Thread: Gun-toting woman stops suspect in front yard. (FL)

Gun-toting woman stops suspect in front yard. (FL)

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...-in-front-yard

Granville, 64, said she grabbed her pistol and ran outside, and came face to face with a carjacking suspect. She told deputies she said, "Stop right there [expletive], or you're going to be dead where you stand."

Glad she was able to protect bersle and everything turned out okay. I'm not sure about the laws in FL. Could she have gotten in trouble if she had used deadly force to protect property?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Founder's Club Member
    "Gun-toting"?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    "Gun-toting"?
    Like this:

"When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Glad she was able to protect bersle and everything turned out okay. I'm not sure about the laws in FL. Could she have gotten in trouble if she had used deadly force to protect property?
    I don't live in Florida so, not real up on their laws but, http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0776.013.html explains some stand-your-ground laws for Florida.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Like this:
    That picture always cracks me up.

I can see her carry that while driving one of her Range Rovers at Balmoral; but, I'll bet that around Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace, she has a footman carry it for her. It just wouldn't do for her to carry it herself in those settings.

First Footman of the Sig!
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.

This would have been illegal in Florida. You don't have the right to protect your property with deadly force, only the defense of your life.

That being said, if she were IN her car, she absolutely could have shot the sustpect. But she can't leave the safety of her house and engage a suspect stealing her car.

Florida DOES have a law that says you can use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony such as burgulary, but I don't think it would apply to this case as car theft falls under larceny not burgulary.

Also, depending on the D.A. she could have been charged with brandishing even without shooting anyone.
    Yes, I worry that I may be killed by my own gun...

But my attacker will have to use it to beat me to death because it will be out of bullets!

But this wasn't car theft - it was a carjacking (at least, they're calling him a 'carjacking suspect').

Not that she knew what the guy had done, as he was on foot and running at the time she encountered him. Of course, the helicopter and sirens might have been a clue that he hadn't just stolen a packet of gum.

And any DA who charged her with anything other than being a model citizen needs to smacked firmly upside his (or her) head.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post

And any DA who charged her with anything other than being a model citizen needs to smacked firmly upside his (or her) head.
    Agreed. I volunteer to do the smacking, if necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by RRobaldo View Post
    This would have been illegal in Florida. You don't have the right to protect your property with deadly force, only the defense of your life.

That being said, if she were IN her car, she absolutely could have shot the sustpect. But she can't leave the safety of her house and engage a suspect stealing her car.

Florida DOES have a law that says you can use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony such as burgulary, but I don't think it would apply to this case as car theft falls under larceny not burgulary.

Also, depending on the D.A. she could have been charged with brandishing even without shooting anyone.
    She heard someone run by in her yard, went to check it out, came face to face with the baddie and, if it were me, possibly feared for her life and well-being.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. --Douglas Adams

Unless cited, any comments are my personal opinion and may not hold any weight or be correct.