• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How much is "enough" ammo to have stored at home?

Firedawg314

"Enough" ammo is however much it would take for you to never need to buy ammo again for the rest of your life even if horrible catastrophes happened.

NOW WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE!

Here's my new idea on that. Lets say, you normally practice at a rate of 500 rnds per month. Lets mulitply that by 20 years. That come out to be 120,000 rnds!!!!

I believe (and hope) that even if you where to have enough mags, hands/people, to help defend your home you live through it... it should be enough to help cover anything else and practice for years to come.

What's funny, my father and where talking about this today... he has a little .380 handgun. Til this day, still have the same ammo in it when he bought it back in the mid 70's. 6 rounds! I just taken his old ammo out to the range and shot them off. Worked perfectly. The gun was kept under his bed. No special box or bag.

SO I guess its the "un answerable... answer" of how much ammo to save/ stock up on.

I had looters trying to get in... yeah, I want to rock'n roll. If I bug out... and encounter robbers... I want to rock'n roll...

Firedawg314

That's why I keep 30,000 rounds for my M61A1 Vulcan (5 minutes worth @ 6000 rounds a minute) and half a dozen Hellfire missiles...I'd tell you how many Stingers I have, but then I'd have to kill you....

you truly have a "budget". I could only dream to have that. But isn't the range of Stingers is about 50,000 feet? Unless, looters can arrive to you by helio... its almost a "waste". But I guess if you have a pack of zombies in front of you... you can knock them all down with one shot.:lol:

jeeper1

"Enough" ammo is however much it would take for you to never need to buy ammo again for the rest of your life even if horrible catastrophes happened.

If that was true, I can only live another 20 or so years.

markand

Until you run out of money or space to store it, or the floor buckles under the weight, what's the problem?

Gunslinger

you truly have a "budget". I could only dream to have that. But isn't the range of Stingers is about 50,000 feet? Unless, looters can arrive to you by helio... its almost a "waste". But I guess if you have a pack of zombies in front of you... you can knock them all down with one shot.:lol:

I'm concerned with Zombie helo pilots...or tank drivers, too...