• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silver City Mayor rescinds ban on guns

snoball

Thanks to the gun owners in Silver City that opposed the Mayor’s gun ban he imposed on January 10, 2012. It is this type of action that keeps our guns in our hands. The Mayor acknowledged that he had violated the State Constitution by banning firearms in the Town Council Meetings. In addition, the Mayor had considered joining “Mayors Against Illegal Guns”. This is similar to Ruidoso Mayor Ray Alborn's ban on firearms in municipal buildings in September, 2011. It is good to know the Mayors are getting a lesson in freedom! When will they learn to stop attempts at such bans??
Here are some of the press releases:
http://www.scsun-news.com/ci_19823086
http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2012/01/27/news/around-new-mexico-110.html
Essentially here is the story:

SILVER CITY — Mayor James Marshall this week quickly rescinded a ban on bringing weapons into Silver City Town Council meetings.
Marshall said he recently realized that the ban, enacted at the Jan. 10 town council meeting, was an unconstitutional infringement on the right to bear arms.
The mayor said he had gotten a whole week of support, with one or two emails a day from residents who supported the ban. But he said opposition started rolling in after the National Rifle Association sent a postcard to Silver City members telling them Marshall intended to join Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a national group of mayors that promotes tougher federal, state and local gun regulation.
“My statement was that I was approached by the organization to sign on for Silver City and I was requesting input on whether it was a good idea or not,” he said.
Marshall said he is a gun owner and had no intention of violating anyone’s constitutional rights. He said the ban’s intent was to make council meetings as comfortable as possible after someone complained about feeling threatened by a person with a gun.

AH.74

It's too bad these idiots can't bother themselves with knowing the law before they make stupid decisions.

He's a Mayor, and a gun owner, yet wasn't familiar with the state's constitutional provisions. And neither was the town's counsel, apparently. Irresponsible to say the least.

Thanks for posting this.