• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a cop really do this?

Jack House

In a true SHTF situation? Hell no. He ain't gettin my car. Any other time? I dunno.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Freedom1Man

In a true SHTF situation? Hell no. He ain't gettin my car. Any other time? I dunno.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Another time? Hell no. Not without some big pay out in the end.

The guy going 100 MPH on the freeway is less of a danger than idiots who can't signal before lane changes, leave signals on for miles and miles, those who are too small to see over the dash of their cars, etc.

If they are chasing a stolen car then they need to find those who have stolen all the other cars. The cops cause more damage in their pursuit of a stolen car then the guy/gal who stole the car will ever do on average.

If they asked me to help them engage in a chase with the guaranty of immunity and cash for doing it then I might do it.

sharkey

This is the closest I could find in AZ law. Yeah, it's a stretch maybe. It's not just for cops though.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/00417.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

13-417. Necessity defense

A. Conduct that would otherwise constitute an offense is justified if a reasonable person was compelled to engage in the proscribed conduct and the person had no reasonable alternative to avoid imminent public or private injury greater than the injury that might reasonably result from the person's own conduct.

B. An accused person may not assert the defense under subsection A if the person intentionally, knowingly or recklessly placed himself in the situation in which it was probable that the person would have to engage in the proscribed conduct.

C. An accused person may not assert the defense under subsection A for offenses involving homicide or serious physical injury.

and
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/00402.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

13-402. Justification; execution of public duty

A. Unless inconsistent with the other sections of this chapter defining justifiable use of physical force or deadly physical force or with some other superseding provision of law, conduct which would otherwise constitute an offense is justifiable when it is required or authorized by law.

B. The justification afforded by subsection A also applies if:

1. A reasonable person would believe such conduct is required or authorized by the judgment or direction of a competent court or tribunal or in the lawful execution of legal process, notwithstanding lack of jurisdiction of the court or defect in the legal process; or

2. A reasonable person would believe such conduct is required or authorized to assist a peace officer in the performance of such officer's duties, notwithstanding that the officer exceeded the officer's legal authority.

Also, the police here can draft you if I read this right.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03802.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

13-3802. Right to command aid for execution of process; punishment for resisting process

A. When a sheriff or other public officer authorized to execute process finds, or has reason to believe that resistance will be made to execution of the process, such officer may command as many inhabitants of the county as the officer deems proper to assist in overcoming such resistance.

B. The officer shall certify to the court from which the process issued the names of those persons resisting, and they may be proceeded against for contempt of court.

Grizz272

Came offthe freeway years ago to a snow drift across the road. I was first in line a County Sheriff deputy was second and a 4x4 with a snowplow was third. The deputy ordered the 4x4 to move the drift and open the road. The driver was reluctant until the deputy quoted him statue and verse. The 4x4 open the road. The deputy put it this way, you do it or I will and if I break something it will be at least next month before the county pays for it.

jrob33

in the original question you used the term "bugging out" and you listed vehicle and "stuff" "because you are prepared"...so Im assuming you mean my guns, food, water and medical supplies (at least a part of them) are in the vehicle..I will say this...I have collected those supplies in the event that I need them to keep me and mine alive, therefore in a true SHTF situation any attempt to take them is a direct threat to the life of me and my loved ones I will deal with that threat accordingly. I have collected firearms and ammo specifically to defend those supplies. I dont care what you are wearing or what authority you think you have this scenario comes down to them or me and mine.

END_THE_FED

3-3802. Right to command aid for execution of process; punishment for resisting process

A. When a sheriff or other public officer authorized to execute process finds, or has reason to believe that resistance will be made to execution of the process, such officer may command as many inhabitants of the county as the officer deems proper to assist in overcoming such resistance.

B. The officer shall certify to the court from which the process issued the names of those persons resisting, and they may be proceeded against for contempt of court.

Wouldn't this be a violation of the 13th amendment to the Constitution For The United States?

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction....."

Last edited:

Logan 5

Now, if we were to have a situation where mass outages, and or natural disaster…
What would you do, if you are bug’n out, and a cop (and you can probably tell), want to commandeer your vehicle and stuff because you are prepared and he/she is not.
Can you say “no”?
Can you say no? certainly. But how would you know the cop wants it because you are prepared? Odds are the cop has family. Odds are the cop is already prepared in some fashion.

Could you treat the cop like you would as a “robber/ looter”?
I would ask them why. "Why do you need MINE and not someone elses?" is another good question.

I ran mutual aid to a call in a rural area with no supply (hydrant), tanker was minutes out.... 1000 gallon reserve tank on the engine was gone in a heartbeat..... The house was fully involved...... Neighbor had a pool, knocked on the door, no one answered....

We kicked down the gate, dropped a supply line into the pool, and prevented dwelling extension until tanker showed up, where we quickly extinguished the blaze.

The county DID pay for all the damages to the gate, refilled the pool, and even sodded the grass.... The guy was NOT happy, as I understood it, he was on vacation at the time.

His siding was melted (vinyl), and part of his roof was singed....... We explained to him that had we NOT dropped a line in his pool, and waited the few minutes for the tanker to arrive, his house would've been consumed as well... After that, he seemed to calm down a bit.....

I never dealt with the legal aspect, I was just a hose dragger. I let officers handle that crap.
He calmed down? Wow. Tell you what, in that particular scenario TW, all I would be concerned about is "is my neighbor ok?" and "is my home ok?". Pool water can be replaced. The grass can be regrown. You can't do that with a human life.
(I'm former volly ff)

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Let us look at some options.
1. The Individual who is attempting to take your vehicle is in a uniform(LEO).
2. The individual attempting to take your vehicle is in plain clothes (LEO or any other fool).

Would I allow #1 to take my vehicle? No. I do not give a rats azz what you are wearing, it is carjacking and you may very well get shot.

Would I allow #2 to take my vehicle? No. See above.

YoungGunz

Let us look at some options.
1. The Individual who is attempting to take your vehicle is in a uniform(LEO).
2. The individual attempting to take your vehicle is in plain clothes (LEO or any other fool).

Would I allow #1 to take my vehicle? No. I do not give a rats azz what you are wearing, it is carjacking and you may very well get shot.

Would I allow #2 to take my vehicle? No. See above.

I think this more or less sums it up perfectly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Neither OC or RKBA related - moved it.

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Logan 5

Oh, but it is on topic, Grape! You see, firefighters open carry most of the time when on a call.

Well, ok. So what if it's a fire hose. Or an ax. Or a fire extinguisher. But come on! They're still carrying those "weapons"/tools in the open!
(havn't you ever learned how to use a fire extinguisher or fire hose as a weapon?)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh, but it is on topic, Grape! You see, firefighters open carry most of the time when on a call.

Well, ok. So what if it's a fire hose. Or an ax. Or a fire extinguisher. But come on! They're still carrying those "weapons"/tools in the open!
(havn't you ever learned how to use a fire extinguisher or fire hose as a weapon?)

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

OC for ME

Is this thread, and by extension Logan 5's posts, not in "The Lounge"....."The Social Lounge?"

Yes, I am serious.
Clarification is requested for the benefit of all members.

OC for ME

He said he already moved it.
Yes, I did read that in his post of Yesterday, 06:24 AM, Post #35. Yet Grapeshot reiterates Forum Rule (8) again today, at 02:38 AM, in Post #37, after this thread was moved to The Social Lounge.