• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC in Movie Theaters

proudgunowner

Sorry if this is a double post but I could not find anything about it. I live in Raeford Nc and was going to go see a movie at Millstone 14. I saw that the flier said you cant OC in any place that requires a paid admission does the same go for CCing. And if it is legal has anyone done it here?

Thanks David

dmatting

The law doesn't mention method of carry so it is illegal for open or concealed carry in a place that charges admission.

NCGS 14-269.3(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Dreamer

Carry in any configuration is prohibited in movie theaters under NC law.

I can neither confirm or deny if I have ever carried in a movie theater, while enjoying the cinema with my family... :uhoh:

ArmySoldier22

Carry in any configuration is prohibited in movie theaters under NC law.

I can neither confirm or deny if I have ever carried in a movie theater, while enjoying the cinema with my family... :uhoh:

I can't fault you for neither confirming or denying that you have done so. I can second that I may or may not make the same decision that you may or may not have made, after I get around to getting my CHP... The admission law really needs to get thrown out.. It sure isn't stopping a BG from bringing in a knife or gun to rob/attempt to kill me with.

That being said, there's been quite a few stories recently where somebody defended themselves with a firearm in a place they shouldn't have had it, and the law took their side in the case. Not necessarily NC, but it's still good to see that there are Some sensible people in the legal system.

Dreamer

I can't fault you for neither confirming or denying that you have done so. I can second that I may or may not make the same decision that you may or may not have made, after I get around to getting my CHP... The admission law really needs to get thrown out.. It sure isn't stopping a BG from bringing in a knife or gun to rob/attempt to kill me with

The problem with NC's prohibitions on silly places likce movie theaters or restaurants that serve alcohol is twofold.

First, we can NOT know ahead of time when or where a criminal will strike. SO if we are going to carry for self-defense, we need to be able to carry ANYWHERE we would go inthe normal course of a law-abiding person's day.

Second, by forcing law-abiding citizens to leave their guns in their cars--in dark, unattended parking lots for hours at a time--the State is actually PUTTING GUNS INTO THE HANDS OF CRIMINALS, by making them easier to steal. The NC Department of Justice's own statistics state that nearly 70% of all handguns reported stolen in NC are stolen from vehicles. If they REALLY wanted to cut down on firearms thefts from vehicles, they would repeal these silly prohibitions, and allow us to keep our self-defense firearms where they are safest--on our hip!

And if you are CCing, remember that concealed means CONCEALED. If they can't see it, they can't make it an issue. I'm not advocating that anyone break the law, just that if you're going to carry concealed, then make SURE it is well-concealed.

Just sayin'.

Good luck. Be Safe. Carry on...

NC-Heel

I have never paid admission to enter a movie theater. They will let you in the front door for free. I have paid to watch a movie. That said, every theater I have been to in N.C. has a Gun Buster sticker on the front door.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I have never paid admission to enter a movie theater. They will let you in the front door for free. I have paid to watch a movie. That said, every theater I have been to in N.C. has a Gun Buster sticker on the front door.

CORRECTION:

You have never paid admission to enter the LOBBY of a movie theater.

But to enter the THEATER, you must purchase an admission ticket.

State law prohibits you from carrying a firearm into the THEATER not the lobby.

The "gun busters" signs make carry in the lobby area trespassing.

Both violations are misdemeanors.

MCPORET

And a violation, as a misdemeanor, would result in the revocation of your CC permit, correct?

CORRECTION:

You have never paid admission to enter the LOBBY of a movie theater.

But to enter the THEATER, you must purchase an admission ticket.

State law prohibits you from carrying a firearm into the THEATER not the lobby.

The "gun busters" signs make carry in the lobby area trespassing.

Both violations are misdemeanors.

ncwabbit

welcome to OC and while partially correct tho w/o a cite, dredging up an 9mth olde thread was a pleasant walk down memory lane...thanks...

wabbit

ps: the responding officers would have to be cranky to cite you instead of just asking you to leave...and if cited, yes you could lose your CHP on the spot to the officers and have to request reinstatement.

pps: to show i practice what i preach...14‑415.18. Revocation or suspension of permit.

J-SiN

The NC Department of Justice's own statistics state that nearly 70% of all handguns reported stolen in NC are stolen from vehicles. If they REALLY wanted to cut down on firearms thefts from vehicles, they would repeal these silly prohibitions, and allow us to keep our self-defense firearms where they are safest--on our hip!

Who could we talk to about getting the law changed? I wonder if many asked about it if we could get something done
Where does one start?

rotorhead

Who could we talk to about getting the law changed? I wonder if many asked about it if we could get something done
Where does one start?

One way is to contact your district's Representative and ask them to draft a bill and then introduce it on the floor of the NCGA.

J-SiN

ok so then we should organise as many as we can and start bombarding with phone calls asking for such a bill
Surely if lots of people were calling they would listen

NCCobra

I dont understand why we can't legally carry in any place that charges admission. What makes a theater any different from a gas station or grocery store? How does charging admission affect anything?

dmatting

I dont understand why we can't legally carry in any place that charges admission. What makes a theater any different from a gas station or grocery store? How does charging admission affect anything?

Welcome to the world of firearms regulations - absolutely none of it makes any sense (actually, most regulations make no sense - unless you follow the money, of course). All any of these laws do is prevent a law abiding citizen the ability to protect themselves or make them a criminal (if caught) if they choose to do so. Those who care less about laws will always ignore them.

carolina guy

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto,

I suppose it all get's down to a firm definition of what "assembly" means in NC. I have looked, and have found no good definition other than a reference to the General Assembly. The general definitions that I have seen are a gathering for a common purpose. Of course, the gun buster sign trumps all that. ;-)