• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Audio of the Senate Courts Committee Meeting on the 25th

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I still can't upload this much video but the auio is the important part anyway:

[video=vimeo;35732461]http://vimeo.com/35732461[/video]

Felix

Senator Black's SB612 (long gun purchase approvals move under the National Instant Check System (NICS)) debate starts @ 1 hr 18 mins. Takes nearly an hour but you'll find out everything you ever wanted to know about how the purchase approval process works.

As previously reported, the bill was tabled for the year...VA State Police will receive additional funding to try and "fix" the system of lengthy delays buyers are experiencing. The VSP is on notice that they'll have to demonstrate definite improvements before this time next year.

Thanks, Peter, for posting. This was very informative. I didn't see any indication that the VSP is in favor of getting out of the gun-approval business as you had apparently been told off-line but I wouldn't have expected an admission of that in this venue.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last night several of us were discussing some odd issues in the Courts of Justice.
VCDL President was going to speak to a few people about them and today Mark Obenshain announced there was a problem with the Senate rules.

Obenshain is one of my most respected legislators and he didn't let me down. The Bills heard on Wednesday will need to be revisited.

Last year, it would have been swept under the rug.

Philip has sent out a VCDL Alert about this.

TFred

Last night several of us were discussing some odd issues in the Courts of Justice.
VCDL President was going to speak to a few people about them and today Mark Obenshain announced there was a problem with the Senate rules.

Obenshain is one of my most respected legislators and he didn't let me down. The Bills heard on Wednesday will need to be revisited.

Last year, it would have been swept under the rug.

Philip has sent out a VCDL Alert about this.
But only if the original vote had gone "their way"... :)

Looks like this is about the improper use of proxies. Seems like it would be hard for a casual observer to pick up on the fact that something went wrong.

TFred