• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"An armed society is a peacful one."

Daylen

One person does not a society make.

We've changed, as a society, when it comes to firearms. When this country was founded, the head of the household was required, by law, to have a firearm, and a certain amount of ammunition. Over the years we've become a more violent society and it seems related to the amount of gun control, associated with the increase in anti-gun efforts. Which came first?

I think, when we know our neighbor or the person we're shopping next to is openly carrying, or may be concealed carrying, then we will all become more polite.

That was not "the head of every household" it was every male between the ages of 18-45. Well eventually, at first I seem to remember the requirement was for white only, but that might be wrong.

Beretta92FSLady

One person does not a society make.

We've changed, as a society, when it comes to firearms. When this country was founded, the head of the household was required, by law, to have a firearm, and a certain amount of ammunition. Over the years we've become a more violent society and it seems related to the amount of gun control, associated with the increase in anti-gun efforts. Which came first?

I think, when we know our neighbor or the person we're shopping next to is openly carrying, or may be concealed carrying, then we will all become more polite.

Take a gander at the FBI page on crimes in the U.S. Apparently, violent crimes are down, interesting, huh? Another interesting thing is firearms laws across the U.S. have become more liberal, not more restrictive.

I won't become more polite because another person beside me is carrying, I will just become more aware than I already am, of my surroundings. Some might need coercion to be more polite but personally I don't. I am quite friendly, IMO.

Xulld

It is amazing how quickly a bully gets quite when he realizes he has no force advantage. I think anyone with any experience with bullies knows this to be true. This fundamental truth does not mean strap every man women and child with a gun, but it does support the concept.

Daylen

It is amazing how quickly a bully gets quite when he realizes he has no force advantage. I think anyone with any experience with bullies knows this to be true. This fundamental truth does not mean strap every man women and child with a gun, but it does support the concept.

There is more to polite behavior than just not being a bully. There are plenty of rude people who are passive aggressive.

FallonJeeper

That was not "the head of every household" it was every male between the ages of 18-45. Well eventually, at first I seem to remember the requirement was for white only, but that might be wrong.

I believe it was Maryland law in 1638 referenced “every house keeper or housekeepers within this Province". But you are correct, in many states it was required of all males 16 to 60 years of age. And not slaves or servants, or Indians.

FallonJeeper

Take a gander at the FBI page on crimes in the U.S. Apparently, violent crimes are down, interesting, huh? Another interesting thing is firearms laws across the U.S. have become more liberal, not more restrictive.

I won't become more polite because another person beside me is carrying, I will just become more aware than I already am, of my surroundings. Some might need coercion to be more polite but personally I don't. I am quite friendly, IMO.

I tend to be more polite, and people I engage with seem to be more polite. Don't know if that is a reaction to my demeaner or my .40 FNP. ;o)

Xulld

There is more to polite behavior than just not being a bully. There are plenty of rude people who are passive aggressive.

That is definitely true, and I think an excellent point. Rude is the opposite of polite, and if people are just polite becuase they think your going to shoot them then its not really the right mentality anyways.

Me, I try to be polite becuase it makes life more enjoyable for me. I do think that the culture of Sportsman ship that is normally associated with open carry is one that has at its heart a concept of mutual respect, and so that element is also at work with this saying, and again that certainly does not apply to all groups.

Good point.

Stanley

Being rude isn't the opposite of being polite.

Being polite, aka displaying proper etiquette, actually allows one to be rude properly while maintaining politeness should the need arise.

And, as with all things, it is highly subjective. What's polite to you may be impolite to me.

Last edited:

OC for ME

That is definitely true, and I think an excellent point. Rude is the opposite of polite, and if people are just polite becuase they think your going to shoot them then its not really the right mentality anyways.

Me, I try to be polite becuase it makes life more enjoyable for me. I do think that the culture of Sportsman ship that is normally associated with open carry is one that has at its heart a concept of mutual respect, and so that element is also at work with this saying, and again that certainly does not apply to all groups.

Good point.
It may not be the right mentality, but you can't argue the results.

Beretta92FSLady

I believe it was Maryland law in 1638 referenced “every house keeper or housekeepers within this Province". But you are correct, in many states it was required of all males 16 to 60 years of age. And not slaves or servants, or Indians.

What about females?

Basically Caucasian males 16-60; males over 60 were no longer considered males, I suppose.:p

FallonJeeper

What about females?

Basically Caucasian males 16-60; males over 60 were no longer considered males, I suppose.:p

Woman didn't get diddly as far as rights until much later. I'm sorry, I'm old, but I wasn't there when they wrote those laws. I just pointed out that slaves, servants and indians were specifically mentioned in the laws.

Heck, I'm Mohawk, and until about 15 years ago, when the old law was repealed, I wasn't legally allowed to be in Boston. ;o)

Last edited:

Stanley

Heck, I'm Mohawk, and until about 15 years ago, when the old law was repealed, I wasn't legally allowed to be in Boston. ;o)

??? Really??? Damn lol! It's so easy to worry about yourself that you forget about everyone else and what happened with them.