Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Charlottesville Starbucks OC 2-14-2012 6:00 pm

  1. #1
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307

    Charlottesville Starbucks OC 2-14-2012 6:00 pm

    A couple of people have suggested so I am kicking it off with a separate thread. Basically I was trying to decide between two the one on Emmett St or the one on University Ave. I think University Ave would be the best for visibility purposes but parking is a royal pain in the butt. Mods Sticky please
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  2. #2
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    hahaha!
    university ave, right in the heart of the liberal campus corner area!
    you're right about visibility!
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

  3. #3
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    hahaha!
    university ave, right in the heart of the liberal campus corner area!
    you're right about visibility!
    YUP!!!! That was my thinking
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  4. #4
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    i've only been in there in the morning, and that was a while ago.
    how busy is it at 6pm? lots of students or are they all tucked away studying?
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

  5. #5
    Regular Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    186
    A large group of OCs meeting in the hot-button University Ave Starbucks on a pre-stated boycott day...that'll be a ripe climate for an anonymous MWAG call.

    Better have those recorders running.

    And have thought through well advance how you're going to respond with respect to balancing protection of your 2A rights with any specific LEO demands which may not be grounded in law or statute.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

  6. #6
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    A couple of people have suggested so I am kicking it off with a separate thread. Basically I was trying to decide between two the one on Emmett St or the one on University Ave. I think University Ave would be the best for visibility purposes but parking is a royal pain in the butt. Mods Sticky please
    SB corp doesn't wish their stores to be the battleground.
    While, I will visit a SB that day I'm not going to make an issue of it.
    I'll most likely make a late morning visit to the store nearst me.



    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    A large group of OCs meeting in the hot-button University Ave Starbucks on a pre-stated boycott day...that'll be a ripe climate for an anonymous MWAG call.

    Better have those recorders running.

    And have thought through well advance how you're going to respond with respect to balancing protection of your 2A rights with any specific LEO demands which may not be grounded in law or statute.
    How is any of this (other than the Boycott) different from any other day?
    Last edited by Marco; 01-27-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  7. #7
    Regular Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    ...(other than the Boycott) ...
    You got it!

    Of course there's nothing prohibiting an OC get together, NoVA members do so at Starbucks before every VCDL meeting. Just depends on how far you'd like to push the activism button in light of the pre-stated boycott and the likelihood several tables of OCers could prompt a MWAG call (and the hassle that goes along with that) when some member of a university town anti group decides to have some "fun" at our expense on 'their' day. Plus, the Starbucks CEO has previously addressed the subject.

    Now if I was reasonably sure the local 911 operators were up-to-speed on OC laws and would challenge that potential caller with questions about whether the OCers were threatening, belligerent, aggressive, etc., then I'd go for it. But knowledgable operators are the exception in my area of VA and even fewer have the gumption to tell an anonymous caller that OCing is perfectly legal.

    Make no mistake, Agent, I fully intend to visit several Starbucks locations that day...open carrying and wearing a VCDL sticker...but I won't be going as part of an OC counter-demonstration which some anti-rights LEO could view as provocative/confrontational in nature just by virtue of sheer numbers. I'm confident I'd win in the end but it wouldn't be cheap.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

  8. #8
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    SB corp doesn't wish their stores to be the battleground.
    While, I will visit a SB that day I'm not going to make an issue of it.
    I'll most likely make a late morning visit to the store nearst me.





    How is any of this (other than the Boycott) different from any other day?

    I am not looking to make this a battleground I wasn't looking to make this any different then us meeting for breakfast on a Sunday. I am not looking to make an issue of it either.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  9. #9
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post

    NoVA members do so at Starbucks before every VCDL meeting.
    I now, I was one of them for yrs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    OCers could prompt a MWAG call (and the hassle that goes along with that) when some member of a university town anti group decides to have some "fun" at our expense on 'their' day.
    Pre stated Boycott or not this could happen anyday, anywhere with a group or individual.


    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Better have those recorders running.

    And have thought through well advance how you're going to respond with respect to balancing protection of your 2A rights with any specific LEO demands which may not be grounded in law or statute.
    Before anyone decides to carry especially Open carry they should have worked these things out or at least gave it some serious thought.
    Have a plan or plan to fail.



    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Plus, the Starbucks CEO has previously addressed the subject.
    I addressed this in my first post, but I'll refresh:
    While, I will visit a SB that day I'm not going to make an issue of it.
    And OC is my normal mode.





    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Now if I was reasonably sure the local 911 operators were up-to-speed on OC laws and would challenge that potential caller with questions about whether the OCers were threatening, belligerent, aggressive, etc., then I'd go for it. But knowledgable operators are the exception in my area of VA and even fewer have the gumption to tell an anonymous caller

    I personally couldn't care less if the call takers are up to speed about current laws. My lawful actions are just that!
    The call takers and the crazy callers and any rights violators can pound as much sand as they like or can handle if they don't like folks being peacable and lawful while excersing their rights.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  10. #10
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Just depends on how far you'd like to push the activism button in light of the pre-stated boycott and the likelihood several tables of OCers could prompt a MWAG call (and the hassle that goes along with that) when some member of a university town anti group decides to have some "fun" at our expense on 'their' day. Plus, the Starbucks CEO has previously addressed the subject.
    Guys I wasn't looking to make this anymore then any other OC get together. I am not holding up signs picketing out on the street.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  11. #11
    Regular Member JesterP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Guys I wasn't looking to make this anymore then any other OC get together. I am not holding up signs picketing out on the street.
    Jay, I say we meet at the Starbucks in Shopper's World. Either that, or the Starbucks in Hollymead. I plan on visiting a Starbucks on 2-14, but not planning on doing anything different than any other day -that is, unless I meet up with some other OCers, then we could make a meet'n'greet out of it.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    the local 911 operators were up-to-speed on OC laws and would challenge that potential caller with questions
    Loudoun and Fairfax both have said they dispatch for EVERYTHING. While dispatchers are trained (some even come to our OC breakfast on Sundays), they dispatch to have a live body check things out.

    I also agree with Agent19. Starbucks wants to be left out of the battle ground. I OC at my local Starbucks and they know me, but I would not have an IC event there. The Starbucks in Annandale is used to us before a VCDL meeting and even then it is a handful (3-6 people) and not a large group.

    Ed
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  13. #13
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    And if you can, pay with your purchase with $2 bills. (You can get them at your bank). This denomination is rarely used, and will get the attention of the Staff at Starbucks, AND the "2" is symbolic of our support for the 2nd Amendment.

    Cash drawers full of $2 bills at the end of the day in every Starbucks in the country would get their attention that's for sure. If you owned a business, who would you listen to for setting policy--a bunch of loud, disruptive, ranting protesters trying to convince your customers to not patronize your shop, or a bunch of quiet, polite, law-abiding people who calmly came in to your shop, purchased your product, and went about their business?

    Just sayin'...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  14. #14
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    ps -- if there's any Starbucks in the Charlottesville area that needs a quick education on corporate policy, I think the University Avenue location is the prime location. I would not be surprised if the manager asks people with guns to leave.

    Just saying.... be prepared.....

    I have oc'd in and around there more times then I can count no issues. Such as Bodo's bagels, the UVA store (private owner not affiliated with the university), dunkin doughnuts, The Corner Cup (owners are very supportive of gun rights and have no issue with OC. I have even gone shooting with them at the range).
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  15. #15
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    Will be interesting to see how this particular Starbucks reacts.

    Swung by there this morning, no issues.
    I OC on campus all the time (warmer weather) as the sidewalks are great for my daily walks while my littlest one rides in her stroller.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Orange County, Va
    Posts
    54
    Does anyone know the address? I'm fairly familiar with the area so maybe a general location would work for me.

  17. #17
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    1601 University Ave is the one on the 'corner'.
    there's another north up rt 29 a bit: 1520 Seminole Trail and another up near Airport Rd in the Hollymead Shopping Center near Harris Teeter.

    eta: there's another one on Pantops near the Giant supermarket.
    Last edited by mk4; 02-13-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Orange County, Va
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    1601 University Ave is the one on the 'corner'.
    there's another north up rt 29 a bit: 1520 Seminole Trail and another up near Airport Rd in the Hollymead Shopping Center near Harris Teeter.

    eta: there's another one on Pantops near the Giant supermarket.
    Alright, which one is the meet up at?

  19. #19
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    Had a great meet-up with Agent19 at the SB at Hollymead.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

  20. #20
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot2A View Post
    Alright, which one is the meet up at?
    A number of folks mentioned the University Ave location for after work. 6-ish?
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

  21. #21
    Regular Member JesterP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    172
    I am going to definitely try to be there -especially if others are planning on coming.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307
    I completely forgot I have a training class this evening and will not have time to stop by... I am actually going to go buy my cup right now.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    500
    We're doing an ammo giveaway to support this event (nationwide)

    http://www.gunsforeveryone.com/occup...win-some-ammo/

    so take pictures today!

  24. #24
    Regular Member JesterP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    172
    So, who all is going to be there tonight? I was going to bring my dad.

  25. #25
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    I'm in my 2nd 'bux of the day. I'm broke and all caffeine-jittery now...
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •