• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how much can be covered?

Curtis C

How much can your gun be covered before its considered concealed? like your coat is covering the butt of the gun but you can see the rest.

Curtis C

yeah, that clears things up.sure its not nano inches? i looked, probably in the wrong spot couldn't find what i was looking for

MrOverlay

How much can your gun be covered before its considered concealed? like your coat is covering the butt of the gun but you can see the rest.
I believe this is going to be one of those beauty is in the eye of the beholder issues. IMO, if a person can discern that it is a firearm while in normal face to face interaction, I don't think there is a problem.

Even when a firearm is open carried you may still not see it depending on the physical position of the wearer. Sittinging in a booth, standing side on to the viewer, etc.

Most of these things are supposed to be measured against a "reasonable person". Would a reasonable person, in the same situation, have been able to tell it was a firearm.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth.

Gary

09jisaac

For those of us that use the english system: There is 25,400,000nm to an inch, so there is 645,160,000,000,000 nm^2 (6.4516 × 10^14) in every inch^2. So 65478.99947653/(6.4515 * 10^14)=0.000000000101494225 inches (1.01494225 × 10^-10). So you just need 1.01494225 * 10^-10 of gun showing.

If I did my math right......

Thos.Jefferson

?????????

So how big of an area is that? The size of a postage stamp? An elephant? I'm a bit lost on this one. Also which statute proclaims this? I was under the impression that if a reasonable man could tell it was a gun then you weren't concealing, even if it was covered by a piece of cloth?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Simple answer here. Keep your gun and holster visible! Don't put your jacket over the grip of your firearm and your ok! It's easy to keep your gun completely in the open, I done so for several years before getting my cdwl. If you want to hide part of it, get your cdwl and you have nothing to worry about. If your not of age yet to get a cdwl, keep it visible!

09jisaac

So how big of an area is that? The size of a postage stamp? An elephant? I'm a bit lost on this one. Also which statute proclaims this? I was under the impression that if a reasonable man could tell it was a gun then you weren't concealing, even if it was covered by a piece of cloth?

It isn't a definite law/ruling saying exactly how much of the gun should be visible. Just think of it this way: If someone can convince a jury (of your peers) that your gun is concealed then you probably should either rethink your carry method or get your CCDW.