• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine: Firearm-Related Bills Expected to be Heard on Monday

Maine CWP Training

This Monday, at 10:00 a.m. in room 436, the Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hear two firearm-related bills of interest to Maine gun owners.

Legislative Document 1603, introduced by state Representative Dale Crafts (R-104), would prohibit the state from banning a state employee, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm, from keeping a firearm in his or her vehicle on state property as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

Legislative Document 1728, introduced by state Representative Gary Plummer (R- 111), would prohibit Maine’s concealed carry issuing authorities from approving a Maine nonresident permit if the nonresident applicant is from a state whose laws on such permits are substantially equivalent to or less restrictive than Maine law. This bill would also prohibit the issuing of a Maine nonresident carry permit if the nonresident applicant has already been denied a concealed carry permit in his or her current state of residency.

boyscout399

so 1603 good and 1728 bad. Overall pretty bland and boring though. They need to spend their time fixing the numerous conflicts that arose from last sessions changes though and that rogue firearms permit to handgun permit change.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

This Monday, at 10:00 a.m. in room 436, the Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hear two firearm-related bills of interest to Maine gun owners.

Legislative Document 1728, introduced by state Representative Gary Plummer (R- 111), would prohibit Maine’s concealed carry issuing authorities from approving a Maine nonresident permit if the nonresident applicant is from a state whose laws on such permits are substantially equivalent to or less restrictive than Maine law. This bill would also prohibit the issuing of a Maine nonresident carry permit if the nonresident applicant has already been denied a concealed carry permit in his or her current state of residency.

What is the point of passing this? What does it matter what the person's home state says regarding getting a permit. I'm in Michigan. I cannot get a MI CPL (not yet 21). Maine had no problem issuing me the permit which does nothing for me in MI. It does help me when I go to a state like Indiana where anyone with a permit can carry. I'm def against this bill!

aadvark

To ALL Who are Concerned:

Maine will Present more Second Amendment Bills as The Session Continues.

If The Past is any Indication of The Future, then, These Expected Additional Bills will Surface in Short Order.

aadvark

Butch00

The Legislature should get rid of the B.S.
and pass Constitutional Carry....Period.

But I don't get permits or licenses from
the Corporate STATE the Constitution is
the Law I live by.

Maine CWP Training

Maine: Employee Protection Bill Moves to the House Floor

February 15, 2012

On Monday, LD 1603 was voted “ought to pass” as amended by an 8 to 5 vote by the Maine Joint Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee. LD 1603 will now go to the House floor for consideration.

Big business lobbyists are waging an aggressive campaign to defeat LD 1603. This legislation would protect the right of a state employee, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm, to keep a firearm in his or her private vehicle for self-defense, hunting, or target shooting before or after work. The employee’s vehicle must be locked and the firearm cannot be visible. Businesses have no legitimate interest in micromanaging the lawful contents of one’s private vehicle.

The following state legislators supported LD 1603 in committee: Senator Garrett Mason (R), Senator Rodney Whittemore (R), Representative Gary Plummer (R), Representative David Burns (R), Representative Stephen Hanley (D), Representative Ricky Long (R), Representative Susan Morissette (R) and Representative Deborah Sanderson (R).

The following state legislators voted against LD 1603 in committee: Senator Stan Gerzofsky (D), Representative Anne Haskell (D), Representative Michel Lajoie (D), Representative Anna Blodgett (D) and Representative Michael Clarke (D).

Legislative Document 1603, introduced by state Representative Dale Crafts (R-104), would prohibit the state from banning a state employee, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm, from keeping a firearm in his or her vehicle on state property as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

LD 1603 needs your help, so please call AND e-mail your state Representative today and urge him or her to support LD 1603 when it comes to the House floor for a vote. Contact information for your state Representative can be found here.

In other committee business, LD 1728 was voted “ought not to pass” by an 8 to 4 vote. No further action is needed at this time.

Legislative Document 1728, introduced by state Representative Gary Plummer (R- 11), would prohibit Maine’s concealed carry issuing authorities from approving a Maine non-resident permit if the non-resident applicant is from a state whose laws on such permits are substantially equivalent to or less restrictive than Maine law. This bill would also prohibit the issuing of a Maine non-resident carry permit if the non-resident applicant has already been denied a concealed carry permit in his or her current state of residency.

boyscout399

I don't understand why big business would lobby against 1603. The part that applies to them is already law. This would only expand the law to state employees on state property. It wouldn't affect private business at all. Makes no sense.