• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a cop really do this?

Firedawg314

I was reading another post and I had a pretty good question, and maybe some of you can answer…

As we know of and we have all seen it on movies and TV shows; that a cop can “commandeer” your vehicle for “police duties”.

Now, if we were to have a situation where mass outages, and or natural disaster…
What would you do, if you are bug’n out, and a cop (and you can probably tell), want to commandeer your vehicle and stuff because you are prepared and he/she is not.
Can you say “no”? Could you treat the cop like you would as a “robber/ looter”?

Because I was be SO PISSED off, if a cop wants to take my things because I was prepared. Also, there are a number of cops out here pretending to be a current cop. I probably couldn’t tell the difference between a fake one and a real one.

rscottie

To paraphrase what Wyatt Earp said to Behan in the movie Tombstone after the shootout at OK Corral, I think it would go about like this.

As four gun barrels point at the "officer" that is attempting to take my vehicle, I would politely tell him, "I don't think I'm going to let you take my vehicle today officer."

Disclaimer: The above is for full blown SHTF, Zombie Apocalypse, End of the World situations. I am by no means advocating pointing guns at cops that are acting lawfully.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...As we know of and we have all seen it on movies and TV shows; that a cop can “commandeer” your vehicle for “police duties”...

In the movies, I seem to remember that the only way they are allowed to ask for your vehicle is if they are standing in front of it, with their sidearm pointed at you, too.

I don't think that is going to go over too well...

Firedawg314

In the movies, I seem to remember that the only way they are allowed to ask for your vehicle is if they are standing in front of it, with their sidearm pointed at you, too.

I don't think that is going to go over too well...

Yeah... that won't be a pretty day for me. I just pray, they'll never do something like that.

Seigi

Stepping in front of a two ton, self-propelled, 6' wide bludgeon and then threatening the wielder's life? They'd better hope their uniform doesn't take much longer to register than their weapon, or the wrong pedal might get stepped on.

gunns

If it didn't interfere with my life and it wasn't a life threatening situation for my family (not SHTF), I would let him have my vehicle. I am very polite to law enforcement and have had nothing but a good track record with them and I would support them in just about any situation.

If it was a real SHTF situation, I wouldn't hesitate to use force as an answer. At the SHTF point, everyone is suspect and no one is getting me or mine. If you tried to convince him with some wise words while pointing weapons, you are just as likely going to die as he is. Let God sort it out after. I would also bet that if he or she wanted your vehicle, it isn't for business but for him or her getting to their own family.

ncwabbit

truly didn't hear of any law enforcement try commodeering vehicles during New Orleans catastrophe pre se, just flat out violation of citizen's civil rights so even if the zombies are coming over the hill i do not think LE will be interested in your vehicle(s).

wabbit

stargateranch

Humm

If a cop wanted to take my piece of crap I would assume he is drunk. One of our officer got his patrol car stolen by an arrested individual. We had the discussion could he have chased his own car with the suspects car. We looked it up and yes. We still give him crap about that and that was nine years ago.

DWCook

Activist Member
If I was a part of that department, I too would give the other officer crap out of good fun. Just picturing it brings a slight chuckle to me.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
If a cop wanted to take my piece of crap I would assume he is drunk. One of our officer got his patrol car stolen by an arrested individual. We had the discussion could he have chased his own car with the suspects car. We looked it up and yes. We still give him crap about that and that was nine years ago.

LOL ... nice! Now that is a great story!

sawah

My four wheels are a lot faster than his two feet...see ya. :cool:

Hey, that's a good way to get SHOT...failing to follow the orders under color of law, of a police officer who is trying to, oh, IDK, apprehend a sassy Church lady, whose mouth is ARMED & DANGEROUS. (At least in Culpeper).

/sarcastic rant

aosailor

I'm sorry, but nobody drives my car but me. I worked too damn hard taking care of and paying her off for somebody else to enjoy her. He can ride shotgun if he likes.

Beretta92FSLady

If it was zombie apocalypse time, well: I want to see an officer (any person for that matter) take my 1978 GMC Suburban when I have the gas to the floor, and six people in the truck who know how to sight and hit a target.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Depending on the jurisdiction and circumstances, the fire department can commandeer private property as well.

I concur.

Although we try to ask first.

I ran mutual aid to a call in a rural area with no supply (hydrant), tanker was minutes out.... 1000 gallon reserve tank on the engine was gone in a heartbeat..... The house was fully involved...... Neighbor had a pool, knocked on the door, no one answered....

We kicked down the gate, dropped a supply line into the pool, and prevented dwelling extension until tanker showed up, where we quickly extinguished the blaze.

The county DID pay for all the damages to the gate, refilled the pool, and even sodded the grass.... The guy was NOT happy, as I understood it, he was on vacation at the time.

His siding was melted (vinyl), and part of his roof was singed....... We explained to him that had we NOT dropped a line in his pool, and waited the few minutes for the tanker to arrive, his house would've been consumed as well... After that, he seemed to calm down a bit.....

I never dealt with the legal aspect, I was just a hose dragger. I let officers handle that crap.

Freedom1Man

I concur.

Although we try to ask first.

I ran mutual aid to a call in a rural area with no supply (hydrant), tanker was minutes out.... 1000 gallon reserve tank on the engine was gone in a heartbeat..... The house was fully involved...... Neighbor had a pool, knocked on the door, no one answered....

We kicked down the gate, dropped a supply line into the pool, and prevented dwelling extension until tanker showed up, where we quickly extinguished the blaze.

The county DID pay for all the damages to the gate, refilled the pool, and even sodded the grass.... The guy was NOT happy, as I understood it, he was on vacation at the time.

His siding was melted (vinyl), and part of his roof was singed....... We explained to him that had we NOT dropped a line in his pool, and waited the few minutes for the tanker to arrive, his house would've been consumed as well... After that, he seemed to calm down a bit.....

I never dealt with the legal aspect, I was just a hose dragger. I let officers handle that crap.

If I was the pool owner I would have been perfectly happy after they fixed the gate. I figure that the cost of re-filling the pool was lower than the cost of being rude and I would hope that the neighbor would do the same thing if the situation was reversed.

Now if I was home and was asked at the barrel of gun. I would not have agreed.

Like a firefighter I know told me, "the cops don't understand why it is that when a fireman kicks down a door and floods a house that the citizens thank them, but when a cop knocks on the wrong door even citizens get pissed off." The fireman told him, "it's simple, people ask us firemen to come out people don't want you in the area that and we don't have the egos that cops do." He told me that part of his job was simply to show up an defuse situations that the cops had stirred up through their rude interaction with people.

Last edited: