• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which 9mm Handgun?

Boba Fett

I realize that MiaStar has the same thread going, but I didn't want to hijack it by blabbing about the models I'm interested in on his thread.

I'm looking into my first handgun, and I want a 9mm. Ideally I want something that's compact, around the size of a Glock 19, and under $600. I'd also prefer if there's a SERPA out for it, as I swear by the SERPA.

Here are a few that I'm considering: Glock 19; Beretta PX4 Storm; Beretta PX4 Compact; Kahr CW9: Kel-Tec P11; Walther PPS; XD9 Compact; USP Compact;

Guns I've handled out of those are the Glock 19, PX4 Storm, PPS, and USP Compact. The main thing for me is the location of the controls. The guns I've handled have all felt comfy and easy to operate. I have yet to hold a PX4 Compact, Kahr, Kel-Tec, or XD Compact.

The Glock has a little advantage in that I'm very used to the Glock compacts and already have about $200 in holsters made for Glocks.

If there's any other 9mm's you think I might like, please recommend them, and tell me what you think about the ones listed above.

Thanks very much!

09jisaac

The smith M&P is a great gun, comparable to the glock. They seem to "point" better than glocks. Also most holsters will fit both an M&P and a glock.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would talk a look at the Ruger SR9, and very slim. 17 rounds in the magazine. The Springfield XD you mentioned is also an excellent choice.

Why are you set on a 9mm for your first handgun?

One other question, how can you swear by a Serpa if this is the first handgun you will have owned? Don't get me wrong, I have 3 Serpas and love them, just curious.

By the way, Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!

Last edited:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I have the SIG SAUER SP 2022 in .40. They have them chambered in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357Sig. The MSRP is $494.00 (Contrast) $583.00 (Night Sights). It is by far one of the most accurate weapons I have ever owned and shot. I can get less then a inch and a half grouping with it at 100yds. It is similar in looks to the USP but does not have a manual safety. It's a DA/SA. DA is 10lb trigger pull and SA is 4.4 They make serpasfor it. I use one.

west

I have PX4 storm type F. I bought it in November last year and put 350 rounds so far. Very accurate and good gun. I have it in full size 9mm. As you know you have interchangeable grip in three sizes that you can change. If you have any specific question be free to ask.

Boba Fett

I've handled both M&P's and Sigs, and neither "feel" right in my hand. Thanks for the tips though!

Picked 9mm because I would like to move out of the US someday, and 9mm is the most common handgun ammo anywhere you go. Also, if the US gets invaded while I'm still here I've got a very standard combat round, again, making ammo easy to find.

I have played airsoft for many years, and have been using a KSC Glock 19 as my sidearm, and sometimes primary for about a year. I love that the Serpa gives positive retention and is super easy to re-holster. I also love the many mounting options available. One time in a scenario I was acting as an engineer in a facility, and I accidentally walked upon on a group of guys who then asked me some questions about the security office. After some awkward instructions, they all pulled P90's on me. But my concealed Serpa was fast enough to allow me to shoot back and find cover. (they later found me and disarmed me though. haha then I was a hostage for and hour before they released me!).

I'm used to the Serpa and I'm good with it. :D

Thanks guys! Keep it coming! :)

JesterP99

The FNH FNX-9 is an amazing weapon. That was my first firearm (is my first firearm) and I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

The FNX is just an oustanding system, great trigger, large magazine capacity, external hammer, grip mounted safety and decocker. I love it.

The SERPA holster for it is a little tricky, I have the Springfield XD holster and it fits the pistol right out of the box, my holster has some velcro on the inside to help it fit better and I find that is an even better fit than the gun the holster was made to fit.

The combat sights on the gun are also nice, I haven't been able to find too much reading material on the C-MORE combat sights, but this weapon is extremely easy to shoot.

I actually think the FNX was made to be a 9mm version of the FN's already amazing FNP 45 Tactical and FN has many years of experience making high quality weapons.

kurt555gs

I'm an FN fan myself. I own a FiveseveN, FNP-9, FNP-45, PS-90, and an FN FAR. More to come.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Boba Fett

Like to move out of the U.S. someday? What is that all about? Why on earth would you want to do something like that?

The Philippines man! Better gun laws and no legal abortion. Many of their laws coincide with my conscience a lot better than here...

The FNX is nice, but believe the safety would interfere with manipulation of the slide release. That's one reason 1911's aren't right for me. But yes FN is an awesome company. Ran an airsoft Tokyo Marui P90 for a while, amazingly innovative design (the only downsides with that the mags were huge and slings were expensive).

JesterP99

The FNX is nice, but believe the safety would interfere with manipulation of the slide release. That's one reason 1911's aren't right for me. But yes FN is an awesome company..

I don't have any problem with that. The slide release and the safety are far enough apart that there is no way I can manipulate the safety when I use the slide release. I mean, down is off safety anyway so you wouldn't really have that problem. Maybe I just don't understand your problem...

Glock19fan

I have both the S&W Sigma and Glock 19. The Sigma isnt a bad gun. Paid right at 300.00 for it, but its no Glock. The both come apart the same way, but you can tell the difference in quality between the two. I love my Glock, its accurate, simple and very reliable and is my daily carry gun.

E.J.

Boba Fett

I agree, Glock 19's are quite nice. :)

Last time I checked (mid 2011) there wasn't even a license required to own a fully-automatic firearm in the PH. Now actually finding guns for sale can be a bit of an issue. lol In Japan the PH are quite well-known as a place where Japanese tourists can go to shoot at private ranges, and there is a decent amount of "gun tourism" there.

09jisaac

I agree, Glock 19's are quite nice. :)

Last time I checked (mid 2011) there wasn't even a license required to own a fully-automatic firearm in the PH. Now actually finding guns for sale can be a bit of an issue. lol In Japan the PH are quite well-known as a place where Japanese tourists can go to shoot at private ranges, and there is a decent amount of "gun tourism" there.

Last time I checked (google, just now) you still don't even need a license to own a full auto in the US either. Have the cash and the tax stamp and you can walk out with one today (had to start the process months ago). It isn't too big of a chore to get a class 3 weapon if you have the money for one. Also Kentucky has great gun laws and other talk about how good Virginia's is, so I am guessing that theirs might be as good or better.

And you know everything about guns because you have played airsoft for the last couple of years? I would listen to advice from actual gun owners.

Edit: I am not saying you can't disagree with what we have to say, but don't disagree with it just because you shot plastic bbs out of one that you didn't like.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have both the S&W Sigma and Glock 19. The Sigma isnt a bad gun. Paid right at 300.00 for it, but its no Glock. The both come apart the same way, but you can tell the difference in quality between the two. I love my Glock, its accurate, simple and very reliable and is my daily carry gun.

E.J.

There are people who love and swear by Glocks and there are those who wouldn't buy one regardless of how low the price was. But the one thing people can't argue about is the fact that they go bang when they are suppose to better than just about anything at any price out there. That and the fact that they are so darned easy to work on and replace/mod parts. Yep, hard to beat Gaston's plastic fantastic.

09jisaac

There are people who love and swear by Glocks and there are those who wouldn't buy one regardless of how low the price was. But the one thing people can't argue about is the fact that they go bang when they are suppose to better than just about anything at any price out there. That and the fact that they are so darned easy to work on and replace/mod parts. Yep, hard to beat Gaston's plastic fantastic.

You can say that about most plastic pistols, just other ones seem to point better and look better (if that is a consideration) .

Glock19fan

That is very true. I havent always been a fan of Glocks but over the past year so, since I got one, my mind has changed about them. IMO I think that the only handgun that really compares is the S&W M&P, which to me may point a little better. I suppose when it comes too its all a matter of opinion, kinda like the Ford vs Chevy, Dodge debate.

E.J.