• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally applied for my CHP

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well called the county clerk yesterday asking for status. She asked for my name then put me on hold. She came back and said the judge just signed it, but she had to do the card and that would take 1-2 weeks :banghead: . I explained to her that 45 days would be up Sunday, and I would be down on Monday to collect either my card or my application to serve as my defacto permit signed by her as I am entitled to per Virginia Statue. Her remark to me was looks like someone has done their homework. I responded with yes maam. She said well will see and hung up. I received a phone call three hours later that it was ready so I drove right on down and picked it up. :banana:

I don't care about the permit one way or the other Jay ....but GOOD FOR YOU for knowing the law and holding her nose to the grindstone!!!!!!!!!:monkey

TFred

Well called the county clerk yesterday asking for status. She asked for my name then put me on hold. She came back and said the judge just signed it, but she had to do the card and that would take 1-2 weeks :banghead: . I explained to her that 45 days would be up Sunday, and I would be down on Monday to collect either my card or my application to serve as my defacto permit signed by her as I am entitled to per Virginia Statue. Her remark to me was looks like someone has done their homework. I responded with yes maam. She said well will see and hung up. I received a phone call three hours later that it was ready so I drove right on down and picked it up. :banana:
Tsk, tsk, those pesky people who do their homework! :)

TFred

Marco

I don't care about the permit one way or the other Jay ....but GOOD FOR YOU for knowing the law and holding her nose to the grindstone!!!!!!!!!

1+
I told you they would pull that non sense, glad you held their feet to the fire.

paramedic

Not sure what the problem is with getting the certificate on line. This is not to say that I do not support the training classe. But my question is, if you support constitutional carry, then people would not have to have training, just wondering what the difference is.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not sure what the problem is with getting the certificate on line. This is not to say that I do not support the training classe. But my question is, if you support constitutional carry, then people would not have to have training, just wondering what the difference is.

:lol::lol:Jim doesn't get paid!:lol::lol:

scouser

Quality.

Support of constitutional carry is a good thing but so far the laws here haven't been changed to allow it. If someone is required to have training as a condition of obtaining a permit, is it not a good idea that the training should be the best?

Whereas online training may be plausible for a person who has grown up around firearms and is familiar with handling them because their father/brother/uncle/mother/etc showed them the right way to do things and is only taking the class because they need an official piece of paper, there are also other people with zero prior experience who may have their own specific questions about how do they do this, where can I carry, is it ok to do x y or z while carrying or even the what should I carry or which holster should I buy. An online class won't address all those questions, but a decent classroom instructor will.

Jay may have several years of experience behind him and he says he took training twice before so is explaining his motive behind going online only. On the other hand there is me. I grew up in a country where firearms were not so prevalent and where nowadays only the bad people have them. My experience of firearms was limited to handling unloaded L1A1 SLRs and Sterling SMGs as a child during Family Days at the barracks where my mother worked. Although I was aware that online training was acceptable, I felt it would be a far better option for me if I were to seek out classroom training instead. I looked at it as a way to learn properly before buying a firearm, not just as a means of obtaining a permit. I had questions that were answered in the classroom and I walked out of the room feeling much better informed about what to look for.

I can't speak about how other people's training compares, but I will say that Proshooter's classes are informative, entertaining and professionally run. He answered every question anyone had, putting people at ease and assuring us there was no such thing as a dumb question. If anyone is looking for quality training they can't go wrong with Proshooter's organization, but don't just take my word for it go to the gunshow this weekend and talk to him, find out for yourselves if you haven't already.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Quality.

Support of constitutional carry is a good thing but so far the laws here haven't been changed to allow it. If someone is required to have training as a condition of obtaining a permit, is it not a good idea that the training should be the best?

Whereas online training may be plausible for a person who has grown up around firearms and is familiar with handling them because their father/brother/uncle/mother/etc showed them the right way to do things and is only taking the class because they need an official piece of paper, there are also other people with zero prior experience who may have their own specific questions about how do they do this, where can I carry, is it ok to do x y or z while carrying or even the what should I carry or which holster should I buy. An online class won't address all those questions, but a decent classroom instructor will.

Scouser pretty much read my mind. It has nothing to do with getting paid. Here's a little known secret. When we started Proactive Shooters in 2007, we studied the idea of an online gun safety class. My better half is pretty tech smart when it comes to that kind of computer stuff. We realized that we could produce an hour long video, with a test, and market it and still be in compliance with the law.... I considered it, for about 5 minutes....and decided that it was not the direction that I wanted this company to take. I wanted to provide a more interactive kind of training. I don't even consider these online courses training at all....at least not in the sense of what I believe the intent of the legislature was in requiring a "firearms safety or training" course. That's just my opinion, and as they say, its worth every penny that you paid for it.

I can't speak about how other people's training compares, but I will say that Proshooter's classes are informative, entertaining and professionally run. He answered every question anyone had, putting people at ease and assuring us there was no such thing as a dumb question. If anyone is looking for quality training they can't go wrong with Proshooter's organization, but don't just take my word for it go to the gunshow this weekend and talk to him, find out for yourselves if you haven't already.

Thank you, scouser. I truly appreciate your comments, and I thank you for your business. I truly enjoy what I do, and I feel that I learn something new each day. Its nice to be able to offer something to good people who just want to protect themselves against crime.