Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 9mm Handgun?

Which 9mm Handgun?

I realize that MiaStar has the same thread going, but I didn't want to hijack it by blabbing about the models I'm interested in on his thread.

I'm looking into my first handgun, and I want a 9mm. Ideally I want something that's compact, around the size of a Glock 19, and under $600. I'd also prefer if there's a SERPA out for it, as I swear by the SERPA.

Here are a few that I'm considering: Glock 19; Beretta PX4 Storm; Beretta PX4 Compact; Kahr CW9: Kel-Tec P11; Walther PPS; XD9 Compact; USP Compact;

Guns I've handled out of those are the Glock 19, PX4 Storm, PPS, and USP Compact. The main thing for me is the location of the controls. The guns I've handled have all felt comfy and easy to operate. I have yet to hold a PX4 Compact, Kahr, Kel-Tec, or XD Compact.

The Glock has a little advantage in that I'm very used to the Glock compacts and already have about $200 in holsters made for Glocks.

If there's any other 9mm's you think I might like, please recommend them, and tell me what you think about the ones listed above.

Thanks very much!

The smith M&P is a great gun, comparable to the glock. They seem to "point" better than glocks. Also most holsters will fit both an M&P and a glock.

I would talk a look at the Ruger SR9, and very slim. 17 rounds in the magazine. The Springfield XD you mentioned is also an excellent choice.

Why are you set on a 9mm for your first handgun?

One other question, how can you swear by a Serpa if this is the first handgun you will have owned? Don't get me wrong, I have 3 Serpas and love them, just curious.

By the way, Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!
    Last edited by thebigsd; 01-27-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I have the SIG SAUER SP 2022 in .40. They have them chambered in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357Sig. The MSRP is $494.00 (Contrast) $583.00 (Night Sights). It is by far one of the most accurate weapons I have ever owned and shot. I can get less then a inch and a half grouping with it at 100yds. It is similar in looks to the USP but does not have a manual safety. It's a DA/SA. DA is 10lb trigger pull and SA is 4.4 They make serpasfor it. I use one.

I have PX4 storm type F. I bought it in November last year and put 350 rounds so far. Very accurate and good gun. I have it in full size 9mm. As you know you have interchangeable grip in three sizes that you can change. If you have any specific question be free to ask.

I second the Sig sp2022. Its a great gun, perfect for shooting with a left hand or right. And I picked mine up for less than $400.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

I've handled both M&P's and Sigs, and neither "feel" right in my hand. Thanks for the tips though!

Picked 9mm because I would like to move out of the US someday, and 9mm is the most common handgun ammo anywhere you go. Also, if the US gets invaded while I'm still here I've got a very standard combat round, again, making ammo easy to find.

I have played airsoft for many years, and have been using a KSC Glock 19 as my sidearm, and sometimes primary for about a year. I love that the Serpa gives positive retention and is super easy to re-holster. I also love the many mounting options available. One time in a scenario I was acting as an engineer in a facility, and I accidentally walked upon on a group of guys who then asked me some questions about the security office. After some awkward instructions, they all pulled P90's on me. But my concealed Serpa was fast enough to allow me to shoot back and find cover. (they later found me and disarmed me though. haha then I was a hostage for and hour before they released me!).

I'm used to the Serpa and I'm good with it.

Thanks guys! Keep it coming!

The FNH FNX-9 is an amazing weapon. That was my first firearm (is my first firearm) and I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

The FNX is just an oustanding system, great trigger, large magazine capacity, external hammer, grip mounted safety and decocker. I love it.

The SERPA holster for it is a little tricky, I have the Springfield XD holster and it fits the pistol right out of the box, my holster has some velcro on the inside to help it fit better and I find that is an even better fit than the gun the holster was made to fit.

The combat sights on the gun are also nice, I haven't been able to find too much reading material on the C-MORE combat sights, but this weapon is extremely easy to shoot.

I actually think the FNX was made to be a 9mm version of the FN's already amazing FNP 45 Tactical and FN has many years of experience making high quality weapons.

I'm an FN fan myself. I own a FiveseveN, FNP-9, FNP-45, PS-90, and an FN FAR. More to come.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Like to move out of the U.S. someday? What is that all about? Why on earth would you want to do something like that?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Like to move out of the U.S. someday? What is that all about? Why on earth would you want to do something like that?
    The Philippines man! Better gun laws and no legal abortion. Many of their laws coincide with my conscience a lot better than here...

