose' bill in my view. A back-up plan, a 'well it's better than nothing' bill.

I don't get how HB1369 is a backup plan. How does it do anything except benefit those with a CCW? From my vantage point, it can only hurt those who OC (without a CCW).

lancers

I don't get how HB1369 is a backup plan. How does it do anything except benefit those with a CCW? From my vantage point, it can only hurt those who OC (without a CCW).

It doesn't necessarily benefit anyone without a CCW, but it doesn't hurt them. It doesn't say, you can ONLY open carry if you have a CCW. I'd actually like to see both pass. Sure, we can take away those few words that allow cities to ban open carry, but will that have any effect? It won't make the laws on the books in those cities magically disappear. Don't believe it? There are still lots of cities who's ordinance say carrying a concealed weapon illegal (nothing about a CCW permit). Yeah, most cops know those laws are obsolete, but only because CCW was such a huge issue in this state and they have had a lot of direction/training about it. Would it be the same with open carry? I doubt it.

At least with 1369, it gives some people (CCW holders) something to hold in hand to give the cops when they decide to stop us.

RPGamingGirl

It doesn't necessarily benefit anyone without a CCW, but it doesn't hurt them. It doesn't say, you can ONLY open carry if you have a CCW.

I disagree; i think it has a huge potential to hurt people that are open-carrying without a CCW. It gives communities that otherwise would allow open carry without a permit a convenient excuse to say "If the people want it bad enough, they'll pay up and get licensed." And why wouldn't the state and counties encourage the extra revenue?

Rights are rarely taken away blatantly in this country. It's usually something that looks harmless, or a nice "backup plan" to what the people really want. Remember poll taxes? It was a fee required to exercise a citizen's right to vote. CCW permits are the same thing. It's payment for something that should be a right, but many of us happily accept it, because it's better than being denied the right to carry altogether. Well guess what? For the poor, it's a denial of our 2nd Amendment right. Not all of us can afford to have one. And when some of us are denied, then it's no longer a right. It's a violation of the Constitution as it was intended.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I disagree; i think it has a huge potential to hurt people that are open-carrying without a CCW. It gives communities that otherwise would allow open carry without a permit a convenient excuse to say "If the people want it bad enough, they'll pay up and get licensed." And why wouldn't the state and counties encourage the extra revenue?

Rights are rarely taken away blatantly in this country. It's usually something that looks harmless, or a nice "backup plan" to what the people really want. Remember poll taxes? It was a fee required to exercise a citizen's right to vote. CCW permits are the same thing. It's payment for something that should be a right, but many of us happily accept it, because it's better than being denied the right to carry altogether. Well guess what? For the poor, it's a denial of our 2nd Amendment right. Not all of us can afford to have one. And when some of us are denied, then it's no longer a right. It's a violation of the Constitution as it was intended.

1. HB1369 is NOT a back up plan, it is not now, it never was, the bills are not related other than both being OC, the conspiracy is dead. The group that forwarded 680 had nothing to do with or any knowledge of 1369 until it was entered onto the house webspace. It would be appreciated if everyone would quit propagating such false information.

2. There is no "additional revenue" for CCW so to speak. The counties are required by law to charge only their real cost to process and are limited to the maximum. It is similar for ID cards, none of it is an economic boon and the only ones making any "profit" would be private CCW instructors contracting to certify folks.

3. Poll taxes were by design to prevent minorities from voting. While not as true today, back in the poll tax days, black people were indeed poor as it was actually legal not to offer them a job based on color and a lot of white owned companies made that choice. Poll taxes were not really targeting the poor in so much as they were targeting black people. Gun laws in their root share that same issue. The CCW law does not have that issue and by design is a SHALL issue specifically to prevent "protected classes" and beyond having to apply in person, one would not know the race of an applicant.

RPGamingGirl

1. HB1369 is NOT a back up plan, it is not now, it never was, the bills are not related other than both being OC, the conspiracy is dead. The group that forwarded 680 had nothing to do with or any knowledge of 1369 until it was entered onto the house webspace. It would be appreciated if everyone would quit propagating such false information.

A LOT of people who wouldn't otherwise support this are because they think it IS a good backup plan. By their own words. Just because that isn't the intention doesn't mean that's not how it's being received.

2. There is no "additional revenue" for CCW so to speak. The counties are required by law to charge only their real cost to process and are limited to the maximum. It is similar for ID cards, none of it is an economic boon and the only ones making any "profit" would be private CCW instructors contracting to certify folks.

It's my understanding that there are several optional fees in the filing process, but as i don't have one, i can't list examples from experience. However, even if the profits are limited to instructors, that's still tax revenue by virtue of keeping the people in business. You can't say there's no money being made at all. How else would independent license offices function?

3. Poll taxes were by design to prevent minorities from voting. While not as true today, back in the poll tax days, black people were indeed poor as it was actually legal not to offer them a job based on color and a lot of white owned companies made that choice. Poll taxes were not really targeting the poor in so much as they were targeting black people. Gun laws in their root share that same issue. The CCW law does not have that issue and by design is a SHALL issue specifically to prevent "protected classes" and beyond having to apply in person, one would not know the race of an applicant.

