Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone breaking into your home? make sure its not your live-in boyfriend...

Someone breaking into your home? make sure its not your live-in boyfriend...

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/u...yssey=obinsite

FLINT, Mich. (WTW) A 32-year-old Genesee County man is dead after his girlfriend believed he was an intruder to their Flint home and shot him in the neck.The Flint Journal reports (http://bit.ly/zb1JiV ) that Dustin Newton was shot about 8 a.m. Tuesday. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.Police say Newton was returning home Tuesday morning from his job at a local soda company when he was shot.His girlfriend hasn't been charged. The Genesee County prosecutor will review the case.___
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Could be an excuse for cold-blooded murder. "It was an accident!"
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Could be an excuse for cold-blooded murder. "It was an accident!"

First thing that popped into my head.... he was coming home from work, and likely 'expected' home.... just another reason that you don't shoot without IDing target.

In other news, I just found out that safariland has ALS holsters for my pistol with its light... I"m a happy guy!!!! (apparently they retain without the light as well... )
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Banned
    I hope she's ok.

You want a light? Why? They know exactly where to aim, and they can see your direction of approach before you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I hope she's ok.

You want a light? Why? They know exactly where to aim, and they can see your direction of approach before you find them.
    Don't put it on your gun, for one. IMHO, weapon mounted lights cause you to a) point your muzzel at things before they are identified friend or foe, 2) are typically close to your body, providing direction for incoming fire and 3) are not easy to cycle on and off.

You don't want your light on all the time; find your target, light it up to identify; if foe, hit them in the eyes, and shut it off. You will have the adavntage of still having your night vision, foe will be blinded. Major tactical advantage.

Old cop trick- hold it weak side at arms reach. Incoming fire will tend toward the light.

Don't even get me started on green lasers....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Major tactical advantage.
    want a tactical advantage? Conceal your gun *ducks*
    Last edited by TheQ; 01-26-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Sounds weird, and how about calling out who are you? Seems that would alert the boyfriend to yell back it's me honey or something...

15 minutes ago, I just got delivery on my new Safariland Legdrop Holster that holds my Glock 21SF and the Streamlight TLR-1s tactical light.

A good place to shop Holsters is http://www.opticsplanet.com/ They have great prices and a decent selection of Galco, Blackhawk, Safariland and much more, I also got a decent price on the streamlight TLR-1s and love the light.

I will wear the leg drop holster snowmobiling because it's way to hard to get at the gun under all the heavy clothing.

Now all I need is real snow.

QUOTE=HKcarrier;1689969]First thing that popped into my head.... he was coming home from work, and likely 'expected' home.... just another reason that you don't shoot without IDing target.

In other news, I just found out that safariland has ALS holsters for my pistol with its light... I"m a happy guy!!!! (apparently they retain without the light as well... )[/QUOTE]

I have motion activates lights everywhere and cameras so I can see who comes and leaves. Even at the front and back doors to activate when the door opens and someone hits the threshold. They are dirt cheap and properly installed and aimed gives me the tactical edge. of course 2 pit Bulls running at the door also creates a distraction for whomever enters.

I also added a number of those motion activated L.E.D. night lights as it gives me a indication where they are ion the house by the lighting of these when someone moves from room to room. Less than $200.00 in total and I can tell exactly where someone is in my home if they show up without a signed invitation from me lol.

Don't put it on your gun, for one. IMHO, weapon mounted lights cause you to a) point your muzzel at things before they are identified friend or foe, 2) are typically close to your body, providing direction for incoming fire and 3) are not easy to cycle on and off.

You don't want your light on all the time; find your target, light it up to identify; if foe, hit them in the eyes, and shut it off. You will have the adavntage of still having your night vision, foe will be blinded. Major tactical advantage.

Old cop trick- hold it weak side at arms reach. Incoming fire will tend toward the light.

When my wife comes home I yell out "hello, dear" (as I grip my gun). She replies hello and I take my hand off of the gun.

Banned
    Dont use a super duper bright light, the flash blindness actually hurts more than it helps. You are far better off with a dim light than a bright one. A red filter works best.

Element of surprise > *.

