• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlottesville Starbucks OC 2-14-2012 6:00 pm

Jay

A couple of people have suggested so I am kicking it off with a separate thread. Basically I was trying to decide between two the one on Emmett St or the one on University Ave. I think University Ave would be the best for visibility purposes but parking is a royal pain in the butt. Mods Sticky please

mk4

hahaha!
university ave, right in the heart of the liberal campus corner area!
you're right about visibility!

mk4

i've only been in there in the morning, and that was a while ago.
how busy is it at 6pm? lots of students or are they all tucked away studying?

Felix

A large group of OCs meeting in the hot-button University Ave Starbucks on a pre-stated boycott day...that'll be a ripe climate for an anonymous MWAG call. :lol:

Better have those recorders running.

And have thought through well advance how you're going to respond with respect to balancing protection of your 2A rights with any specific LEO demands which may not be grounded in law or statute.

Marco

A couple of people have suggested so I am kicking it off with a separate thread. Basically I was trying to decide between two the one on Emmett St or the one on University Ave. I think University Ave would be the best for visibility purposes but parking is a royal pain in the butt. Mods Sticky please

SB corp doesn't wish their stores to be the battleground.
While, I will visit a SB that day I'm not going to make an issue of it.
I'll most likely make a late morning visit to the store nearst me.

A large group of OCs meeting in the hot-button University Ave Starbucks on a pre-stated boycott day...that'll be a ripe climate for an anonymous MWAG call. :lol:

And have thought through well advance how you're going to respond with respect to balancing protection of your 2A rights with any specific LEO demands which may not be grounded in law or statute.

How is any of this (other than the Boycott) different from any other day?

Last edited:

Felix

...(other than the Boycott) ...

You got it!

Of course there's nothing prohibiting an OC get together, NoVA members do so at Starbucks before every VCDL meeting. Just depends on how far you'd like to push the activism button in light of the pre-stated boycott and the likelihood several tables of OCers could prompt a MWAG call (and the hassle that goes along with that) when some member of a university town anti group decides to have some "fun" at our expense on 'their' day. Plus, the Starbucks CEO has previously addressed the subject.

Now if I was reasonably sure the local 911 operators were up-to-speed on OC laws and would challenge that potential caller with questions about whether the OCers were threatening, belligerent, aggressive, etc., then I'd go for it. But knowledgable operators are the exception in my area of VA and even fewer have the gumption to tell an anonymous caller that OCing is perfectly legal.

Make no mistake, Agent, I fully intend to visit several Starbucks locations that day...open carrying and wearing a VCDL sticker...but I won't be going as part of an OC counter-demonstration which some anti-rights LEO could view as provocative/confrontational in nature just by virtue of sheer numbers. I'm confident I'd win in the end but it wouldn't be cheap.

Jay

SB corp doesn't wish their stores to be the battleground.
I'll most likely make a late morning visit to the store nearst me.

How is any of this (other than the Boycott) different from any other day?

I am not looking to make this a battleground I wasn't looking to make this any different then us meeting for breakfast on a Sunday. I am not looking to make an issue of it either.

Marco

NoVA members do so at Starbucks before every VCDL meeting.
I now, I was one of them for yrs.

OCers could prompt a MWAG call (and the hassle that goes along with that) when some member of a university town anti group decides to have some "fun" at our expense on 'their' day.
Pre stated Boycott or not this could happen anyday, anywhere with a group or individual.

Before anyone decides to carry especially Open carry they should have worked these things out or at least gave it some serious thought.
Have a plan or plan to fail.

Plus, the Starbucks CEO has previously addressed the subject.
I addressed this in my first post, but I'll refresh:
And OC is my normal mode.

Now if I was reasonably sure the local 911 operators were up-to-speed on OC laws and would challenge that potential caller with questions about whether the OCers were threatening, belligerent, aggressive, etc., then I'd go for it. But knowledgable operators are the exception in my area of VA and even fewer have the gumption to tell an anonymous caller

I personally couldn't care less if the call takers are up to speed about current laws. My lawful actions are just that!
The call takers and the crazy callers and any rights violators can pound as much sand as they like or can handle if they don't like folks being peacable and lawful while excersing their rights.

Jay

Just depends on how far you'd like to push the activism button in light of the pre-stated boycott and the likelihood several tables of OCers could prompt a MWAG call (and the hassle that goes along with that) when some member of a university town anti group decides to have some "fun" at our expense on 'their' day. Plus, the Starbucks CEO has previously addressed the subject.

Guys I wasn't looking to make this anymore then any other OC get together. I am not holding up signs picketing out on the street.

JesterP99

Guys I wasn't looking to make this anymore then any other OC get together. I am not holding up signs picketing out on the street.

Jay, I say we meet at the Starbucks in Shopper's World. Either that, or the Starbucks in Hollymead. I plan on visiting a Starbucks on 2-14, but not planning on doing anything different than any other day -that is, unless I meet up with some other OCers, then we could make a meet'n'greet out of it.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
the local 911 operators were up-to-speed on OC laws and would challenge that potential caller with questions
Loudoun and Fairfax both have said they dispatch for EVERYTHING. While dispatchers are trained (some even come to our OC breakfast on Sundays), they dispatch to have a live body check things out.

I also agree with Agent19. Starbucks wants to be left out of the battle ground. I OC at my local Starbucks and they know me, but I would not have an IC event there. The Starbucks in Annandale is used to us before a VCDL meeting and even then it is a handful (3-6 people) and not a large group.

Ed

Dreamer

And if you can, pay with your purchase with $2 bills. (You can get them at your bank). This denomination is rarely used, and will get the attention of the Staff at Starbucks, AND the "2" is symbolic of our support for the 2nd Amendment.

Cash drawers full of $2 bills at the end of the day in every Starbucks in the country would get their attention that's for sure. If you owned a business, who would you listen to for setting policy--a bunch of loud, disruptive, ranting protesters trying to convince your customers to not patronize your shop, or a bunch of quiet, polite, law-abiding people who calmly came in to your shop, purchased your product, and went about their business?

Just sayin'...

Sheriff

I would worry about the Univeristy of Virginia police going berserk if they see weapons openly displayed.

I think the Charlottesville Police have been adequately educated on Open Carry.

Sheriff

ps -- if there's any Starbucks in the Charlottesville area that needs a quick education on corporate policy, I think the University Avenue location is the prime location. I would not be surprised if the manager asks people with guns to leave.

Just saying.... be prepared.....

Jay

ps -- if there's any Starbucks in the Charlottesville area that needs a quick education on corporate policy, I think the University Avenue location is the prime location. I would not be surprised if the manager asks people with guns to leave.

Just saying.... be prepared.....

I have oc'd in and around there more times then I can count no issues. Such as Bodo's bagels, the UVA store (private owner not affiliated with the university), dunkin doughnuts, The Corner Cup (owners are very supportive of gun rights and have no issue with OC. I have even gone shooting with them at the range).

Marco

Will be interesting to see how this particular Starbucks reacts.

Swung by there this morning, no issues.
I OC on campus all the time (warmer weather) as the sidewalks are great for my daily walks while my littlest one rides in her stroller.

mk4

1601 University Ave is the one on the 'corner'.
there's another north up rt 29 a bit: 1520 Seminole Trail and another up near Airport Rd in the Hollymead Shopping Center near Harris Teeter.

eta: there's another one on Pantops near the Giant supermarket.

Last edited: