• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toledo open carry

Ezerharden

Looked for info here but could not find it. I live in MI about 5 miles from the border and I frequent Toledo quite a bit. I have not OC'd there yet due to many horror stories I have heard and one incident from a CC down there (old vehicle CC rules). Can anyone give me the lay of the land as it were?

Ezerharden

I was looking for info on how much harassment to expect down there from police and non posted stores.

whitewolf68

Toledo is not nearly as bad a Cleveland per se with no carry zones but I really do not OC that much as to avoid the hassles. I can tell you that I have some members of my forum and here that have with out problems. I tend to try and stay off the radar because of my wife's court related job and my looking for one.

I do firmly believe that if your now flaunting it you can stay of the grid. Hopefully the members here can provide more information for you.

www.ohgunowners.net

Ezerharden

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just stay with going to Monroe for my stuff. Never did like the whole "magic sign" mentality of Ohio anyway. Never know if you are going to have to go back and put your gun in your car because of one of those signs. (Of course the criminals will do the same I am sure, just like at Barny's on Alexis a few years back)

Last edited:

whitewolf68

Never did like the whole "magic sign" mentality of Ohio anyway. Never know if you are going to have to go back and put your gun in your car because of one of those signs. (Of course the criminals will do the same I am sure, just like at Barny's on Alexis a few years back)

I could not agree more. Those signs are few and far between as far as I've seen but many of them are not properly displayed at the entrance. Once you see it though you know your in the wrong if you enter carrying.

ghost913

i live in toledo also and so far ive oc'd two or three times at walmart and nobody really cared. im still a little grey about the oc in a vehicle

whitewolf68

i live in toledo also and so far ive oc'd two or three times at walmart and nobody really cared. im still a little grey about the oc in a vehicle

Which Walmart have you OC'd in? I shop the Central Ave Walmart but have always been reluctant to OC there because of issues I've heard before in another forum.

Yiteurp

i live in Toledo.. have never OC'd was thinking of doing so due to all the crap going on lately.. not wanting any problems though

MyWifeSaidYes

i live in Toledo.. have never OC'd was thinking of doing so due to all the crap going on lately.. not wanting any problems though

I hope you have spent some time reading some of the posts here on OCDO. You may also want to do some reading at codes.ohio.gov under ORC 2923. Thats where you will find most all of the gun laws here in Ohio.

If you really don't want any problems, stay home. If you want to face reality, when you carry your handgun, carry a voice recorder (I prefer electronic over tape). Know how to use them both. Your voice recorder should be running whenever you are where you may interact with other people.

If you are really uncomfortable open carrying, don't do it. If you must, take a friend along with a video camera the first few times. Same rule as the voice recorder - always running. Review the video afterwards and look for expressions on passers-by. Hopefully it will be a very boring video.

If you are stopped by a LEO, you should already know what you have to say and do. If you don't, don't go.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
^^^
What happened?
During a Tax Day Tea Party rally on Fountain Square an officer informed the four of us that, just like in city parks, the city could restrict things on the square - like skateboards and firearms. I believe he may have mentioned something about charges, but I'm not sure. Another officer was at his side when he spoke to us.

I informed him that I had the head of training's (Capt. Wiesman) cell phone number, and that I had recently talked to the city prosecutor about gun laws. I also mentioned the Cleveland case. Color of Law told him about his recent interaction with the chief. I told the officer that he needed to check out ORC 9.68. A couple of officers were keeping their distance, but were watching the interaction.

They said they would check with the Lt., then went away. Later the first officer came back alone. This time three officers were watching from 20 feet away or so. CoL and another friend helped the officer find 9.68, he was satisfied, and he said that he would tell the guy who complained (who I believe was with the group that runs the square) that we were in the right.

We shook hands and he left. A GOOD interaction, and I have no complaints about the officer - as a matter of fact, I compliment him - but I don't have his name handy.

The city has never removed their signage on the square about disallowing firearms/weapons, but be assured that will be part of my letter/record request to the city prosecutor. See the Cincinnati thread for more details.

P.S. - a few people gave us the thumbs-up for OCing, and some asked questions. A good OC day!

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

:banana:

I believe this is the most important part of what you said:

... he said that he would tell the guy who complained...

We're getting the word out to law enforcement. They need to get the word out to MWAG callers.

"Thanks for the call but, if it's in a holster, it's not a crime."

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
:banana:

I believe this is the most important part of what you said:

We're getting the word out to law enforcement. They need to get the word out to MWAG callers.

"Thanks for the call but, if it's in a holster, it's not a crime."
I must disagree. If the person is not waving it around, in effect, appears to be minding their own business and not bothering anybody then it's not a crime.....

Sheeple to dispatch: Like there are three guys with tattoos sitting at a McDs eating burgers and fries and they all have evil guns stuck in their belts, I'm scared.

Dispatch to sheeple: Are they drinking cokes or ice tea with their burgers?

Sheeple to dispatch: Coke....

Dispatch to sheeple: God have mercy - would you like us to send the health department goons?

Sheeple to dispatch: What about the guns?????

Dispatch to sheeple: The guns are OK. It's the sugar intake in front of children I'm concerned about.

Last edited: