• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Awesome LEO interaction in an adverse situation

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
8.2-280. Willfully discharging firearms in public places.

A. If any person willfully discharges or causes to be discharged any firearm in any street in a city or town, or in any place of public business or place of public gathering, and such conduct results in bodily injury to another person, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. If such conduct does not result in bodily injury to another person, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Might want to change the title to this thread to:

Damn, this could be bad!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Would the same apply inside a private dwelling or would that be considered to not be a "public place"?

Don't know. That's a question for Dan. Just being charged is BAD though and they can always amend it.
What's the penalty for shooting at an occupied dwelling?

enigmamdw

Might want to change the title to this thread to:

Damn, this could be bad!

I think the title still applies. The adverse situation, as it clarifies, is just more so than originally thought.

Out of interest and in response to the next post I looked into similar codes.

Unfortunately there is a seperate code for that... and it's much worse. Which might begin to explain why the officers were talking about low key. As the more applicable law code is...

§ 18.2-279. Discharging firearms or missiles within or at building or dwelling house; penalty. If any person maliciously discharges a firearm within any building when occupied by one or more persons in such a manner as to endanger the life or lives of such person or persons, or maliciously shoots at, or maliciously throws any missile at or against any dwelling house or other building when occupied by one or more persons, whereby the life or lives of any such person or persons may be put in peril, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 4 felony. In the event of the death of any person, resulting from such malicious shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of murder in the second degree. However, if the homicide is willful, deliberate and premeditated, he is guilty of murder in the first degree.

If any such act be done unlawfully, but not maliciously, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 6 felony; and, in the event of the death of any person resulting from such unlawful shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of involuntary manslaughter. If any person willfully discharges a firearm within or shoots at any school building whether occupied or not, he is guilty of a Class 4 felony.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think the title still applies. The adverse situation, as it clarifies, is just more so than originally thought.

Unfortunately there is a seperate code for that... and it's much worse. Which might begin to explain why the officers were talking about low key. As the more applicable law code is...

That was my point and that charge is still avery real possibility. specially if the Commonwealths Attorney wakes up on the wrong side of the bed.

The charge doesn't have to be made on the spot. The statute of limitations on a felony is forever.

Glockster

Looks like bad to worse, perhaps. It would be interesting to see what code they cited.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Would the same apply inside a private dwelling or would that be considered to not be a "public place"?

Nope, a "public place" is a location that is open to members of the public, generally. That's different from "in public" which is a location open to observation from public places, such a the front porch of an urban residence. So if the code section is 18.2-280, and the "friend" has a good lawyer, he ought to beat that charge. However, the charge could be amended. I was thinking more in terms of "reckless handling": Va. Code section 18.2-56.1(A), also a class-one misdemeanor.

Oh, and yes, the OP has pretty much already admitted negligence, if the resident below or the landlord should choose to file suit. Damages are questionable, however.

Ocean View, eh? I'd call Bob Herron, and see what he says:

Attorney Robert W. Herron III

Anderson & Associates, PC
2492 N. Landing Rd., Ste 104
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Office: (757) 301-3636

Last edited:

mk4

Looks like bad to worse, perhaps. It would be interesting to see what code they cited.

OP says 18.2-280, but as PN states the CA could have different ideas and press for something more serious. especially if he/she wants to make an example. :uhoh:

eta: sounds like the OP's friend definitely needs expert legal representation.

Last edited:

Glockster

Nope, a "public place" is a location that is open to members of the public, generally. That's different from "in public" which is a location open to observation from public places, such a the front porch of an urban residence.

I was thinking more in terms of "reckless handling":
Va. Code section 18.2-56.1(A)

Oh, and yes, the OP has pretty much already admitted negligence, if the resident below or the landlord should choose to file suit. Damages are questionable, however.

That's what I was thinking about (negligence and what may come from that). Landlord has to have a contractor inspect the property to ensure that the round didn't do any damage to whatever (e.g., electrical) as it passed between floors. Downstairs tenant suffers emotional distress not knowing if still unsecured guns overhead may again be discharged. Landlords insurance premium goes up or even is cancelled as a direct result of the incident. And so on.

enigmamdw

Nope, a "public place" is a location that is open to members of the public, generally. That's different from "in public" which is a location open to observation from public places, such a the front porch of an urban residence. So if the code section is 18.2-280, and the "friend" has a good lawyer, he ought to beat that charge. However, the charge could be amended. I was thinking more in terms of "reckless handling": Va. Code section 18.2-56.1(A), also a class-one misdemeanor.

Virginia Beach, VA 23456

Copy all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---snip---
Grapeshot,
What contradictions/gaps do you see? I'm an open book so far as this situation goes. I posted not only to share an experience but also to elicit any offered advice and it can't be useful advice if the information isn't complete or I somehow misconstrued something.

Been answered for the most part since that post was made.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Virginia law code 18.2-280
18.2-280. Willfully discharging firearms in public places.

A. If any person willfully discharges or causes to be discharged any firearm in any street in a city or town, or in any place of public business or place of public gathering, and such conduct results in bodily injury to another person, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. If such conduct does not result in bodily injury to another person, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Pretty sure the police picked the wrong charge.

enigmamdw

Travesty: Absurdity, gross misrepresentation, parody, poor imitation

OP misused the fourth word of the OP

Maybe I need to get myself a dictionary to go along with a better understanding of law codes...:banghead:

User,

I passed on your posted information to the shooter, as well as all the relevant options/charges so now I wait and see what comes of that.

As far as the landlord goes. I'm going to seek resolution with the resident below without landlord involvement. Unless of course this is somehow illegal in which case I'll probably be in for a bumpy ride. Maybe I need a lawyer too... :shocker:

Felix

Maybe I need a lawyer too... :shocker:

Could be if someone files a civil claim against you for actual damages to the dwelling or violation of your lease if there's a stipulation in it regarding firearms (landlord) or emotional distress (downstairs tenant). Doesn't appear you'll face any criminal charges since the Parent Liability Child's Act isn't a player (didn't "forget" to mention you have minors in the house, did you?).

Having a loaded firearm in your dwelling isn't against the law. Or if it is, I'm in big trouble on multiple counts. :eek:

And luckily, picking bad friends or having a case of the dumbass also isn't a chargeable offense. :rolleyes:

ArmedBarrister

[Snip]

Virginia Beach, VA 23456

I just got back from court and lo and behold there's a full-blown, two-page discussion thread with my name in it. You guys have been busy this morning!

FYI, the contact information listed by Dan is correct.

Enigma, PM sent.

Dan, thanks for passing along my information.

Neplusultra

I agree with Marshaul, the keyword in the charge is "willfully", which this is not the case. User is right in that it's a "reckless handling" charge which could be amended to this charge later, as I think Peter pointed out.

There was one thing a few people brought up, and I may be wrong about this, but a CHP cannot be taken away or denied by one misdemeanor charge even if it's class 1. It can be suspended under a felony charge prior to conviction but not revoked. I think you have to have two misdemeanor charges (one has to be a class 1) within three or five years to be prevented from getting a CHP and even then I think it's up to the judge. Bit fuzzy in my memory, I'd have to look it up....