• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit help for a newbie

Need advice

Good afternoon everyone! This is my first post and also my first time applying for a pistol permit. I applied on Nov. 4,2011 and was fingerprinted that evening. I called the Meriden PD on the 8th week and was told that they don't get anything back for 13 weeks. I mentioned the 8 week statute and was told there was a backlog. Called DPS and was told they couldn't release any info to me personally, but there was a 12-14 week backlog. I retrieved my money order receipts and found out that the $50.00 one was cashed on 11/17/11. The $19.25 one was cashed on 11/18/11, and the $70.00 one was cashed on 12/5/11. I kept calling once a week and kept getting the same automated response; they wouldn't check the file at all. Out of curiosity, I called the FBI number I found on this site (thanks!) and was told they received on november 29, 2011. It was processed and sent back on Nov 29th as well. Today is the 13th week and I finally got them to check. She said it was heading to the detective bureau and then has to get written up. What does that mean? I was also told that now it takes 16 weeks -_-

Rich B

Need advice

Thanks for the rapid response Rich. I will make sure to file an appeal. What happens in the "detective bureau"? Is that where u get the final approval for your permit? I'm assuming I was approved because she said it had to get written up?

Rich B

Thanks for the rapid response Rich. I will make sure to file an appeal. What happens in the "detective bureau"? Is that where u get the final approval for your permit? I'm assuming I was approved because she said it had to get written up?

Was it the local PD that mentioned the detective bureau or the state DESPP/SPBI?

brk913

I am curious, a question for the OP, did a Meriden Detective visit your house? I have been told that Meriden is running the background checks, sitting on them after they receive them back and then scheduling a "home interview" with a Detective, then after a bit more time giving an answer on the permit. So, I just want to know if what I have heard is true, regardless, you should file an appeal immediatly , they are way over the time allowed by statute.

Last edited:

Need advice

Really? i was told no such thing, unless thats whats going on at the detective bureau? this is a new experience for me so i can't say it isn't so. If it does happen though, I'll definetly let you know

KIX

BRK, I don't think they do that ALL the time. Which is odd.

They do seem to have a problem with fingerprints though and notifying you after 8 weeks that your prints are "smudged" and need to redo them.

Jonathan

Need advice

Thank you guys for all the support! I never got a single letter from them. It's just frustrating that I paid all the fees; and all been cashed. I asked the lady fingerprinting if our prints(my dads and mine) she said perfect.4 Im a law abiding citizen, I don't have any kind of record nor arrests. (sorry for venting) I hope the whole issue is resolved and that the state gets their act together. My father and I are anxiously waiting for our first father-son trip to a range where us guys can spend some quality time (no offense mom! :-D) Gotta love the constitution state!

hansmike

You're certainly not alone in this. I submitted my prints and application on Oct 26th, sent to SPBI same day allegedly, and was processed by the FBI on Dec 8th. Who knows who's desk it's sitting on now. Sent out for an appeal. I also took Edward Peruta's advice in another thread and sent a complaint letter to the State Auditors Office of Public Accounts. The Department of Public Safety is clearly abusing these fees by cashing them and not rendering any services. A similar letter to your district congressman probably wouldn't hurt either.

I have a question for the people who know the system. When you purchase a long arm without a pistol permit, you have to wait the 14 day waiting period. What happens in these 2 weeks? Does the state run their background check? If so, would it be ANY (besides the FBI part) different then the state running their background check for a pistol permit? Why would that take 2 weeks and it's almost been 2 months for me?

Rich B

I have a question for the people who know the system. When you purchase a long arm without a pistol permit, you have to wait the 14 day waiting period. What happens in these 2 weeks? Does the state run their background check? If so, would it be ANY (besides the FBI part) different then the state running their background check for a pistol permit? Why would that take 2 weeks and it's almost been 2 months for me?

Nothing happens. This is a 'cool down' period. It was inherited from a time when the FBI check did actually take that long, but it currently does nothing. The NCIC is automated and pretty much instant now.

The state is sitting on your FBI check. This is well documented here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-1080-pistol-permit-background-checks-denying

Need advice

Would they deny me if i keep a moderate pace of phone calls? I made it clear that it's not my intent to be bothersome, just trying to stay on top of my affairs. Can i just print out the sample appeal letter and just fill it out? Or should i make it a bit more informational and include the dates i currently have

Rich B

Would they deny me if i keep a moderate pace of phone calls? I made it clear that it's not my intent to be bothersome, just trying to stay on top of my affairs. Can i just print out the sample appeal letter and just fill it out? Or should i make it a bit more informational and include the dates i currently have

If they do deny for phone calls, you are in exactly the same boat as you were before. You need to appeal.
If they expedite your permit for calling, you get your permit early.

There is no downside to making them follow the laws and appealing as soon as you have a case against them.

As far as the appeal letter, you need to send in the letter and the questionnaire. The questionnaire should give them all the information they could possibly need.

This is covered in depth here:

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

Last edited:

KIX

What Rich said.

Furthermore..... you have already been denied..... administratively.

The process is the only thing that can force them to get on the ball.

The mess with the state is a whole 'nother issue.

Jonathan

Need advice

So I got a phone call about 4 days ago (3 days after I filed the appeal). It was the records dept at meriden pd. I was told that they misplaced the copy of my license, and they needed me to come down to make another one. Ironically I had just walked out of there approximately 5 mins before said phone call, and I was told that a detective would come to my house for an interview. I asked how long that can take, and was asked when I handed it in. I replied nov 4th and she said aw u got a long way to go: it is now taking 16-19 weeks o_0.. I left then got the call, went back and gave them my license, and was told that it was goin to the detectives office in 2 days. I contacted Ralph Sherman and was told Meriden has been horrible lately. I might choose to have him represent me at the appeal, if I don't get it in 20 weeks. I'm now at 14. So come to find out, Meriden does do detective interviews and lose paperwork..

RCZJ

You should have that temp permit no later than 56 days after you submit your app to the local authority. Anything later and the State/local authority is breaking the law and should be held accountable.

Rich B

So I got a phone call about 4 days ago (3 days after I filed the appeal). It was the records dept at meriden pd. I was told that they misplaced the copy of my license, and they needed me to come down to make another one. Ironically I had just walked out of there approximately 5 mins before said phone call, and I was told that a detective would come to my house for an interview. I asked how long that can take, and was asked when I handed it in. I replied nov 4th and she said aw u got a long way to go: it is now taking 16-19 weeks o_0.. I left then got the call, went back and gave them my license, and was told that it was goin to the detectives office in 2 days. I contacted Ralph Sherman and was told Meriden has been horrible lately. I might choose to have him represent me at the appeal, if I don't get it in 20 weeks. I'm now at 14. So come to find out, Meriden does do detective interviews and lose paperwork..

I don't think Meriden is being truthful to you. You can find the real details on the delay here:

http://ctcarry.com/Issues/SPBIBacklog

Anything outside of these facts are meaningless.

Collect your dates, as soon as a deadline is breached, appeal immediately.

Need advice

Sooooo... I got the call from the detective today bright and early around 7. I expected him to ask when would be a good time to come interview me, but was asked to go to the station instead. He said all I needed was me and my license. Expecting a barrage of questions, I walked in only to be asked for my license, wether I still lived at the same address, and if I was working or going to school. After all was said and done he said ok I'm approving your application it's going to the deputy chiefs office to get signed and printed, you'll get a letter in about a week :) now it's just the "final" wait (I hope). Yet I will not withdraw appeal until the temp is in my hand!