• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attention: Fort Myers/SW FL Gun Owners. You need to read this!

KeepShootin

If you live in the Fort Myers area, I'm sure you have shopped at the Gulf Coast Town Center at least once. Now, I've never seen a sign that said "no weapons allowed", but I just happened to be browsing the Florida Carry website, and saw that they DO NOT allow weapons on their property. Now, personally, I will not spend another penny there until that policy is changed. It really sucks, because I did like to shop there, but that policy is a deal breaker.

I have sent an email to their corporate office regarding the issue, but all of you in the Fort Myers/SW FL area need to let them know that you will not be giving them any more of your hard-earned money until they stop supporting criminals. I encourage all of you to not go there until they change their policy.

Here is a copy of the email that I sent...

"Hello. I am contacting you about one of your property policies. I see that your business is listed here: http://floridacarry.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=19&Itemid=30 . I'm not sure why you insist on making your property a self-defense free zone, but I just wanted to let you know that I will not be giving another penny of money to any of the stores located on your property.

It's ridiculous that you disarm law-abiding citizens and make them easy targets for criminals. Now, you may think "Hey, no big deal. You're just one customer among thousands that we get daily." However, there are many more law-abiding citizens that do not like being made easy targets for criminals, and rest assured, this will be posted on as many firearm forums as possible, and until you change your asinine policies, you will lose quite a bit of business. Much more than you think...

It's a shame. I really did like going to the stores located on your property. You guys maintain the place very well, and the shopping experiences that I've had have been quite pleasant. But this policy is a deal breaker... I truly hope that you will consider not supporting criminals anymore, but until you do, you will be losing money daily."

Last edited:

JeepSeller

Now, I've never seen a sign that said "no weapons allowed", but I just happened to be browsing the Florida Carry website, and saw that they DO NOT allow weapons on their property.

First of all, I think I'd like to see a sign like that with my own eyes first. That might be somewhat embarrassing if your source were incorrect about the marketplace's policy, wouldn't it?

Lastly, and more importantly, you do realize that, even if they do have a sign, that sign is about as worthless as the gum you step in on the way to the door with that sign, right? "No guns" signs do not have the weight of law in Florida, meaning, it's not illegal to ignore their precious sign. Basically, in a nutshell, a private person or entity cannot make something illegal by simply posting a sign saying you can't do it.

Even if that marketplace were county or city property, State Preemption makes it unlawful, as, only the State of Florida can legally govern firearms.

And, while I respect your choice to refuse to do business with such places, personally, I refuse to let such ignorance have that much power over me and my actions. Why should I have to get back in my car, spend more of my time and my gas going somewhere I didn't intend to shop because of a stupid sign? Nope, I get much more satisfaction out of tugging on my cover-shirt and giving my Beretta a little pat as I smile and walk right past their %$@#! sign.

KeepShootin

First of all, I think I'd like to see a sign like that with my own eyes first. That might be somewhat embarrassing if your source were incorrect about the marketplace's policy, wouldn't it?

Lastly, and more importantly, you do realize that, even if they do have a sign, that sign is about as worthless as the gum you step in on the way to the door with that sign, right? "No guns" signs do not have the weight of law in Florida, meaning, it's not illegal to ignore their precious sign. Basically, in a nutshell, a private person or entity cannot make something illegal by simply posting a sign saying you can't do it.

Even if that marketplace were county or city property, State Preemption makes it unlawful, as, only the State of Florida can legally govern firearms.

And, while I respect your choice to refuse to do business with such places, personally, I refuse to let such ignorance have that much power over me and my actions. Why should I have to get back in my car, spend more of my time and my gas going somewhere I didn't intend to shop because of a stupid sign? Nope, I get much more satisfaction out of tugging on my cover-shirt and giving my Beretta a little pat as I smile and walk right past their %$@#! sign.

I don't think Florida Carry would put it on their site if it wasn't true... They are a very thorough organization IMO. Also, I'm well aware of the signs having no weight in Florida. It's the principle of the whole issue... There is one thing that I've always wondered about, though. Lets say that someone sees your gun, calls the cops, they arrive and charge you with armed trespassing. Now, say you go back again (not saying that I would, this is just a hypothetical situation...), another person sees your gun and calls the cops. Can the cops charge you with anything more severe than armed trespassing, given the fact that they've already charged you with it before, so it's not like you could say "Oh, I didn't see the sign."?

As far as going somewhere else, there are plenty other places that I can go to within 5-10 miles, so it's not a big deal... I just like going THERE, because it's a really nice place to shop.

JeepSeller

. I just like going THERE, because it's a really nice place to shop.

That's kind of my point. So, you're going to let someone's stupidity dictate where you shop?

