• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Someone breaking into your home? make sure its not your live-in boyfriend...

lil_freak_66

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/usatoday/article/38417047?odyssey=obinsite

FLINT, Mich. (WTW) — A 32-year-old Genesee County man is dead after his girlfriend believed he was an intruder to their Flint home and shot him in the neck.The Flint Journal reports (http://bit.ly/zb1JiV ) that Dustin Newton was shot about 8 a.m. Tuesday. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.Police say Newton was returning home Tuesday morning from his job at a local soda company when he was shot.His girlfriend hasn't been charged. The Genesee County prosecutor will review the case.___

HKcarrier

Could be an excuse for cold-blooded murder. "It was an accident!"

First thing that popped into my head.... he was coming home from work, and likely 'expected' home.... just another reason that you don't shoot without IDing target.

In other news, I just found out that safariland has ALS holsters for my pistol with its light... I"m a happy guy!!!! (apparently they retain without the light as well... )

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I hope she's ok.

You want a light? Why? They know exactly where to aim, and they can see your direction of approach before you find them.

Don't put it on your gun, for one. IMHO, weapon mounted lights cause you to a) point your muzzel at things before they are identified friend or foe, 2) are typically close to your body, providing direction for incoming fire and 3) are not easy to cycle on and off.

You don't want your light on all the time; find your target, light it up to identify; if foe, hit them in the eyes, and shut it off. You will have the adavntage of still having your night vision, foe will be blinded. Major tactical advantage.

Old cop trick- hold it weak side at arms reach. Incoming fire will tend toward the light.

Don't even get me started on green lasers....

alphamale

Sounds weird, and how about calling out who are you? Seems that would alert the boyfriend to yell back it's me honey or something...

15 minutes ago, I just got delivery on my new Safariland Legdrop Holster that holds my Glock 21SF and the Streamlight TLR-1s tactical light.

A good place to shop Holsters is http://www.opticsplanet.com/ They have great prices and a decent selection of Galco, Blackhawk, Safariland and much more, I also got a decent price on the streamlight TLR-1s and love the light.

I will wear the leg drop holster snowmobiling because it's way to hard to get at the gun under all the heavy clothing.

Now all I need is real snow.

QUOTE=HKcarrier;1689969]First thing that popped into my head.... he was coming home from work, and likely 'expected' home.... just another reason that you don't shoot without IDing target.

In other news, I just found out that safariland has ALS holsters for my pistol with its light... I"m a happy guy!!!! (apparently they retain without the light as well... )[/QUOTE]

alphamale

I have motion activates lights everywhere and cameras so I can see who comes and leaves. Even at the front and back doors to activate when the door opens and someone hits the threshold. They are dirt cheap and properly installed and aimed gives me the tactical edge. of course 2 pit Bulls running at the door also creates a distraction for whomever enters.

I also added a number of those motion activated L.E.D. night lights as it gives me a indication where they are ion the house by the lighting of these when someone moves from room to room. Less than $200.00 in total and I can tell exactly where someone is in my home if they show up without a signed invitation from me lol.

Don't put it on your gun, for one. IMHO, weapon mounted lights cause you to a) point your muzzel at things before they are identified friend or foe, 2) are typically close to your body, providing direction for incoming fire and 3) are not easy to cycle on and off.

You don't want your light on all the time; find your target, light it up to identify; if foe, hit them in the eyes, and shut it off. You will have the adavntage of still having your night vision, foe will be blinded. Major tactical advantage.

Old cop trick- hold it weak side at arms reach. Incoming fire will tend toward the light.

TheQ

When my wife comes home I yell out "hello, dear" (as I grip my gun). She replies hello and I take my hand off of the gun.

xmanhockey7

I never show up at my mom's house unexpected. One time I figured I'd come home and surprise everyone......yeah. As I was putting my key in the door my step dad quickly opened the door and darn near shoved me down the steps. But stopped himself when he realized it was me.

HKcarrier

I hope she's ok.

You want a light? Why? They know exactly where to aim, and they can see your direction of approach before you find them.

Any good light has a toggle switch... you don't leave it on and go searching around you tard... it's a quick flash to ID target... doesn't even need to be on after that....

I think you're way off on this... first off, you don't want to draw ANY fire... that sounds completely retarded. MAybe you could lay it down or something as a trick...

Second, you donn't have to muzzle the target to illuminate it... the flood of light from a bright weapon light is plenty.... it does not have to be pointed DIRECTLY at them.

Third, they are EXTREMELY easy (my TLR1) to cycle on and off. THere is a constant on switch and a toggle on/off... VERY easy for quick blips of light.

Fourth, they have another advantage of your shots hitting where the light is focused... somewhat like a laser...

Fifth, you will always have one if you have the other... no fiddling thru pockets to get gun and light...etc....

I can understand there would be situations where it would be better to have a seperate tac light.... but the real importance is to have SOME light because you need to ID your target.

lil_freak_66

i think a light is good for in the home, especially a strobe on something 100+ lumens, if you've ever had a bright light on strobe put on you when you were in the dark...you know why, you lose sense of direction, get a headache and put your hands up because your worried about blindness, but the blindness only lasts a few minutes...also think it should only be turned on when you need to identify someone/thing

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Any good light has a toggle switch... you don't leave it on and go searching around you tard... it's a quick flash to ID target... doesn't even need to be on after that....

I think you're way off on this... first off, you don't want to draw ANY fire... that sounds completely retarded. MAybe you could lay it down or something as a trick...

Second, you donn't have to muzzle the target to illuminate it... the flood of light from a bright weapon light is plenty.... it does not have to be pointed DIRECTLY at them.

Third, they are EXTREMELY easy (my TLR1) to cycle on and off. THere is a constant on switch and a toggle on/off... VERY easy for quick blips of light.

Fourth, they have another advantage of your shots hitting where the light is focused... somewhat like a laser...

Fifth, you will always have one if you have the other... no fiddling thru pockets to get gun and light...etc....

I can understand there would be situations where it would be better to have a seperate tac light.... but the real importance is to have SOME light because you need to ID your target.

Most people don't have the desire, time or money to invest in the level of training necessary to use a weapon mounted light properly. Of course, the same could be said of weapons, period....