The FNX is nice, but believe the safety would interfere with manipulation of the slide release. That's one reason 1911's aren't right for me. But yes FN is an awesome company. Ran an airsoft Tokyo Marui P90 for a while, amazingly innovative design (the only downsides with that the mags were huge and slings were expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post

The FNX is nice, but believe the safety would interfere with manipulation of the slide release. That's one reason 1911's aren't right for me. But yes FN is an awesome company..
    I don't have any problem with that. The slide release and the safety are far enough apart that there is no way I can manipulate the safety when I use the slide release. I mean, down is off safety anyway so you wouldn't really have that problem. Maybe I just don't understand your problem...

The Philippines man! Better gun laws...
    I hate to break it to you man, but whatever you've been smoking will net you life in prison over there. But not before you discover their gun laws suck too.

I have both the S&W Sigma and Glock 19. The Sigma isnt a bad gun. Paid right at 300.00 for it, but its no Glock. The both come apart the same way, but you can tell the difference in quality between the two. I love my Glock, its accurate, simple and very reliable and is my daily carry gun.

E.J.

I agree, Glock 19's are quite nice.

Last time I checked (mid 2011) there wasn't even a license required to own a fully-automatic firearm in the PH. Now actually finding guns for sale can be a bit of an issue. lol In Japan the PH are quite well-known as a place where Japanese tourists can go to shoot at private ranges, and there is a decent amount of "gun tourism" there.

I agree, Glock 19's are quite nice.

Last time I checked (mid 2011) there wasn't even a license required to own a fully-automatic firearm in the PH. Now actually finding guns for sale can be a bit of an issue. lol In Japan the PH are quite well-known as a place where Japanese tourists can go to shoot at private ranges, and there is a decent amount of "gun tourism" there.
    Last time I checked (google, just now) you still don't even need a license to own a full auto in the US either. Have the cash and the tax stamp and you can walk out with one today (had to start the process months ago). It isn't too big of a chore to get a class 3 weapon if you have the money for one. Also Kentucky has great gun laws and other talk about how good Virginia's is, so I am guessing that theirs might be as good or better.

And you know everything about guns because you have played airsoft for the last couple of years? I would listen to advice from actual gun owners.

Edit: I am not saying you can't disagree with what we have to say, but don't disagree with it just because you shot plastic bbs out of one that you didn't like.
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 01-27-2012 at 10:20 PM.

The Philippines man! Better gun laws and no legal abortion. Many of their laws coincide with my conscience a lot better than here...
    To each his own.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock19fan View Post
    I have both the S&W Sigma and Glock 19. The Sigma isnt a bad gun. Paid right at 300.00 for it, but its no Glock. The both come apart the same way, but you can tell the difference in quality between the two. I love my Glock, its accurate, simple and very reliable and is my daily carry gun.

E.J.
    There are people who love and swear by Glocks and there are those who wouldn't buy one regardless of how low the price was. But the one thing people can't argue about is the fact that they go bang when they are suppose to better than just about anything at any price out there. That and the fact that they are so darned easy to work on and replace/mod parts. Yep, hard to beat Gaston's plastic fantastic.

America First!

There are people who love and swear by Glocks and there are those who wouldn't buy one regardless of how low the price was. But the one thing people can't argue about is the fact that they go bang when they are suppose to better than just about anything at any price out there. That and the fact that they are so darned easy to work on and replace/mod parts. Yep, hard to beat Gaston's plastic fantastic.
    You can say that about most plastic pistols, just other ones seem to point better and look better (if that is a consideration) .

That is very true. I havent always been a fan of Glocks but over the past year so, since I got one, my mind has changed about them. IMO I think that the only handgun that really compares is the S&W M&P, which to me may point a little better. I suppose when it comes too its all a matter of opinion, kinda like the Ford vs Chevy, Dodge debate.

E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock19fan View Post
    That is very true. I havent always been a fan of Glocks but over the past year so, since I got one, my mind has changed about them. IMO I think that the only handgun that really compares is the S&W M&P, which to me may point a little better. I suppose when it comes too its all a matter of opinion, kinda like the Ford vs Chevy, Dodge debate.

