• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plain Sight

Airon

I looked through the first few pages of threads and didnt see this subject so I guess ill ask. In cold weather do you have to make EXTRA sure that your carry piece in a OWB holster does not get covered by a jacket/sweatshirt etc?
Basicly Im asking do I have to tuck my jacket (unzipped) behind my holster to make sure it is 100% visible (four oclock position)? And if my jacket falls over my piece at any time am I then breaking the law by carrying concealed without a permit? WA st BTW. Thanks.

Last edited:

FMCDH

Washington law doesn't define the term "Concealed", so its a bit of a guessing game.

That being said, here is some relevant reading for you...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/concealed

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/concealed-weapons/

http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?46706-Definition-of-concealed-for-9-41-050

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry_in_the_United_States

I will try and find another thread where we talked about your question in some greater detail, but overall you should take whatever precautions you think are necessary to make sure it doesn't get covered, in part or in whole for any reason, just to be on the safe side.

hermannr

If you do not have a CPL, wear a jacket like a Carhartt Detroit, blanket lined, short, about belt height. Nice warm jacket if you get the correct size for your body type. I don't think you need to worry with it. I have a CZ82, with a thumb break leather holster that has a gap between the part that the belt goes into, and the part the pistol sits in...the Detroit jacket sits perfectly in that gap with that combo. I also have a CZ85 that I have an Alessi holster for that rides higher (it is perfect for sitting in the car) Even though the 85 is larger than the 82, the 82, with it's holster rides lower.

Another alternative would be a drop leg holster, Believe it or not: I saw a Tonasket Town Police officer (in uniform) with a drop leg last time I was in town. He was obviously also having a problem with the cold. I must say, that did look strange with the uniform.

If you have a CPL, don't worry about it. I just wear a coat that is proper for the temperature (yes I have a Carhartt Detroit, it's good to about 0°F) and if my carry is covered, it is covered., if not, Oh well. I normally OC, but I will not dress specifically for my carry. When it is cold, if I take my jacket off, I'm OC again. All but one of my holsters are leather OWB OC type holsters. I do have a shoulder holster for when I have a backpack on. I don't like it, but it has it's function.

I have a CPL for two reasons...#1: the wait when you purchase #2: Winter, it has been as low as -27°F at our place since we moved here 7 years ago. The Detroit won't cut that cold, down parka time. (it's 8°F right now)

It is very easy to get a CPL here in WA, resident or Not. $55.25 and about 15 minutes of your time at the local Sheriff's office. Worth the effort if only for the two reasons posted.

Last edited:

FMCDH

I wonder if they could consider your firearm concealed if you are wearing a clear plastic rain coat? It would be covered but visable.

Hmm...unless the view was obstructed by a collection of water vapor or rain drops, I wouldn't think so. You just never know with some LEOs however.

But interesting thought.

amlevin

Do yourself a favor, get your CPL, problem solved.

Agreed. It makes it unnecessary to remove, unload, and re-holster before getting on a bus or into any other vehicle. You then don't have to worry if too much of your clothing covers your weapon.

It was discussed a long time ago that "if a normal/prudent person could readily discern that the object was a firearm, then it couldn't be considered concealed."

But then there are some "wingnuts" that want everyone to believe that a holster is a form of concealment.

Airon

Ok thanks, I suppose a cwp is in order. Now to derail my own thread instead of a new one, I have another OC question. I know their is a list of OC friendly businesses but do you guys always check that list or do you assume that every business that you frequent is OC friendly until the manager/owner tells you differently?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Ok thanks, I suppose a cwp is in order. Now to derail my own thread instead of a new one, I have another OC question. I know their is a list of OC friendly businesses but do you guys always check that list or do you assume that every business that you frequent is OC friendly until the manager/owner tells you differently?

I go about my life. I don't check and I've never been asked to leave. The only exceptions I have are the mall.

FMCDH

I don't plan my day around no carry businesses.

If they don't want my money, they can post it in a way that's obvious or tell me themselves. The only exception is for businesses that have made it known through overt advertising (such as Peets Coffee, or California Pizza Kitchen, to name a few) or mistreatment of those who carry, that they don't want the business of legally armed citizens.

I will happily oblige, as there is no such thing as a product or service in this area that I cant get elsewhere.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I concur with others here. I'll check the friend foe site every so often to see if there have been any changes lately however I do not make it a point to check and create a plan for the day. I go about my day, without problems like anyone else. If I run into a sign, I go else where.

hermannr

First, in WA it is a concealed PISTOL license (CPL) not ""W" (weapons). Only works for a pistol, not a knife or anything else. Just so you are aware. I would hate to think you got your CPL and thought it covered that big clasp knife..OK?

As for businesses, there are actually very few (that I have run into) that object to OC or CC. I have my CPL, but OC most of the time (except now when I am wearing a coat for the cold weather)

sudden valley gunner

If you are new to OC and want to feel comfortable it is a good idea to check the list. I don't I just carry everywhere until asked to leave which never happens.

The most important thing in my opinion is to Know you are right and you belong then others will pick up on that confident vibe and feel comfortable around you.

Airon

I actualy work at COSTCO and I have only seen one OC'er and he was simply asked by management to please conceal it which he was happy to do. COSTCO is uber liberal but still a pretty good place to work. A few weeks ago a shoplifter pulled a gun on several employees when confronted. Apparantly he didnt know about our no firearms policy:rolleyes: