• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The charges have been dropped!

Reverend BCal

My attorney just informed me that after filing the appeal for my bogus HyVee/OC related charges he had a lengthy conversation with the prosecuting attorney. The prosecutor apparantly spoke with HyVee corporate/store manager and they decided that they don't want to "exclude anyone from shopping in the store." As well, the prosecutor decided that the events leading up to the disorderly charges were unclear enough that she does not want to pursue the issue further. Translation: I was right, they know they were wrong and they don't want to drag this out because I ponied up for an attorney. This type of justice sickens and infuriates me, but I'm so happy that this issue has been resolved! Freedom costs a little more than a buck 'o nine :) Thank you for the support and the suggestions! Couldn't have done it without you all!!! Carry on!

Polynikes

Might I suggest that you and your attorney...uh...educate them through legal avenues in order ensure their actions are not repeated with any other individuals.

Dropped charges means they are likely running scared and hoping the whole thing just goes away.

Reverend BCal

Well, I haven't discussed the particulars with my attorney quite yet, but I have considered following "suit." Heh heh heh. I'll see how he feels about it next time we talk. I'm just excited that this isn't sitting on my shoulders anymore. I'm still worried about asserting my rights in St. Joseph because I'm not sure if this will keep me out of silver bracelets in the future. I can't let this hold me back, though I'm torn about how to approach the situation if it arises again.

Last edited:

OC for ME

It is unlikely that you will receive similar treatment in the future for conducting yourself in a similar, and lawful, manner. They already got 'trained' by the PA concerning you. Other folks? Well, who knows.

I would not wait to long on going forward to gain redress of wrongs perpetrated at the hands of under-trained state agents. Strike while the iron is hot....so to speak. Always use lots of name, the more names listed as defendants the more urgent the training seems to be, and the more puckering of back-sides the local bureaucrats experience when faced with a potential large pay-out at tax payer expense.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I'm just excited that this isn't sitting on my shoulders anymore. I'm still worried about asserting my rights in St. Joseph because I'm not sure if this will keep me out of silver bracelets in the future.

Glad to hear it and it might sound really stupid, but thank you for taking a lump for us, it helps the cause in a real F'ed up way sir.

I am very glad you lawyered up and it was effective.

All things considered, they should take the fine imposed upon you out of the cops and prosecutor's paychecks and put it into an educational fund for your kids. That I wouldconsider a good use of tax dollars.

sawah

THREATEN to sue for various things. Slander, false arrest, sleepless nights, impotency, hair loss?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Very happy to hear that your atty was able to correct this matter for you - well, correct it in so far as removing this mark on your record and perhaps by extension giving a bit of education to the local LEO. Fighting these "minor" encroachments on our rights add up to being a big deal over time. Good job in making the commitment to defending yourself through the legal system.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Glad to hear things worked out in your favor. Thanks for standing up to them rather than taking a plea deal.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Hate how "justice" relies on money in nearly every way. No money, no justice.

Still, glad the charges were dropped and here's to hoping that you sue them for what they did.

G30Mike

Sweet brother! You pursuing this gives me that much more confidence in carrying around town. Like everyone else said, go to the next level with them. The Gestapo sure didn't stop at the first level, why should you? I hope you get a good settlement...use some of the money to buy some .223 and lets go blast some rounds out of the AR at the range in celebration, haha!!!!

lancers

Congratulations! Glad they dropped the charges. It did happen in a VERY unusual way. So they had a conviction and then just decided to vacate that conviction? I would make sure the charges were are dropped in the files. Being someone who has seen several municipalities in Missouri screw up paperwork, I can tell you, it is likely there is paperwork that says you are guilty of this crime and that is it. It may cause you no troubles, but then again it could if you got another charge or even tried to get another job. I would at least go talk to the court clerk and see where her computer says the case stands.

I get delayed every firearm purchase because of the way charges were "dropped" by the grand jury back in 2005 without any real paper trail. Even when I got arrested in Maplewood for the open carry thing, the cops checked to see what exactly the status as of those charges were because the computer records act like they are just still pending from 7 years ago.

If I were you, I would certainly put the chief policy makers of the city (should be the city council there) on notice. I have discussed it before, but it is a necessary requirement to tie liability to the city in a future, similar incident, otherwise they have immunity.

MKEgal

Reverend BCal said:
Well, I haven't discussed the particulars with my attorney quite yet, but I have considered following "suit."
... I'm still worried about asserting my rights in St. Joseph because I'm not sure if this will keep me out of silver bracelets in the future.
So the gov't officials were (at least a little bit) successful in scaring you away from exercising your rights,
& that's a federal crime.

Verd said:
Hate how "justice" relies on money in nearly every way. No money, no justice.
+1
OTOH, often once justice is done (the offending gov't entity gets spanked) the money flows in the correct direction. Still never makes up for whatever they did wrong.

Redbaron007

Congrats Rev!!

Hope you can get enough on the counter suit to help them in the edjucational process; plus some, to put gas in your vehicle and buy some ammo!! :cool:

REALteach4u

My attorney just informed me that after filing the appeal for my bogus HyVee/OC related charges he had a lengthy conversation with the prosecuting attorney. The prosecutor apparantly spoke with HyVee corporate/store manager and they decided that they don't want to "exclude anyone from shopping in the store." As well, the prosecutor decided that the events leading up to the disorderly charges were unclear enough that she does not want to pursue the issue further. Translation: I was right, they know they were wrong and they don't want to drag this out because I ponied up for an attorney. This type of justice sickens and infuriates me, but I'm so happy that this issue has been resolved! Freedom costs a little more than a buck 'o nine :) Thank you for the support and the suggestions! Couldn't have done it without you all!!! Carry on!

If you would be so kind....

Would you post up the official cause for the Disorderly Conduct charge? If there is a particular statute or municipal code they used to hit you with the DC charge, please post that up.

I'm with others on this, especially OC for ME...don't wait. Get a suit filed pronto! If your name made it into the media or on the web in regards to this then the damage is practically irreversible. If you wait they'll sweep it under the rug and it will be business as usual.