I never show up at my mom's house unexpected. One time I figured I'd come home and surprise everyone......yeah. As I was putting my key in the door my step dad quickly opened the door and darn near shoved me down the steps. But stopped himself when he realized it was me.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I hope she's ok.

Any good light has a toggle switch... you don't leave it on and go searching around you tard... it's a quick flash to ID target... doesn't even need to be on after that....

I think you're way off on this... first off, you don't want to draw ANY fire... that sounds completely retarded. MAybe you could lay it down or something as a trick...

Second, you donn't have to muzzle the target to illuminate it... the flood of light from a bright weapon light is plenty.... it does not have to be pointed DIRECTLY at them.

Third, they are EXTREMELY easy (my TLR1) to cycle on and off. THere is a constant on switch and a toggle on/off... VERY easy for quick blips of light.

Fourth, they have another advantage of your shots hitting where the light is focused... somewhat like a laser...

Fifth, you will always have one if you have the other... no fiddling thru pockets to get gun and light...etc....

I can understand there would be situations where it would be better to have a seperate tac light.... but the real importance is to have SOME light because you need to ID your target.

Banned
    I believe that we have laws to punish criminals, to establish order, and to prevent crimes. Not to create criminals.

i think a light is good for in the home, especially a strobe on something 100+ lumens, if you've ever had a bright light on strobe put on you when you were in the dark...you know why, you lose sense of direction, get a headache and put your hands up because your worried about blindness, but the blindness only lasts a few minutes...also think it should only be turned on when you need to identify someone/thing
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

I believe that we have laws to punish criminals, to establish order, and to prevent crimes. Not to create criminals.

Post in wrong thread or did you want to just drop some random knowledge on us?
    Last edited by HKcarrier; 01-27-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Any good light has a toggle switch... you don't leave it on and go searching around you tard... it's a quick flash to ID target... doesn't even need to be on after that....

I think you're way off on this... first off, you don't want to draw ANY fire... that sounds completely retarded. MAybe you could lay it down or something as a trick...

Second, you donn't have to muzzle the target to illuminate it... the flood of light from a bright weapon light is plenty.... it does not have to be pointed DIRECTLY at them.

Third, they are EXTREMELY easy (my TLR1) to cycle on and off. THere is a constant on switch and a toggle on/off... VERY easy for quick blips of light.

Fourth, they have another advantage of your shots hitting where the light is focused... somewhat like a laser...

Fifth, you will always have one if you have the other... no fiddling thru pockets to get gun and light...etc....

I can understand there would be situations where it would be better to have a seperate tac light.... but the real importance is to have SOME light because you need to ID your target.
    Most people don't have the desire, time or money to invest in the level of training necessary to use a weapon mounted light properly. Of course, the same could be said of weapons, period....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Banned
    I posted what I wanted to say, where I wanted to say it.

Welcome back Pat.

Just thinking that would be a switch...OC while out and about and cc at home
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoogeBob View Post
    Nope just your typical brainless1911 nonsensical ramblings.
    Reported: Rule #6 violation
    (6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    Thanks. I reported it too.

When pat came back, I thought maybe he would play it straight. I gave him a clean slate as though he had done nothing wrong. Lessons learned.

Thanks. I reported it too.

When pat came back, I thought maybe he would play it straight. I gave him a clean slate as though he had done nothing wrong. Lessons learned.
    I really don't care if it is Pat or not. I just wish they would follow the rules. If it is Pat let me just say that I liked many of his early posts and thought he contributed to the discussions at hand... then later his good points were often overshadowed by his personal feelings regarding members. I can't say I disagreed with him entirely at times. But, all if us have done stupid things in our lives. I tend to suscribe to the "more flies with honey" philosophy. I just wish, if it is him, that he'd go back to his original demeanor and contribute to the discussion at hand. Disagreement is not a problem, in fact I like it. Personal attacks, however, tend to turn good discussions into emotional diatribes.

Banned
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    If it is Pat let me just say that I liked many of his early posts and thought he contributed to the discussions at hand... then later his good points were often overshadowed by his personal feelings regarding members.
    I couldn't agree more.

While this might not help at o'dark30 in the middle of an alley or dark street spreading lots, and I mean lots, of ordinary little night lights all through the house gives enough light to allow identifying an intruder in our house in the middle of the night.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast