• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry.... At church?

natebl4him

Here is the deal. I go to a church that meets at a school(on Sunday only not during the week) I was told it was ok to CCW my firearm but after seeing some cameras on the property and fearing that they will send the Gov. after me I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue or knows the laws...

Thanks!
-Nate

March Hare

Welcome to the forum!

That's a good question.
I would consult with an attorney on this one.

13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03102.htm

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
12. Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds; or

It would be very wise to get a solid legal opinion on this one.

Don't ask your friends, don't ask law enforcement, ask an attorney.

-MH

Sonora Rebel

I don't know where you're from originally... but this is Arizona. The laws are easy enough to find (Google) but there is no 'law' which allows you to do anything... if that's your concern. Laws restrict of deny.

If the premises is not posted 'No Weapons', then it's like anywhere else... cameras of not. The only thing anyone can do is trespass you off the property. That's their right.

If you were already told you can carry your firearm... what are you worried about? You're acting like you're from New Jersey. : (

azcdlfred

It is not addressed in the Weapons Misconduct statutes (ARS 13-3102), and I have run across a some people whose church has asked them to discreetly carry to provide security during services.

However, if your church prohbits firearms, at a minimum you are dealing with trespassing on private property statutes.

Like someone else pointed out, ask an attorney to be sure.

Fred

Notso

Campaign Veteran
I'm with March Hare. If it's at a school(what kind of school is it?), not sure I'd do it without checking with an attorney that knows about these things.

Super Saiyan

Here is the deal. I go to a church that meets at a school(on Sunday only not during the week) I was told it was ok to CCW my firearm but after seeing some cameras on the property and fearing that they will send the Gov. after me I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue or knows the laws...

Thanks!
-Nate

What kind of school is it? K-12? College campus? If it's a K-12, then I would be inclined to believe that ARS 13-3102, A, 12, would apply.
There is of course the belief that what they won't know won't hurt 'em....

ericf

A particular lawyer's or LEO's opinion on this would not necessarily protect you from how things would go down in a jury trial.
There is no weekend/after-hours exception in the statute (as quoted by MH above) so it seems to me the firearm would be prohibited on school grounds.

A different but related question is whether a church with a preschool/kindergarten, or even a kids' religious education classroom, would be considered a school.

Dahwg

A particular lawyer's or LEO's opinion on this would not necessarily protect you from how things would go down in a jury trial.
There is no weekend/after-hours exception in the statute (as quoted by MH above) so it seems to me the firearm would be prohibited on school grounds.

Correct. There are no exceptions a school is a school. My church used to meet at a school - no guns. Now we are an OC friendly church. Helps that the pastor is a member on these forums.

A different but related question is whether a church with a preschool/kindergarten, or even a kids' religious education classroom, would be considered a school.

It woukd be hard to make the case that a church is a school unless the church actually had a charter or private school on premises.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

natebl4him

Thanks everyone! I am from AZ and have carried for the past 7years but wasn't clear on the whole K-12 carry law seeing as my church meets at a K-12 school. I guess from here on out the firearm stays away from the school :/

Dahwg

That is unfortunately the situation, a church with a private preschool/kindergarten in an attached building.

Legal?

INAL but the school is still a school, even when being leased by the church. I would hate to be the test subject that gets popped for carrying at church when church meets at school.

28kfps

What a dilemma. No help for the original poster however, in NV there is some exceptions to the no gun on school grounds. I have attached one. May be such an exception may exist where your church is.

"Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon."

Thanks!
-Nate

Come visit our little church. More than half of the congregation carries...