E.J.
    I agree with your assessment of the M&P series. I have three and shoot them better than any of my Glocks; particularly with my M&P 9 Pro Series and my M&P 45 4" barrel. I shoot those two guns very well. But I must say that my Glocks (EX: my gen3 G19) is more reliable with no failures of any kind, whereas my M&P Pro has had a few failures to feed and failures to lock open after the last round (several just this week) probably due to a sensitivity to specific ammo. My G19 has never failed me and nor has either of my two gen3 G23's. The ammo I was using was Federal 115gr FMJ target ammo from WalMart. WWB has been much better. The thing with the M&P design is that you have to keep the gun clean, and that includes disassembling and cleaning the magazine as well.

Plus the M&P has a few design faults in my opinion.

o Their loaded chamber indicator is a joke. They should have followed Glock's, Kahr's, Beretta's, and Taurus's lead (to name a few) by using the extractor for this important feature. You can't see what's under the hole on the top of the slide in the dark.

o Their take down lever is not dependable in its operation. Sometimes it tries to return to rest on its own. Better to either improve this item or use another approach to taking the slide off.

o The magazine follower's design makes it unduly difficult to load "first" cartridges into the magazine in particular for the 9mm.

o The magazine springs are somewhat thin and easily bent and not the best quality.

But I still very much like the M&P and do carry one frequently. I have been in the process of re-evaluatiing my primary carry gun, which for five years has been one of my gen3 G23's. I have spent time testing various guns at the range and comparing how I do with them against one another. I have determined that my M&P 9mm Pro Series and my M&P 45 4" are consistently the most accurate in my hands. My gen3 G19 comes in behind those two. Oh, and there's an M&P 40 in the picture as well. I am going back next week to once again spend some time with my G19 because I added Pierce grip extensions to two of the magazines (not the +1 variety). I want to see if my grip improves since I suspect that to be what is affecting my accuracy with this G19.

With my two above mentioned M&P's (the 9mm Pro and the 45), I am consistent with hits to POA so the G19 is up against some good stuff in a few days.

America First!

o Their take down lever is not dependable in its operation. Sometimes it tries to return to rest on its own. Better to either improve this item or use another approach to taking the slide off.
    You can always pull the trigger to get the slide off, if I am not mistaken this is how you disassemble glocks.

Also, I have never had any problems with M&P but I usually clean it every time I shoot it but I have never disassembled the mag. I have only had one problem with my smith and that was a failure to eject the last time I took it out, up until then it has been 100% for good ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Last time I checked (google, just now) you still don't even need a license to own a full auto in the US either. Have the cash and the tax stamp and you can walk out with one today (had to start the process months ago). It isn't too big of a chore to get a class 3 weapon if you have the money for one. Also Kentucky has great gun laws and other talk about how good Virginia's is, so I am guessing that theirs might be as good or better.

And you know everything about guns because you have played airsoft for the last couple of years? I would listen to advice from actual gun owners.

Edit: I am not saying you can't disagree with what we have to say, but don't disagree with it just because you shot plastic bbs out of one that you didn't like.
    I appreciate the info on Class 3 laws. Thanks!

I listen to advice from friends who have been in the profession 35+ years. One owns a prestigious training company in my area, and the other was once the tenth-best handgun shooter in the world, from what I've heard. Please don't diss me because my hands are boney and some grips and controls don't feel right...

Attachment 7842

You can do what I did and go the tactical approach and get a G19 and deck it out with all the NEEDED accessories.

Activist Member
    Yes in Ky or most other states you can own A fully automatic firearm, however it can't be manufactured after 1986, and it will cost you thousands of dollars. In the Philippines you can own a glock 18 for almost 600 U.S.D., and it can be brand new, that to me is better than Americas laws on fully automatic firearms. As for Virginias and kentuckys gun laws, kentuckys are much better, however Virginia legislators are trying to work on that this year. As for 9mm handguns, you can't go wrong with a glock! I own a block in every caliber except .45 G.A.P. And love them all! Don't buy a kel-tec p-11. I have owned two, and both had malfunctions often!, not to mention you will not find a serpa holster for one. The pf-9 may be better, but still no serpa! I just bought the new sig 226 Mk 25 today! I usually don't buy sig, and this is my first and I love it! It is the same firearm the navy seals are issued, it has extreme corrosion resistance, night sights, chambered in 9mm and you can get a serpa for it! I never carry a 9mm for self defense, but I like this firearm so much it will surely ride on my side every now and then! It's cost is a bit higher than 600, I paid $880.00 for mine, that was with tax, however my local shop did give me a little discount because I shop there so often. So, I'd go with the glock 19, or the new sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast