• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Left and Right...

Sheldon

Left & Right

Origin of Left & Right...

I have often wondered why it is that Conservatives are called the "right" and
Liberals are called the "left."

By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Thus sayeth the Lord. Amen.

Can't get any simpler than that.

New Subject: Spelling Lesson

The last four letters in American..........I Can
The last four letters in Republican........I Can
The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson. Test to follow in November, 2012

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent extermination month.

Daylen

Wrong. It comes from the early 19th century French parliment. They sat in wings and those who sat on the left side were advocates of using the government to change the social order and those who sat on the right side were advocates of using the government to conserve and keep the social order from changing. Its a European thing that we have been sucked into, a constitutional government would lack the power to change or conserve the social order, it would be up to individuals as it should be in a free society.

DrakeZ07

Well of course the heart is going to incline to the right; Medically speaking, the right side of the heart (Right Ventricle) is the largest chamber of the heart, responsible for pumping more blood through the heart than the other three chambers.

:p

Sheldon

and there is the discussion that the right and left came from the Congressional Chamber at the US Capital. The conservatives sit on the right of the speaker of the house, the liberals on the left. This also refers to reaching across the aisle.

But I liked my first post better....Which point is to get you all off your rear, support pro gun candidates, and VOTE!!!

Last edited:

Daylen

and there is the discussion that the right and left came from the Congressional Chamber at the US Capital. The conservatives sit on the right of the speaker of the house, the liberals on the left. This also refers to reaching across the aisle.

But I liked my first post better....Which point is to get you all off your rear, support pro gun candidates, and VOTE!!!

Its silly, and historically wrong.

OC for ME

I have a cousin who is as loony as a lib can get....until you start mess'n with his guns. Not a lot of loony lib, group-hug think, kool aid drinking going on then.

Typically libs are libs first and foremost, all else is expendable when measured against their libness. But my cousin don't hunt that way when anyone is mess'n with his guns.

DrakeZ07

I have a cousin who is as loony as a lib can get....until you start mess'n with his guns. Not a lot of loony lib, group-hug think, kool aid drinking going on then.

Typically libs are libs first and foremost, all else is expendable when measured against their libness. But my cousin don't hunt that way when anyone is mess'n with his guns.

I love it when people use stereotypes... Don't you? ;)

Dag dern lib'ruls tak'n mah jorbs and rats!

Lol.

OC for ME

I wish it were a stereo type....the dude scares my kids at Thanksgiving, not intentionally, good guy, just over the top most of the time. Big City lib, if you want to call Charleston, SC a Big City. Well, it is big for SC.

He is strapped both sides when he comes out to my farm, the only place he can OC in SC. Wearing 1000 bucks in Real Tree, L.L. Bean and other logo apparel. The rest of us are in shorts, golf shirts and slip-on shoes, mostly from Target or WalMart, drinking from Solo cups. He spends more time hunting than he does with his own wife and kids. But, he has a great job and keeps the money flowing into the household account.

Hey, ya can't choose your kin....;)