• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper labeling your home for ammo storage????

scouser

Small arms ammuntion is ORM-D, and therefore exempt from being placarded on a commercial vehicle. Doesn't matter how much there is, ORM-D is exempt. It isn't determined by the total weight in this case, instead it's the individual amount in each round.

If you want to start arguing that people should placard their homes then I suggest everyone starts placarding their vehicles because of the fuel in their gas tank, I mean have you seen how dangerous that stuff is if it gets set alight? [/sarcasm]

Firedawg314

Small arms ammuntion is ORM-D, and therefore exempt from being placarded on a commercial vehicle. Doesn't matter how much there is, ORM-D is exempt. It isn't determined by the total weight in this case, instead it's the individual amount in each round.

If you want to start arguing that people should placard their homes then I suggest everyone starts placarding their vehicles because of the fuel in their gas tank, I mean have you seen how dangerous that stuff is if it gets set alight? [/sarcasm]

... once again... I'm not ... NOT arguing to place labels on home, etc.

JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOW OF ANY "HOME OWNER, ETC" LAWS that deals with storing a certain amount of ammo. that's it. I basically mention some things that I "know of" and wanted feedback... that's it. Since there are people here that know certain facts or even went through a few things.

You make a good point about it being exempt. If it is, that's great. if not, then the idea is... what to do next.

Aknazer

Small arms ammunition is a Class C explosive, not a 1.4 explosive.

As such, as I remember, it requires no placarding for shipping, unless maybe in truckload quantities.

No special markings should be required for storage.

In a house fire, it goes off like popcorn.

When I talked with the police on base (nevermind the reason) they told me that the ammo is a 1.4 explosive and as such I didn't have to declare it or have it stored in the armory while I was staying at the base hotel.

Aknazer

Go ahead and discuss this subject.

Report my post on this thread to the Moderator or Admin if you feel that I violated a forum rule.

A residential dwelling vs. a commercial building where ammo is stored?

I had quoted Handy, I don't know why you thought I was talking to you...

PistolPackingMomma

now i agree w/the other posters...it is nobody's business on how much 'stuff' i store within my RESIDENTIAL building(s). I personally do not care if the FD 'would appreciate' knowing this and there is certainly no NFP criteria to notify the Fire Marshall of stores maintained within your residence...

+10 to the 10th power.

are there any rules for having "X" amount of ammo/ gunpower in a home?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say NO. What is not prohibited is permitted. What if someone has a cellar full of alcohol? That's a potential Molotov cocktail! We all know from the movies that it makes an explosion bigger than a cargo ship full of gasoline, after all. :rolleyes:

Jack House

Isn't there a federal law that restricts the amount of powder you can store for personal use without the appropriate license or some such?