Thread: concealed carry in the work place

concealed carry in the work place

i work many nights and late nights at a company, like many others have a no carrying of weapons policy. a majority of the time i am the only one on premises who is working and able to save myself should something happen. are there any legal ramifications to carrying concealed with permit while working for an employer who has in their handbook a no carry weapons policy?

unemployment....and not sure u could draw benefits if fired for cause...

insomniac wabbit

i figured that much. i'm looking more into the legal side. i think of the indianapolis kroger manager who shot the robber while on the job. he didnt face any legal charges, just potential kroger discipline. would this be the same for ky employees?

i should throw out there that i realize any statements are not going to be taken as truth, but only ones self interpretation of the law.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/110.PDF

(17)The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business enterprise, day-care center as defined in KRS 199.894 or certified or licensed family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, or a health-care facility licensed under KRS Chapter 216B, except facilities renting or leasing housing, may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer or business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying concealed weapons is prohibited. Possession of weapons, or ammunition, or both in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the weapons, or ammunition, or both are not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. A private but not a public employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employer, but may not prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employee, except that the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet may prohibit an employee from carrying any weapons, or ammunition, or both other than the weapons, or ammunition, or both issued or authorized to be used by the employee of the cabinet, in a vehicle while transporting persons under the employee's supervision or jurisdiction. Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in this subsection by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer.

thank you. glad to know there is actually a line saying its non criminal and i would only be subjecting myself to whatever the employer may do.

Activist Member
    I carry everywhere i go. College, work, everywhere! Even though self defense law is on our side in Ky, the old saying "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six," certainly has valid points! My firearm is on me or near me 24/7. If it's concealed no one will know, and if you have to use it, it will be better to be breathing and fired, than dead! Carry on!
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 01-27-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I carry everywhere i go. College, work, everywhere! Even though self defense law is on our side in Ky, the old saying "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six," certainly has valid points! My firearm is on me or near me 24/7. If it's concealed no one will know, and if you have to use it, it will be better to be breathing and fired, than dead! Carry on!
    I had to read that qoutation a few times to understand it, lol. You should put a explaination to all phrases <3

I have nothing to add to this conversation.

Fwee cookies for all.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Activist Member
    You are joking?

"I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six."
    12 jurors or 6 pallbearers

"Rather be judged by twelve (jurors), than carried by six (pallbearers)"

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    12 jurors or 6 pallbearers

"Rather be judged by twelve (jurors), than carried by six (pallbearers)"

This is what I learned my first day at FLETC
    Last edited by hotrod; 01-29-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    This is what I learned my first day at FLETC
    FLETC?

Can I start calling you 'Sarge'?
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    FLETC?

Can I start calling you 'Sarge'?
    Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco GA. and the proper term would be Gunny.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco GA. and the proper term would be Gunny.
    Touche, sir.

Marines or Army vet? :O
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

Gunny=Gunnery Sergeant, USMC. Gunnery Sergeant is above a Staff Sergeant and below a Master Sergeant
    Uhhh Rahhh and Semper Fi!!
    Last edited by hotrod; 01-31-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

What college allows you to carry? Unfortunately mine, Somerset Community College, does not.

Quote Originally Posted by cwohardy View Post
    What college allows you to carry? Unfortunately mine, Somerset Community College, does not.
    This isn't meant to be construed as advice but: What they don't know won't hurt them. KY says that he would rather break the law than to be dead because of its inadequacies (Colleges have the authority to ban firearms, it isn't law).

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post

unemployment....and not sure u could draw benefits if fired for cause...
    Yes, you could almost count on this if caught by your employer.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Please cite the authority of colleges to ban firearms. I have never been able to find any.
    http://www.somerset.ac.uk/about-governance.html

Just because they have the authority doesn't mean that they were granted the authority, it can mean that they took it and no one has taken it back.

We had this discussion before. You're too bent out of shape at what words were used to pay any attention to the meaning of them.

Please cite the authority of colleges to ban firearms. I have never been able to find any.
    You wont find any. 237.115 (1) could be misinterpreted to give them that authority.

First of all I am not the slightest bit "bent out of shape". I am completely in shape and unbent. I just would like to know where they got the authority that you say they have. Did they just invent it out of thin air? You say they may have "took" it. Who did they "take" it from? What legal entity had it in the first place? If that works I may "take" a little authority for myself. I'd like to have some.

From the OCDO Basic Rules:

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Words have meaning. If you say yes, you shouldn't mean no. If you say they have the authority, but really meant to say they "took" it without any legal basis, then that should be your response. If you can't cite to authority, just say you can't. If you misspoke, just say so. We all do it at times. If you think you are right say so, but expect to be asked why you think so. Somerset College and no other post secondary school in Ky is empowered to make law. They are not empowered to violate the federal or state constitution.

Any time I see a post on here that states some rule or law that I don't know about, I'm going to ask for a cite so I can learn this new rule or law. If I post one, feel free to ask me to do the same. I won't accuse you of being "bent out of shape" for following the forum rules.

I didn't mispoke, and I mean what I posted. Just because I can't cite where they got the authority at doesn't mean that they don't have it. Where did the founders get the authority to write the constitution? But they got it. I never said that they made law and they didn't violate the constitution.

Property rights are rights.

And don't try to act like you're just merely curious, you and I have had this conversation before. That time I said the law said they could, and I meant that it wasn't against the law, this time I am saying they have the authority.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I didn't mispoke, and I mean what I posted. Just because I can't cite where they got the authority at doesn't mean that they don't have it. Where did the founders get the authority to write the constitution? But they got it. I never said that they made law and they didn't violate the constitution.

Property rights are rights.

And don't try to act like you're just merely curious, you and I have had this conversation before. That time I said the law said they could, and I meant that it wasn't against the law, this time I am saying they have the authority.
    We the people gave them the authority to write the Constitution. I also don't know that the Constitution businesses rights anyway, it grants rights to the people and certain powers to the government.