• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

concealed carry in the work place

kcunha

i work many nights and late nights at a company, like many others have a no carrying of weapons policy. a majority of the time i am the only one on premises who is working and able to save myself should something happen. are there any legal ramifications to carrying concealed with permit while working for an employer who has in their handbook a no carry weapons policy?

kcunha

i figured that much. i'm looking more into the legal side. i think of the indianapolis kroger manager who shot the robber while on the job. he didnt face any legal charges, just potential kroger discipline. would this be the same for ky employees?

kcunha

i should throw out there that i realize any statements are not going to be taken as truth, but only ones self interpretation of the law.

Tmhrr

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/110.PDF

(17)The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business enterprise, day-care center as defined in KRS 199.894 or certified or licensed family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, or a health-care facility licensed under KRS Chapter 216B, except facilities renting or leasing housing, may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer or business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying concealed weapons is prohibited. Possession of weapons, or ammunition, or both in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the weapons, or ammunition, or both are not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. A private but not a public employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employer, but may not prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employee, except that the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet may prohibit an employee from carrying any weapons, or ammunition, or both other than the weapons, or ammunition, or both issued or authorized to be used by the employee of the cabinet, in a vehicle while transporting persons under the employee's supervision or jurisdiction. Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in this subsection by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer.

kcunha

thank you. glad to know there is actually a line saying its non criminal and i would only be subjecting myself to whatever the employer may do.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I carry everywhere i go. College, work, everywhere! Even though self defense law is on our side in Ky, the old saying "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six," certainly has valid points! My firearm is on me or near me 24/7. If it's concealed no one will know, and if you have to use it, it will be better to be breathing and fired, than dead! Carry on!

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

I carry everywhere i go. College, work, everywhere! Even though self defense law is on our side in Ky, the old saying "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six," certainly has valid points! My firearm is on me or near me 24/7. If it's concealed no one will know, and if you have to use it, it will be better to be breathing and fired, than dead! Carry on!

I had to read that qoutation a few times to understand it, lol. You should put a explaination to all phrases <3

I have nothing to add to this conversation.

Fwee cookies for all.

cwohardy

What college allows you to carry? Unfortunately mine, Somerset Community College, does not. :banghead:

09jisaac

What college allows you to carry? Unfortunately mine, Somerset Community College, does not. :banghead:

This isn't meant to be construed as advice but: What they don't know won't hurt them. KY says that he would rather break the law than to be dead because of its inadequacies (Colleges have the authority to ban firearms, it isn't law).

09jisaac

Please cite the authority of colleges to ban firearms. I have never been able to find any.

http://www.somerset.ac.uk/about-governance.html

Just because they have the authority doesn't mean that they were granted the authority, it can mean that they took it and no one has taken it back.

We had this discussion before. You're too bent out of shape at what words were used to pay any attention to the meaning of them.