Thread: Gun vault brand safes

Gun vault brand safes

My local Costco has a vender from gun vault selling gun vaults products through the weekend. I have been pricing their products over the last few months and know what a good price is for one. I could not pass on the deal and picked up a multi vault. I thought it would be the perfect size for my night stand next to my bed. I have never used any of their products and wanted to know what everyone thought of them.

After playing with it for a few days I am not sure what my feelings are towards it. I am still a little uneasy replying on technology and batteries to quickly gain access to my means of self defense. If the batteries go dead it would really make a mess out of things unless I already had the key in my hand, not ideal for a midnight break in situation. I am also not sure how pry resistant the door is, there is enough of a lip to get a small pry bar behind and the small latch holding it shut does not look overly reinforced.

I have only had it for a few days and still forming a opinionthat's just thought I could get some advice on their reliability
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

I purchased one a few months back and I'm satisfied. Mine came with the power adapter, so the batteries are for backup purposes only. That being said, there was an issue with them a little while back, and it wasn't enough to call for a recall. You could slam your fist into the middle of the front of the door and it would jarr the locking mechanism in a way that would cause it to open. Thankfully mine was fully functional, if it wasn't I'd worry about my 5 year old Hudini son finding the defect and getting into it. Check for that issue and if it passes the "fist" test, you should be alright if you purchase/use the power adapter...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

Thanks for the heads up on the multi vault. I gave it a good fist slam and checked the door it was just fine. My model does not have the option of a DC adapter
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Gun Vault

I do not have any young kids. My Gun Vault is bolted to the bed frame. I leave it open when i am at home and lock it when I am not home.

Why would you buy from an anti protection company? Buy from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, etc.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Replied in your other thread, but here's the TL;DR just in case - have one, very happy with all aspects of it. =)
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

Have a look at the video linked in this thread. (Yes, it's 38 minutes & no, it's not safe for children to listen to. He needs a better vocabulary.)

He demonstrates how un-safe many locks on safes are, esp. the small portable lock box type (which, yes, I have in my car & am now thinking about having the lock replaced).

Basically, if it's a straight key (wafer lock) or a round key (cylinder lock) it's not very secure. I was shocked at how easy it was to open them.
    Even some of the electronic fingerprint reader ones can be opened with only a paper clip if you know what you're doing.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 01-31-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I have a gun vault and have been very happy with it. Its bolted to the bed frame. At night, it stays open, closed during the day. I don't have small kids in the house. Since its already open at night, I only have to reach in and grab it and don't have to worry about fumbling with a combination or biometric lock. I replace the batteries every year, and have never had battery issues. Is it going to be impervious to a determined burglar? Nope, nothing is. But it might slow them down a bit. I'm happy with it.