I really do understand the whole "Point of it" thing, and, as I say, I do respect your choice and I will glady defend your right to make it 100%. For me, I just choose to refuse to give them that kind of power over me and my actions. For me, it's no different than someone trying to tell me which car to buy, what kind of laundry detergent to use, what brand of cigars to smoke.... In other words, to me, it's akin to someone making my decisions for me. I refuse to give up any more freedoms if I have anything to say about it. Since that sign doesn't (legally) impact my freedom to carry my firearm where I damn well please, I also won't let that sign impact my freedom to shop where I damn well please.

As to the cops showing up and arresting you for armed trespass should your blasphemous ignoring of their precious sign be discovered, I don't believe they can just show up and arrest you for ignoring the sign. Again, no private person or entity can make carrying a firearm illegal, only the state can do that. So, you wouldn't be in violation of any law by ignoring that sign.

Now, should your blasphemy be discovered, you are asked to leave, and you refuse? NOW, you're in violation of a law and can be arrested for trespass. (armed possibly)

But, I think the motto here is, for me anyway, is, screw the sign, if caught and asked to leave, I'll leave, and I'll let THAT action and injustice to my freedoms dictate my future business with that place.....not their stupid sign.

If any of that makes sense. I'm running on the tail end of an all-nighter at work.

Rich7553

JeepSeller, he's correct. Of course, the irony is that one of the largest retailers at Gulf Coast Town Center is Bass Pro Shops. So anyone who purchases a firearm at Bass Pro, or brings a firearm there for service or whatever reason, violates the landlord's "policy". Here are photos of the signs, which are at each of the roads leading into the center. How anyone can read these policies as they're driving in is a mystery to me. Note #19 on the sign:

IMG00012-20100818-0713.jpg

IMG00013-20100818-0713.jpg

IMG00011-20100818-0709.jpg

JeepSeller

LOL Precisely why I refuse to allow those silly signs to dictate anything to me other than humor. I'm not about to stop, dig out my magnifying glass to read THAT as I drive by. LOL

We know they're meaningless. I give them their due respect...I ignore them completely.

Rich, FWIW, I wasn't doubting the validity of Florida Carry's listing of the marketplace as posted, more so to practice of accepting virtually anything posted on the internet at face value without further verification. After all, it's not beyond the realm of possibility for a list to be inaccurate.

I grew up going to the Mall of Memphis when I visited my grandparents there as a young pup. That mall has been closed and torn down now for almost 10 years. It's not impossible to find it still listed on some websites as a retail location.

I'm presently planning a trip to Colorado for a close friend's wedding. Just last night, I went to book a hotel in Glenwood Springs I've used many times. (although some years ago) it's not only closed, but, like my teenage haunt in Memphis, it's gone completely, yet it still comes up on many travel sites.

The point wasn't to insult a known positive website for our cause, but, to point out that info found on the web should always be taken with a grain of salt IMHO.

...including the crap I usually say. *grin*

Last edited:

ADulay

Obviously all of the replies here are correct.

CC in the Mall (and Bass Pro Shops) all you want. It's never been a problem for me since the place went up.

If, for some very odd reason, you are asked to leave because of your "concealed weapon", just say OK and leave.

It's a non-event waiting to happen.

I don't personally know of anyone who has ever been asked to leave any mall because of a concealed carry problem.

And I know a LOT of guys who practically live at those Bass Pro Shops!

AD (their Glock prices were too high for me though.)

Rich7553

LOL Precisely why I refuse to allow those silly signs to dictate anything to me other than humor. I'm not about to stop, dig out my magnifying glass to read THAT as I drive by. LOL

We know they're meaningless. I give them their due respect...I ignore them completely.

Rich, FWIW, I wasn't doubting the validity of Florida Carry's listing of the marketplace as posted, more so to practice of accepting virtually anything posted on the internet at face value without further verification. After all, it's not beyond the realm of possibility for a list to be inaccurate.

I grew up going to the Mall of Memphis when I visited my grandparents there as a young pup. That mall has been closed and torn down now for almost 10 years. It's not impossible to find it still listed on some websites as a retail location.

I'm presently planning a trip to Colorado for a close friend's wedding. Just last night, I went to book a hotel in Glenwood Springs I've used many times. (although some years ago) it's not only closed, but, like my teenage haunt in Memphis, it's gone completely, yet it still comes up on many travel sites.

The point wasn't to insult a known positive website for our cause, but, to point out that info found on the web should always be taken with a grain of salt IMHO.

...including the crap I usually say. *grin*

No problem sir! I took no offense and inferred no insult. Since I was the individual who took the pics and posted them to the Florida Carry "gunbusters" list, I was in a position to easily provide them for your inspection.

JeepSeller

No problem sir! I took no offense and inferred no insult. Since I was the individual who took the pics and posted them to the Florida Carry "gunbusters" list, I was in a position to easily provide them for your inspection.

I'm humble enough to admit, I honestly didn't go there and see the pics myself prior to making my comments.