• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun vault brand safes

fire suppressor

My local Costco has a vender from gun vault selling gun vaults products through the weekend. I have been pricing their products over the last few months and know what a good price is for one. I could not pass on the deal and picked up a multi vault. I thought it would be the perfect size for my night stand next to my bed. I have never used any of their products and wanted to know what everyone thought of them.

After playing with it for a few days I am not sure what my feelings are towards it. I am still a little uneasy replying on technology and batteries to quickly gain access to my means of self defense. If the batteries go dead it would really make a mess out of things unless I already had the key in my hand, not ideal for a midnight break in situation. I am also not sure how pry resistant the door is, there is enough of a lip to get a small pry bar behind and the small latch holding it shut does not look overly reinforced.

I have only had it for a few days and still forming a opinionthat's just thought I could get some advice on their reliability

J_Oliver

I purchased one a few months back and I'm satisfied. Mine came with the power adapter, so the batteries are for backup purposes only. That being said, there was an issue with them a little while back, and it wasn't enough to call for a recall. You could slam your fist into the middle of the front of the door and it would jarr the locking mechanism in a way that would cause it to open. Thankfully mine was fully functional, if it wasn't I'd worry about my 5 year old Hudini son finding the defect and getting into it. Check for that issue and if it passes the "fist" test, you should be alright if you purchase/use the power adapter...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

fire suppressor

Thanks for the heads up on the multi vault. I gave it a good fist slam and checked the door it was just fine. My model does not have the option of a DC adapter

RedRuger

Gun Vault

I do not have any young kids. My Gun Vault is bolted to the bed frame. I leave it open when i am at home and lock it when I am not home.

protias

Why would you buy from an anti protection company? Buy from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, etc.

GuidoZ

Replied in your other thread, but here's the TL;DR just in case - have one, very happy with all aspects of it. =)

MKEgal

Have a look at the video linked in this thread. (Yes, it's 38 minutes & no, it's not safe for children to listen to. He needs a better vocabulary.)

He demonstrates how un-safe many locks on safes are, esp. the small portable lock box type (which, yes, I have in my car & am now thinking about having the lock replaced).

Basically, if it's a straight key (wafer lock) or a round key (cylinder lock) it's not very secure. I was shocked at how easy it was to open them.
Even some of the electronic fingerprint reader ones can be opened with only a paper clip if you know what you're doing.
:shocker:

Last edited:

markand

I have a gun vault and have been very happy with it. Its bolted to the bed frame. At night, it stays open, closed during the day. I don't have small kids in the house. Since its already open at night, I only have to reach in and grab it and don't have to worry about fumbling with a combination or biometric lock. I replace the batteries every year, and have never had battery issues. Is it going to be impervious to a determined burglar? Nope, nothing is. But it might slow them down a bit. I'm happy with it.