I know the history, and it's not just about race (though that may have been where it started), it IS about class. But beyond that, i'll just have to agree to disagree with you. There are more costs involved than just the CCW class and the physical card.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
1....A LOT of people who wouldn't otherwise support this are because they think it IS a good backup plan. By their own words. Just because that isn't the intention doesn't mean that's not how it's being received.

2.....It's my understanding that there are several optional fees in the filing process, but as i don't have one, i can't list examples from experience. However, even if the profits are limited to instructors, that's still tax revenue by virtue of keeping the people in business. You can't say there's no money being made at all. How else would independent license offices function?

3....I know the history, and it's not just about race (though that may have been where it started), it IS about class. But beyond that, i'll just have to agree to disagree with you. There are more costs involved than just the CCW class and the physical card.

Numbers added for clarification only.

1. How anything is received remains the responsibility of the receptor and while it may be received wrong, that does not indicate a need to continue propagating false information, by doing so one is assisting in generating a false goal. Since there remains a lot of confusion surrounding it, here is exactly what was forwarded to the Senate, I am leaving out only the part that is indeed the text of the bill as that is exactly what the rest of the word document contains.

"This bill eliminates geographic regulation of firearms within the state and brings all areas of the state into uniform compliance. It eliminates the confusion surrounding changing regulations as citizens and visitors travel across our state through various municipalities, many without published or updated ordinances regulating firearms. By bringing uniformity to the firearms laws, what is unrestricted on one side of the street remains unrestricted on the other side of the street. This uniformity also eliminates the confusion that can be caused by regulations changing not only by geographic boundaries but timing of changes as well, what was unregulated last week remains unregulated the next unless voted upon by the state legislature.

This bill prohibits political subdivisions from restricting the open carrying of firearms and requires all political subdivisions to incorporate the justifiable use of force defenses from Chapter 563, RSMo, into any local ordinance regarding weapon offenses or the discharge of firearms within a jurisdiction."

No other bills were discussed, no other bills were considered and that is EXACTLY what the folks working for OC in MO sent up, no back up plans, no alternate ideas, simple deletion of the part of 21.750 that allows restrictions and incorporation of castle law where they can restrict discharge.

2. Your understanding of there being additional "several optional fees" is quite misguided, I would suggest you read the laws as it is quite clear and defined.

3. I am not sure it is about class. In the most expensive of situations it would be about 300 bucks to get the CCW, it can be done for Much much less. I do not believe 300 is to create "class carry" but is to cover the actual cost involved in doing it. Someone has to pay for it and if you knew the history on it then you would know that the sheriff's tried to use the Handcock amendment to claim it was an unfunded mandate to try and stop it even after it passed. If you want to see free CCW in MO, by all means, but know before you start, there is HUGE resistance to it, all the way to MO supreme court. Your and my support for such a thing does not automatically lend itself to it happening.

Redbaron007

Interesting that the House Bill has gotten traction and the Senate Bill has sort of slid off the tracks. My preferred bill is SB680; however, I will take what I can get, since the ultimate prize is pre-emptive and the only way to it is around the block, I'll take HB1369.

I do have a question and it may be very obvious and I'm just having a brain cramp; but how does HB1369 effect long guns, i.e. hunting, hiking etc?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting that the House Bill has gotten traction and the Senate Bill has sort of slid off the tracks. My preferred bill is SB680; however, I will take what I can get, since the ultimate prize is pre-emptive and the only way to it is around the block, I'll take HB1369.

I do have a question and it may be very obvious and I'm just having a brain cramp; but how does HB1369 effect long guns, i.e. hunting, hiking etc?

Well we are not on the same page as far as traction goes IMHO. Yes 1369 has moved in the house, but it has to get to the Senate and do the same before it will happen. The only good thing is it has moved early, now if it just does not stall, we might see something come of it.

We need to see a sister to 680 in the house as well, same issues and while a lot of request have been made, it is not yet happening.

Either need the other so to speak. More legislators have taken a pro view on 1369, but session is a long way from over and it is way early on either to know what all is yet to happen, that is why the oc'ers need to support BOTH IMHO.

You will find absolutely no objection what so ever from me or any others if you or anyone else writes their house rep and asked them to enter a bill identical to SB680! Anyone who gets it done will indeed have my kudos and thanks, we REALLY want a joint bill on it, this year, next and however long it takes to get it through to restore the freedom of choice for firearms owners.

Now onto your question about long arms, it has no real impact on them at all. Long arms may be openly carried in areas where legal as it is now and they may not be openly carried where it is illegal now. I suppose if 1369 were to pass, one could carry a long arm with a ccw but it would be an unpopular choice as most of the areas where it is restricted are fairly populated and it would not be a wise self defense choice. While it most certainly is a self defense choice, long arms are distance arms and are considered by the majority to be hunting related or target related firearms. Of the areas that restrict OC, you will likely find nearly if not all regulate the discharge as well so hunting in those areas is not allowed. Not that I personally agree, a straw poll of the general public would if shown a photo of a long gun pick "hunting" over "self defense" at a higher rate.

The open carry of long guns for purposes other than hunting brings unwanted negative press and fuels the anti-establishment far more than I like to see them fueled. I would never tell a man or woman they COULDN'T but I have no problem voicing my opinion that they SHOULDN'T.