Thread: Maine: Firearm-Related Bills Expected to be Heard on Monday

Maine: Firearm-Related Bills Expected to be Heard on Monday

This Monday, at 10:00 a.m. in room 436, the Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hear two firearm-related bills of interest to Maine gun owners.

Legislative Document 1603, introduced by state Representative Dale Crafts (R-104), would prohibit the state from banning a state employee, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm, from keeping a firearm in his or her vehicle on state property as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

Legislative Document 1728, introduced by state Representative Gary Plummer (R- 111), would prohibit Maine’s concealed carry issuing authorities from approving a Maine nonresident permit if the nonresident applicant is from a state whose laws on such permits are substantially equivalent to or less restrictive than Maine law. This bill would also prohibit the issuing of a Maine nonresident carry permit if the nonresident applicant has already been denied a concealed carry permit in his or her current state of residency.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

so 1603 good and 1728 bad. Overall pretty bland and boring though. They need to spend their time fixing the numerous conflicts that arose from last sessions changes though and that rogue firearms permit to handgun permit change.
    Last edited by boyscout399; 01-28-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    This Monday, at 10:00 a.m. in room 436, the Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hear two firearm-related bills of interest to Maine gun owners.

Legislative Document 1728, introduced by state Representative Gary Plummer (R- 111), would prohibit Maine’s concealed carry issuing authorities from approving a Maine nonresident permit if the nonresident applicant is from a state whose laws on such permits are substantially equivalent to or less restrictive than Maine law. This bill would also prohibit the issuing of a Maine nonresident carry permit if the nonresident applicant has already been denied a concealed carry permit in his or her current state of residency.
    What is the point of passing this? What does it matter what the person's home state says regarding getting a permit. I'm in Michigan. I cannot get a MI CPL (not yet 21). Maine had no problem issuing me the permit which does nothing for me in MI. It does help me when I go to a state like Indiana where anyone with a permit can carry. I'm def against this bill!
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

To ALL Who are Concerned:

Maine will Present more Second Amendment Bills as The Session Continues.

If The Past is any Indication of The Future, then, These Expected Additional Bills will Surface in Short Order.

aadvark

The Legislature should get rid of the B.S.
    and pass Constitutional Carry....Period.

But I don't get permits or licenses from
    the Corporate STATE the Constitution is
    the Law I live by.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

Maine: Employee Protection Bill Moves to the House Floor

February 15, 2012

On Monday, LD 1603 was voted “ought to pass” as amended by an 8 to 5 vote by the Maine Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee. LD 1603 will now go to the House floor for consideration.

Big business lobbyists are waging an aggressive campaign to defeat LD 1603. This legislation would protect the right of a state employee, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm, to keep a firearm in his or her private vehicle for self-defense, hunting, or target shooting before or after work. The employee’s vehicle must be locked and the firearm cannot be visible. Businesses have no legitimate interest in micromanaging the lawful contents of one’s private vehicle.

The following state legislators supported LD 1603 in committee: Senator Garrett Mason (R), Senator Rodney Whittemore (R), Representative Gary Plummer (R), Representative David Burns (R), Representative Stephen Hanley (D), Representative Ricky Long (R), Representative Susan Morissette (R) and Representative Deborah Sanderson (R).

The following state legislators voted against LD 1603 in committee: Senator Stan Gerzofsky (D), Representative Anne Haskell (D), Representative Michel Lajoie (D), Representative Anna Blodgett (D) and Representative Michael Clarke (D).

Legislative Document 1603, introduced by state Representative Dale Crafts (R-104), would prohibit the state from banning a state employee, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm, from keeping a firearm in his or her vehicle on state property as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

LD 1603 needs your help, so please call AND e-mail your state Representative today and urge him or her to support LD 1603 when it comes to the House floor for a vote. Contact information for your state Representative can be found here.

In other committee business, LD 1728 was voted “ought not to pass” by an 8 to 4 vote. No further action is needed at this time.

Legislative Document 1728, introduced by state Representative Gary Plummer (R- 11), would prohibit Maine’s concealed carry issuing authorities from approving a Maine non-resident permit if the non-resident applicant is from a state whose laws on such permits are substantially equivalent to or less restrictive than Maine law. This bill would also prohibit the issuing of a Maine non-resident carry permit if the non-resident applicant has already been denied a concealed carry permit in his or her current state of residency.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

I don't understand why big business would lobby against 1603. The part that applies to them is already law. This would only expand the law to state employees on state property. It wouldn't affect private business at all. Makes no sense.

Any update on these or any other bills that might have come out since?